Apple Genius Bar Review

Mew

This is my past two experiences in an Apple Store in a city that starts with "P" and ends with "a". This city also holds an annual event that is very well known. 

My objective of going to this Apple store was to get my phone replaced so that I would have a fresh battery for the next year despite there being no problems at all with my phone besides the usual wear and tear (minor scratches and nicks).

The first time I went, I claimed that I was having issues with my data connection- my LTE connection would drop to 3G at home and at school (Verizon sucks in my home and the cities surrounding it and coverage is fine at school except in the parking structures). Because my problem was with my carrier and not the phone, the genius was unable to replicate the connection dropping and suggested I go to a Verizon store to swap out my sim.

The second time I came back about 2-3 weeks after to try again as my warranty was 2 days from expiring. Once again, the genius was unable to replicate my "issue" and looked through every diagnostic data and said my phone was working fine and that I took very good care of my battery.

Wait time for both visits was about 20 minutes even though I had an appointment both times and arrived on time or early. The store was very crowded because it was in an area of high traffic. You have to go towards the back of the store to check in with a genius who would then assign you a seat at a table. After waiting a period of time, a genius will come up and greet you and ask you what kind of issues you are having with your unit. 

Conclusion: Both Apple geniuses did their jobs and didn't just hand me a new phone because I wanted a new phone that was scratch free and had a fresh battery. They were very clear in their explanation and very transparent in demonstrating that my phone was problem free. Wait times could had been shorter, but they made the best out of a very crowded store.

I had the "privilege of having to deal with these ass****s " last weekend after my son broke my 6plus glass they made me wait 4hrs to see me to fix the screen then when they did see me they told me that they couldn't fix the screen and replaced the phone with out asking me if all my items were saved so naturally i lost all my photos and numbers. BAAAA!   on top of that they were smug and rude 

I had the "privilege of having to deal with these ass****s " last weekend after my son broke my 6plus glass they made me wait 4hrs to see me to fix the screen then when they did see me they told me that they couldn't fix the screen and replaced the phone with out asking me if all my items were saved so naturally i lost all my photos and numbers. BAAAA!   on top of that they were smug and rude 

Usually if they replace something, they would inform you that you would lose all your data and ask if you've backed up your device. Additionally, you have to sign an agreement that you acknowledge that you would lose all your data. 

Honestly, it's pretty common sense that if you get a replacement device it won't have your old device's data on it. 

"Rawr XD"

Two questions. One, did you regularly perform iCloud backups like you should? Two, did you actually schedule an appointment? If the answer to both is no, it's probably your fault. They made mistakes, but so did you.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Honestly, it's pretty common sense that if you get a replacement device it won't have your old device's data on it. 

I believe ELSknutson went in for a screen replacement and was handed a new device.

As for the Genius bars, their very name sends a shiver down my spine.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I believe ELSknutson went in for a screen replacement and was handed a new device.

I went in for a screen replacement on my iPad and they would tell me that they'd just give me a new device (although charging me at the cost of replacing the screen, since it was still mint aside from the screen I'd assume that they'll do it later and then reuse it somehow)

"Rawr XD"

Yeah, although I do a ton of work on PCs, when my Imac broke I didn't have any spudgers or w/e to remove the glass to service it, and I am not familar with the OSX boot issues.  So, I took it to the Apple Store, and honestly the experience was pretty good.  They took the machine, found the problem in a day or so, and then called me if I wanted to have the service done.  No complaints.  

well technically if you sync it in with icloud beforehand it should all be there, every time ive gotten a new iphone, ive never lost data :P contacts, photos, apps, texts, it all transfers

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

well technically if you sync it in with icloud beforehand it should all be there, every time ive gotten a new iphone, ive never lost data :P contacts, photos, apps, texts, it all transfers

I mean out of the box lol, I think that when you set it up it asks you if you want to restore from an iCloud backup

"Rawr XD"

I mean out of the box lol, I think that when you set it up it asks you if you want to restore from an iCloud backup

ye

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

"Genius"

**shiver**

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

This is my past two experiences in an Apple Store in a city that starts with "P" and ends with "a". This city also holds an annual event that is very well known. 

Going to say Pamplona, though my familiarity with events in US Cities is not great and you seem to be American. Does Philadelphia host like an annual horse and cart race or something?

Going to say Pamplona, though my familiarity with events in US Cities is not great and you seem to be American. Does Philadelphia host like an annual horse and cart race or something?

I only thought of Philly, no other cities to my knowledge :3

And I love the Apple Genius Bar, they took my charger in and no fuss gave me a new one, not even testing the damn thing. Microsoft is useless though.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I had an Apple "genius" tell me that I should buy a macbook because itunes works better than on windows. When the ipad first came out I had an apple "genius" tell me I couldn't buy it with cash. Luckily a manager came over right away before I had to get too pissy. Overall, they are paid low wages and required to have minimal knowledge on products so it doesn't surprise me. 

If you are a cunt to a Genius, they will treat you in kind. Why? Cause they are human. And when you are dealing with a couple hundred people each day, you WILL come across little shits who  are, well, little shits. 

Be nice. Always do a backup before hand. Explain your situation well. DO NOT ARGUE cause their diagnostic tools will expose the fuck out of your lies. Just be reasonable. 

My 6+ had a very peculiar issue that was tied to my carrier, it would flip flop between 3G and LTE way too much and that kind of action kills battery faster than normal. So after a restore, a trip, and another trip, the genius and I had no idea what to do. Battery health was 97% after 110 cycles, everything checked out fine. He said he wouldn't replace my device this time, but the next time I came in I would get a new one no questions asked. 

Common courtesy goes a long way. Thankfully I figured out the issue and was changing carriers anyways, since my phone is rock solid. 

Geniuses will be straight up with you when they can or can't replace your device. I've seen people with shattered screens, not on AppleCare, just get new phones or iPads. Geniuses have a lot of flexibility in what they can get approval for. 

Like a lot in life, don't be a douchebag and you'll probably get taken care of just fine. Act entitled, and they will use every last ToS and guideline in the rulebook to make sure you get no breaks. Being a vindictive bastard is a skill that comes to retail employees far too easily; don't make them use it. 

I kind of want to work in one to be honest with you,mostly because you can specialize a bit more.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Last year they screwed with my 5C screen. Few days later it broke and they replaced it. Then, two weeks ago, my MacBook Air died. I took it in and they replaced everything. Last week it failed again because they gave me a defective "Logic Board." WTF. Now I literally have to type 3 essays today because of them.

last weekend after my son broke my 6plus glass they made me wait 4hrs to see me to fix the screen

so they told you to sit 4 hours in the Apple store and wait?

They most certainly didn't have any other cases to handle as important as yours, right?

then when they did see me they told me that they couldn't fix the screen and replaced the phone

oh bohoo ... so you get a mint phone for the one your son broke ... most be fucking terrible.

with out asking me if all my items were saved so naturally i lost all my photos and numbers.

too bad there aren't 5000 ways to save YOUR data. Too bad your son didn't drop it in a toilet ...

BAAAA!   on top of that they were smug and rude

oh you must be a real treat as a customer.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Hint: Rose parade :P 

Hint: Rose parade :P

Aha! City in America I've actually been to.

Being a vindictive bastard is a skill that comes to retail employees far too easily; don't make them use it. 

hehehe, its very true, nothing gave me more pleasure than treating an ass customer..like an ass

I had an Apple "genius" tell me that I should buy a macbook because itunes works better than on windows. When the ipad first came out I had an apple "genius" tell me I couldn't buy it with cash. Luckily a manager came over right away before I had to get too pissy. Overall, they are paid low wages and required to have minimal knowledge on products so it doesn't surprise me. 

I doubt that was a genius, as genius bar guys are not on sales and only deal with help and support. it was most likely some hardcore bullshit sales guy that was either A - ignorant or B - a fanboy or C a used car salesman.. that sold new macs

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

hehehe, its very true, nothing gave me more pleasure than treating an ass customer..like an ass

I doubt that was a genius, as genius bar guys are not on sales and only deal with help and support. it was most likely some hardcore bullshit sales guy that was either A - ignorant or B - a fanboy or C a used car salesman.. that sold new macs

It was a genius, they just weren't that smart, it happens. I shrugged it off. Chances are if you are on a tech forum like this, you won't need much help, if any. Once I get past explaining the issue they usually see I'm not your average idiot and I might actually know what I'm talking about and things move quickly. The only thing I hate is how many people are in the apple store. The place is always crowded. The closest apple store is in a pretty upper class mall (high end clothing and such, they have Porsche super cars in the middle of the mall where you would normally see some ford SUV in an average mall) and that in itself is annoying. You see so many people with more money than common sense, it's mind blowing. I just hate dealing with people so keep that in mind. I haven't actually had a "bad" experience in an apple store. 

I just hate dealing with people 

i see haha fair enough

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you think they could do anything my with power Mac g4 cube and an apple monitor that won't work with it?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."