Just learning programming, any tips?

JonathanH

So for my sophomore year of highschool im taking a java class. It's pretty fun and all, but sometimes the programs that we have to create get a bit challenging (probably not for avid programmers). I learned the basic such as, arrays, for loops, and even some GUI, but I want to get better at it. Is there anything else I can do besides actually practicing programming itself? I'm looking into enrolling into a Java class over the summer too. 

do not take AP programming you dont have time to finish any of the tests

Make a Virus.

-snip-

You can try out the Lynda.com free trial from Linus. Should have a lot of programming stuff there. If you like it a lot, you can go ahead and continue and pay for it after the trial.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

programming is hard, it is like pushing a kart up a hill.. You have to push hard and give it your full attention but when it is at the top of the hill it is fun. You can finally use it and roll down the hill. Once you went down the hill, other hills aren't as challenging anymore. But then you find a bigger hill and have to push your kart to the top of that hill. And it repeats. 

It is hard work but it if fun work. I remember the first time i made a really really easy C# program and i was working on it for 3 hours and the coding was awful but it gives such a rush when it works! 

My tip; keep learning from different sources. Look on the internet! There are a freaking lot of Java videos and articles. Taking lessons in class is one thing but to learn and experiment on your own is something different. The second way is way more fun! :)

Good luck! 

Oh and pick up a Java book, i picked up a PHP & MySQL book a long while ago and it really helped although i had a basic understanding of PHP.

EDIT: changed a word.

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

programming is hard, it is like pushing a kart up a hill.. You have to push hard and give it your full attention but when it is at the top of the hill it is fun. You can finally use it and roll down the hill. Once you went down the hill, other hills aren't as challenging anymore. But then you find a bigger hill and have to push your kart to the top of that hill. And it repeats. 

It is hard work but it if fun work. I remember the first time i made a really really easy C# program and i was working on it for 3 hours and the coding was awful but it gives such a rush when it works! 

My tip; keep learning from different sources. Look on the internet! There are a freaking lot of Java videos and articles. Taking lessons in class is one thing but to learn and experiment on your own is something different. The second way is way more fun! :)

Good luck! 

Oh and pick up a Java book, i picked up a PHP & MySQL book a long while ago and it really helped although i had a basic understanding of PHP.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting one of those books, and just out of curiosity what was your first program?

Is there anything else I can do besides actually practicing programming itself?

Not really. You can watch and read things about Java and programming. Whether you actually understand and remember that stuff without actually coding it yourself is something only you can know. Most people need the practice too.

Good luck! 

Please tell me your PHP/MySQL book didn't tell you to use mysql_ functions. If it did, please: http://webdevrefinery.com/forums/topic/1272-your-mysql-code-sucks/

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Spend time learning good coding style and software design; investing some time in those subjects will make it easier to program because your code will be easier to understand and work with.

Learn how to use a debugger. And I cannot emphasize enough, learn to write testable code and then actually test it. What I mean by testable code is break your program down into small, independant parts; avoid side effects (code that does things that are not immediately obvious from looking at it's interface); and avoid global state (variables that are modifiable from anywhere in your program).

Think about practicing your problem solving skills, e.g. do brain teasers, chess puzzles, or programming puzzles. Programming is really just problem solving, the code is an unforunate necessicity to realize solutions that computers understand.

Please tell me your PHP/MySQL book didn't tell you to use mysql_ functions. If it did, please: http://webdevrefinery.com/forums/topic/1272-your-mysql-code-sucks/

Don't worry, it didn't! ;)

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Don't worry, it didn't! ;)

Good. Good. I'd have to make you burn the heathen book.

It also taught you how to MVC, yes?

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

I had to learn a lot by myself.

You can find a lot of great series on youyube.

Remember to write a lot of comments in your code. You might know what a line of code does now but it can confuse you in a month or more.

That said don`t just watch videos but think of an idea an implement it by writing a program.

I learn the best when I have to find a solution to make my program do something.

gl

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

Make a Virus.

hahahaha... idk if I can do that yet, but maybe
Making a virus is easier than making a game

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Just do projects that you want to do. It will be a very boring process if you are just coding random things that you dont care about. As you need to add more stuff to your projects, you will learn.

do not take AP programming you dont have time to finish any of the tests

Not really

Anyways, I would pick up K&R if I were you, best C book there is and really the only language worth learning.

I'd try and find or think of a project you could work on and devote a lot of your time towards over the summer and ideally into the next school year. You learn the best when you're genuinely interested in something and even more so when you're having fun.

Anyways, I would pick up K&R if I were you, best C book there is and really the only language worth learning.

+1 for K&R

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Making a virus is easier than making a game

that ofcourse depends.

If you use Unity, CE,UDK , please go home.

If you are doing own openGL / DirectX renderers e.t.c.   yup pretty challenging.

The same stands for virus.  If you are doing .bat file that copies it self over network and awaits on IRC channel for your commands which it will execute to shell/console.

Not much.

If you do something really challenging like that one time when  virus has saved itself onto actual BIOS mikrochip (since there was little space for saving data and setting).

That's pretty tough.

Precisely. That article is a great example of the main problem with OO, which is that many people don't fucking understand what it is.

Precisely. That article is a great example of the main problem with OO, which is that many people don't fucking understand what it is.

Yup, as far I'm concerned OOP's main problem is the fact that it is poorly taught so people really don't understand it. That being said, procedural programming is much easy to understand and create, allowing for less "planning" and more coding.

Yup, as far I'm concerned OOP's main problem is the fact that it is poorly taught so people really don't understand it. That being said, procedural programming is much easy to understand and create, allowing for less "planning" and more coding.

I prefer to design before I code. Fewer hiccups and surprises, and plus the result isn't a clusterfuck that way.

I prefer to design before I code. Fewer hiccups and surprises, and plus the result isn't a clusterfuck that way.

I can agree with that do an extent. Thinking about what your about to do before you dive into the code is always a good idea. Usually for me that just means figuring out the most efficient algorithm for a particular task.

I can agree with that do an extent. Thinking about what your about to do before you dive into the code is always a good idea. Usually for me that just means figuring out the most efficient algorithm for a particular task.

That's part of it, sure. But I also like to decide how I will design the structure of the program, how I will test it, and so on. Ideally, the time I spend coding is just typing my ideas into the computer. Of course it never goes that well, but it's the goal.