Fractal Design Define R5 + Corsair H110i GT

blindsighted26

hi has anyone tried fitting the H110i GT to the define R5 in the top as ive got one and am finding that the rad plus fans interferer with the rear 140/120 fan ? Am i just missing something or is this the case with the R5 ?

Thanks for any help 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

hi has anyone tried fitting the H110i GT to the define R5 in the top as ive got one and am finding that the rad plus fans interferer with the rear 140/120 fan ? Am i just missing something or is this the case with the R5 ?

It seems like the R5 just isn't great with top 280 rads. Most with H110's seem to be installing them in the front.

Rear fan clearance - barely any:

1sDWC6H.jpg

"Rawr XD"

@Aniallation thanks you this is just what i was looking for a pic just to set my mind at eas that im not loosing my mine thanks again :)

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like the R5 just isn't great with top 280 rads. Most with H110's seem to be installing them in the front.

Rear fan clearance - barely any:

1sDWC6H.jpg

Hello. Could you still mount a 140x25mm fan at the rear with a setup like the picture above?

If not, can a 120x25mm could fit?

Thanks!

EDIT: And also what if your motherboard got an I/O shield like this image below. Would the radiator not fit? Pictures from someone at Corsair forums.

8OYRwyE.jpg5t1SalV.jpgD7mKTbB.jpg

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Hello. Could you still mount a 140x25mm fan at the rear with a setup like the picture above?

If not, can a 120x25mm could fit?

Thanks!

EDIT: And also what if your motherboard got an I/O shield like this image below. Would the radiator not fit? Pictures from someone at Corsair forums.

I am really not sure because there's just so many different configurations of possible hardware like motherboards and fans.

Long story short, if you must use an AIO rad mounted at the top, save yourself the trouble and go for a dual 120 instead of a dual 140.

"Rawr XD"

@PlayModeOn hi im just about finish my build today so will upload a pic for you to look at but to answer you question about the 120 in the back i had to cut the slots in the back by 5mm to get the 120mm to fit and it is very close . But the I/O shield at the back is not a problem as the rad is offset to the front so it is fine in that respect hope this helps and i will upload a pic of the rad with fans and the 120 back fan for you to look at . And Thanks for the help by the way @Aniallation 

@PlayModeOn hi im just about finish my build today so will upload a pic for you to look at but to answer you question about the 120 in the back i had to cut the slots in the back by 5mm to get the 120mm to fit and it is very close . But the I/O shield at the back is not a problem as the rad is offset to the front so it is fine in that respect hope this helps and i will upload a pic of the rad with fans and the 120 back fan for you to look at . And Thanks for the help by the way @Aniallation

Hello thanks for the reply.

I am not actually worried about the rear I/O shield that has the holes for the connectors, I am worried about the I/O shield "armour" that sits on top of the motherboard.. For example, look at ASRock's new Z170 motherboards....

Z170%20Gaming%20K6_k.jpg

As you can see in the top left corner that the I/O shield is elevated taller than the PS/2 connector horizontally not vertically.

Unfortunately motherboards with these kind of I/O shield is getting more and more popular which is bad news for people who wants a 280 rad in their Define R5 on top :(

Another example is ASUS Z97 TUF, the shield armour is taller than the USB connectors on the left.

post-108821-0-38660600-1432984996.jpg

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

@PlayModeOn Hi this is a pic of the H110i GT with the Asus X99-s mortherboard its my build so if you need more pics please say what ones and ill try get you a good angle . hope this helps

Img 4846

Img 4847

Img 4845

Img 4844

Img 4841

i just have mine mounted on the front...dont want to open up the moduvents as I think it just takes away from the clean look of the case

@PlayModeOn Hi this is a pic of the H110i GT with the Asus X99-s mortherboard its my build so if you need more pics please say what ones and ill try get you a good angle . hope this helps

Excellent! Thanks for the help.

Though I'll probably go with a Fractal S24 watercooler because the H110i GT does not exist anymore because they have been recalled (unless a new 280 comes out before the end of the year) but thank you for the confirmation.

@PlayModeOn I have not heard anything about them being recalled ( H110i GT ) do you know why they have been recalled ?

@PlayModeOn I have not heard anything about them being recalled ( H110i GT ) do you know why they have been recalled ?

Most H110i GT has been recalled because they leak at certain temperature and the pump may produce a grinding noise at times. Many of them were shipped dead on arrival.

Most H110i GT has been recalled because they leak at certain temperature and the pump may produce a grinding noise at times. Many of them were shipped dead on arrival.

H110i GTX is now available. I'd look into that if OP is concerned. Maybe they renamed it to avoid all association with the leakage issues of the GT. 

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

@vembutech yes you can fit it by moving it forward but the tubes on the h110i gt are so long that moving it forward just makes them even longer as the rad is straight on top of the block ,its not a problem just if you have a gpu in the top slot of the motherboard its a little hard to not have the tubes sat on top of the GPU :-) ive manage to fit my one it just fine but thanks for all the help 

sorry got it wrong just looked at my pics and that would have worked even better lol sorry

• 5 months later...

Hello. Sorry this is a late reply but I am getting the H110i GTX (not GT) some time this week and I do want to include the 120mm fan at the rear. I just want to ask what tool did you use to extend the fan hole sliders at the rear for your 120mm fan? Thanks!

My father said just use metal cutter scissors which is simple and inexpensive. What do you think?

R5_REAR.jpg

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Hello. Sorry this is a late reply but I am getting the H110i GTX (not GT) some time this week and I do want to include the 120mm fan at the rear. I just want to ask what tool did you use to extend the fan hole sliders at the rear for your 120mm fan? Thanks!

My father said just use metal cutter scissors which is simple and inexpensive. What do you think?

R5_REAR.jpg

hi i use a dremel to cut :-)