Razer Kraken Pro Vs HyperX Cloud, Which One Should You Get?

DarkBlade2117

In this review, my very first one I will be talking about my experiences with the two headsets. I very much enjoy both headsets and I've been using my HyperX Cloud 1's for 20ish hours straight. Now let's get right into the review.

Comfort - Let's start off with the Kraken Pro, The Krakens to me feel a bit lighter which feels better when I used them for 4+ hours of gaming. The Kraken Pros Ear pads are very nice right out of the box but they feel like they are squeezing your head and they would give me minor headaches the first 2 weeks until they broke in. After that I had no complaints about them comfort wise. Now the HyperX's are a whole new story. They may be heavier but right out of the box I could tell they felt better. The Ear pads felt broken into already and fit nice on my head. The memory foam headrest was very nice ( The Kraken Pros was also nice ) but the HyperX was just like putting a cloud ( Ey ? Ey ? ) on your head. The removable ear pads were very nice but the cotton ( Think they are cotton ) Just weren't my thing. They didn't feel as good as I thought they would and it blocked no sound, almost like putting mesh around your ears. All in all comfort wise.

Kraken 7/10

HyperX 9/10

Sound Quality - The kraken pro right out of the box is nice but they didn't meet my expectations, I had to mess around with Razer Surround so when listening to bass songs I could actually hear the song instead of a nice head massage. The Kraken Pro is very bass heavy for headphones in my opinion and are very nice but I did have to mess around in Surround to get them to meet my style Gaming wise the surround was very nice and that is what gets it the score it gets, games like DayZ it was nice to know where everything was coming from and that feel that you were in-game really did push the Kraken. The HyperX's out of the box exceeded what I thought for $80 headset. A bass boosted song full blast I could hear the song clear enough with that nice bass feel. It could use a little bit of tuning but was insanely nice for out of the box.Now the HyperX Cloud 1's which do NOT have surround are still very nice, and you can hear things like footsteps a bit clearer with the HyperX Clouds. ( Cloud 2's have Surround) All in all for Sound Quality

Kraken 7.5/10

HyperX 8/10

Mic Quality- I can't say to much but from messing around with each for about 3ish hours the Mic on both are fine for your everyday Skype calls or DayZ usage. It is in no way a YouTube quality mic. The ?Clouds have a very nice mic for a headset, It's removes le and comes with a coverup just incase you don't want it and have for say a Snowball. The quality out of the box the HyperX has won it. The kraken seems a little more quite and doesn't seem to pick my voice up as well, I love that it's retractable. All in all for Sound Quality

Kraken 6/10

HyperX 8/10

Looks and Style and Durability - Both mics come in different varieties. The kraken pro comes in ( First is Primary Second is Secondary) Kraken White/Black Black/Green Green/Black, I had the white/black ones. The HyperX Black/Red and I believe it was Black/White (or silver).The Kraken Pros are very nice, everything is covered up one way or another, very bulky feel, but the big feel sometimes made my ears start to sweat and around the rims of the ear pads. The HyperXs are smaller but earlier like I said weigh more. They have more of an open feel and even after 6 hours they just started to feel like they were on my head. But there are these "wire" looking things that when you have on correctly go from the headrest to the earpads on the left and right side. Durability wise both are very durable but the Kraken Pro being made of plastic and HyperX is made of a more metal ish material. The Krakens ear pads fold in so if you drop them less of a chance of breaking. The HyperX been bended ( without to much force) still held just fine and same with the Kraken. The wire on the Kraken pro seems to be made of some cheap rubber material that after a week easily brokeup and had to be black taped. Reason I got the .hyperx is because the Razers cheap wiring with the littlest of force dang near ripped it in half and the right side quit putting sound out. The HyperXs wiring seem to be made of a much more fabric material, much more durable and even after folding it in half nothing seemed to get them to wanna give. All in all

Kraken 7/10

HyperX 8.5/10

Last but not Least Packaging- The Kraken pro at first sight seems to be in a better state. With a plastic I don't know like window thing to show them off. But when opened there was no foam, nothing, it came with a cheap audio splitter cable which may I add didn't even work and I'm not the only one with that problem. With a nice drop the headphones would of easily broke from the cheap box and packaging Razer decided to use with the same things you get in every Razer product some silly stickers ect... Now Kingston has overdone themselves with packaging. The HyperX's packaging is unbelievable. Nothing like I've seen before. You open it up and oh look another box not one of these. This is a very durable box that the cover has a nice paragraph welcoming you to the world of gaming with this headset. The headset sat in atleast 2 inches of foam on every angle except the top which still had a sheet of foam. I could of dropped these off my roof and they still would work. The ?hyperX's came with plenty of wires, a audio combining thing which turned the audio and microphone cable into one to plug into your mobile device. A audio splitter cable, a thing to turn your mic off and on, turn the volume up and down and a button that from all I can tell Kindda Is like a click, which plays and pauses videos on YouTube on your mobile device. Plus a good 10 foot extension cord is crazy. They did not have to do this but they did. A little box at the bottom when pulled out contains all this and the 2 extra cloth ear muffs. Plus a mesh bag to put your headphones in, plus a front slot which can cary every cable, the extra ear pads, and the mic. Oh the mic was also in a very nice spot which was safely secured. I absolutely loved the Unboxing experience of this product and it was unbelievable.

For quality packaging..

Kraken 4/10

HyperX 10/10

Now all in all, Both are very nice headsets and the HyperX Clouds obviously come out on top. Which should you get? The HyperX Cloud's and Kraken Pros both at $80 the HyperX I would of paid $100 for. I got the ?hyperX on sale for $71 on Amazon. I would honestly go with the Cloud 1's, So much quality for the price. I love them so much for the time I've had them and they have out done the Kraken Pros by so much.

Kraken 7.5/10

HyperX 9/10

Have Fun :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just realized how long this was lol..

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

HyperX Cloud

Nah man no way you read This in 2 minutes lol. But yes ?HyperX cloud's :)

But now there's the Cloud 2 O.o

$30 cheaper. Plus I tried them at the store, the surround sucked. The Mic test they had the Cloud 2's hooked up to was all,that great. The HyperX Cloud1s are better in my opinion. Especially since I got them $9 off.

Hyperx cloud or Hyperx Cloud II, those are the only "Gaming Headsets" that I will recommend.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Lol the Cloud absolutely destroyed the kraken, according to you xD (not saying you're wrong, I concur with you).

Lol the Cloud absolutely destroyed the kraken, according to you xD (not saying you're wrong, I concur with you).

For the price they did. Like I said I enjoyed them. If you can price match the Kraken Pros for which you can find them for $45 and you are on a budget Id suggest Kraken Pros but if you've got $100 the Clouds win, everyday.

You did a sound test with music? These are gaming headsets, so you should probably test them on what they're built for.

You did a sound test with music? These are gaming headsets, so you should probably test them on what they're built for.

Yeah, I should include my experience on games. Sorry about that :$

fixed, Wasn't much to say, pretty much, Surround sound feel vs a more clear sound when trying to listen for footsteps or stuff in DayZ

fixed, Wasn't much to say, pretty much, Surround sound feel vs a more clear sound when trying to listen for footsteps or stuff in DayZ

Nice! Have you tried surround on the Cloud II's? I've heard that the artificial surround was amazing on them.

Nice! Have you tried surround on the Cloud II's? I've heard that the artificial surround was amazing on them.

I've heard the exact opposite. I think if you hook up the cloud 1s to Razer surround pro and select the USB MIC you might be able,to get surround on the Cloud 1's, If I find someone with the Cloud 2's I'll make sure to compare them :)

Clouds are still to this day one of my best purchases, they destroy krakens and turtle beaches for the same price.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Nah man no way you read This in 2 minutes lol. But yes ?HyperX cloud's :)

Skimed read it lol but looks good 

iam to lazy to do this

IAN :o

As a previous Kraken owner, even Apple earpods destroy them. The krakens are horrible.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Not at all surprised that the HX Cloud wins, it's a pretty well built headset with very good audio.....good enough to listen to music too. It's a gaming headset but handle audio/music playback with aplomb. Heck, I use it from time to time, it has pretty good noise isolation and I can easily use it for games, movies and music. Nice review/impression btw.... ;)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

As a previous Kraken owner, even Apple earpods destroy them. The krakens are horrible.

Wow, if apple earpods beat any sort of audio equipment, that item has become the lowest of the low...

Wow, if apple earpods beat any sort of audio equipment, that item has become the lowest of the low...

They're not audiophile grade, but take off the anti-Apple helmet for a second and you'll realize that the Earpods are definitely the best earbuds bundled with something like a phone, and actually sound pretty great in general. Bass is strong, and highs are clear. Again, not $200 good, but for $29 they're a great option.

I love my Clouds, and the Krakens just feel and sound inferior in nearly every way. The Clouds are comfy, sound great, and come with a butt-ton of accessories and extras.

Great review!

Very detailed, and informative.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

They're not audiophile grade, but take off the anti-Apple helmet for a second and you'll realize that the Earpods are definitely the best earbuds bundled with something like a phone, and actually sound pretty great in general. Bass is strong, and highs are clear. Again, not $200 good, but for $29 they're a great option.

I'm not anti-apple, for one (my entire family has an I-device of one kind or another), and the earpods aren't too bad.  But there are significantly better in-ears you can get for a third of the price.  The clear benefit I see to the earpods is that a.: they come with inline controls and a mic, and b.: they come with iPhones, so they are common.

I'm not anti-apple, for one (my entire family has an I-device of one kind or another), and the earpods aren't too bad.  But there are significantly better in-ears you can get for a third of the price.  The clear benefit I see to the earpods is that a.: they come with inline controls and a mic, and b.: they come with iPhones, so they are common.

Where are the significantly better in-ears for $10? (Genuinely asking, not being sarcastic).

I found them to have enough bass and clarity that I don't miss my Clouds too much when I'm on the go. They sound pretty damn good, as long as you have a good seal in your ears - the bass reproduction comes from the cutout in the stem, and a bad seal in your ears can offset the pressure and it sounds bad.

Where are the significantly better in-ears for $10? (Genuinely asking, not being sarcastic).

I found them to have enough bass and clarity that I don't miss my Clouds too much when I'm on the go. They sound pretty damn good, as long as you have a good seal in your ears - the bass reproduction comes from the cutout in the stem, and a bad seal in your ears can offset the pressure and it sounds bad.

Here is the link to the (super-duper-ultra-mega-hyper) cheap, but surprisingly good earbuds that I use: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431633539&sr=8-1&keywords=headphones#customerReviews.  I keep 3-4 pairs of these around the house for when I (inevitably) lose them.