Video camera on a $700 budget

I am trying to help my friend find a camera to get as his graduation gift. He really wants the Sony A6000, while I have been recommending the Nikon D5200. He has a separate audio setup, so no mic jack is no problem. It must be $700 or less and it will be primarily used for video. He is pushing for a DSLR and doesn't want a camcorder. Any suggestions?

I use a Nikon D3200 at the moment on which video quality is quite good but you might consider a D3300 if he needs 60/50 FPS

If the budget could be extended I'd say T6i or T6s (maybe even 70D) but the T5i would be fine. Or the Sony HDR-PJ670/B. The a6000 I would suspect is best for stills but not too sure for video. Sure Nikon has an audio jack for monitoring audio but it really depends what your friend wants to do. If he really wants to monitor audio then sure go with Nikon. (Even though I sort of don't care for Nikon for certain reasons [mostly the design/button layout and grip])

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

your friend is on the right track. The a6000 is known to have very high quality video. If he wants that, he should get it. Its a great all around camera and because its a mirror less, that gives him the option to use all kinds of lenses including vintage lenses which can be great for video without the need of an optical adapter.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz