Intel i7-5820K/GTX980 Build (upcoming)

MegaATVLover

I know, I know... I should really get off my a$$ and build a PC, but you know, Linus's videos are too good, I'm lazy as hell, and school really gets in the way...

Anyway, I've officially decided to go with an Intel i7-5820K and ASUS STRIX GTX 980 build. I'll hopefully be starting to buy parts pretty soon...

Here's the current parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MegaATVLover/saved/#view=tMc7YJ 

ive its for gaming and light youtube/twicht get a 4790K instead and save some money

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

ive its for gaming and light youtube/twicht get a 4790K instead and save some money

i intend to do heavy gaming/youtubing/twitching with this system as well as editing/rendering. i would rather spend the extra few bucks and be on the cutting edge vs. last generation...

i intend to do heavy gaming/youtubing/twitching with this system as well as editing/rendering. i would rather spend the extra few bucks and be on the cutting edge vs. last generation...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Id recommend ditching the HDD for now and just get an SSD so that your system is much snappier in loading times

Its really more of a "placeholder" actually... i do plan on putting an SSD in, but my dad and i have to have a conversation about that...

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, its been a little while... so, i heard that we are supposed to be getting a giant upgrade in graphics card processors next year, and that got me thinking... i was wondering if i would be bottlenecking this system or making the biggest mistake of my life by putting a GTX 960 in there for this year and doing a major upgrade next year? also, should i just spend the extra few bucks to get a 4GB VRAM version or just stick it out with 2 GB till next year? at the moment, i do all my gaming at 1080p and dont plan to upgrade to 1440p probably until at least next year anyway...

hey guys, its been a little while... so, i heard that we are supposed to be getting a giant upgrade in graphics card processors next year, and that got me thinking... i was wondering if i would be bottlenecking this system or making the biggest mistake of my life by putting a GTX 960 in there for this year and doing a major upgrade next year? also, should i just spend the extra few bucks to get a 4GB VRAM version or just stick it out with 2 GB till next year? at the moment, i do all my gaming at 1080p and dont plan to upgrade to 1440p probably until at least next year anyway...

There's nothing wrong with progress stepping your build if you wanna build the base of yoru build first, and then just slap in a cheap temp card to wait for the next series of GPUs.

There's nothing wrong with progress stepping your build if you wanna build the base of yoru build first, and then just slap in a cheap temp card to wait for the next series of GPUs.

thanks. i guess this is more what i was looking for, some justification for lack of a better term... since i'll be recording/editing/encoding on this machine, will i see any performance improvements at all if i get a 4gb version or should i save some money and get the standard 2gb version? (this will allow me to get a card that matches the aesthetic of my build better...)