Tom Wheeler tells cable industry to stop complaining, start competing

FCC-Tom-Wheeler-BlogArt.jpg

FCC chair: Move on from net neutrality debate, overbuild each other's territory.

Tom Wheeler, putting cable companies in their place once again, this time effectively telling them to STFU and actually get on with the business of doing their business and not crying about how things are now forcing them to do the competition they should've done in the first place. 

Wheeler isn't wrong. Cable companies create local monopolies just to avoid undercutting their prices, no wonder they are all shitting bricks because for the first time in their lives they'll have to directly compete in areas they have stayed away from. 

I say bring it on. This is a win for the consumers in every imaginable way, ISPs need to get with the program already. 

When discussing the shift in business priorities from TV to broadband, Wheeler said cable companies should look toward the future, just as Comcast did when the FCC prevented it from buying Time Warner Cable. "The decision of Comcast and Time Warner Cable to abandon their proposed merger is relevant here," Wheeler said. "Brian Roberts' leadership that it's 'time to move on' was not only a thoughtful response, but also directionally correct. It is time to look forward, not backward."

Part of looking forward, in Wheeler's opinion, is boosting competition. With some exceptions, cable companies have generally not competed against each other, letting a single company dominate each region instead of "overbuilding" in each other's territory.

"You don't have a lot of competition, especially at the higher speeds that are increasingly important to the consumer of online video," Wheeler said. This means there isn't the kind of "intense and constant pressure to continue to improve" as there was in the days when DSL posed a serious threat to cable, he said.

"More competition would be better," Wheeler said. "That is why we granted the preemption petitionsfiled by two communities that wished to expand their gigabit networks into surrounding areas, including where people had no broadband at all. I recognize the challenges of overbuilding, and to encourage it is not to assume its immediate appearance. And while I know it is an anathema to your geographically defined way of looking at the industry, I believe—as some have already demonstrated—that it can also be an opportunity."

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/tom-wheeler-tells-cable-industry-to-stop-complaining-start-competing/

I know it might be possible but I can't read that quote at all, automatic font please? :D

post-1744-0-49669800-1430973608.jpg

---

Good on Wheeler to tell them to stop crying like babies over laws that aren't in their favor, cable companies need to grow up and actually provide the product they say they do, and then do better. 2015 and we still have essentially DSL? The fuck is the point of that?

Yes, someone with some balls, at one time it looked like he was going to be a yes man. I was worried when he first took the job now it seems hes with the people, now we just need the cpa with some stones. Also feel lucky my city started a isp

nice

i still have cable but i really only watch arrow, flash, the big bang theory and last man standing, so only really 2 channels 

but my parrents watch other shows, and we actually had a bundle that had almost all channels and movies but we were able to drop to the lowest tv bundle, and ad a couple of combos to get everything we needed

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

In all reality regardless of what he thinks companies still own a monopoly on certain areas of the country in which the only ISP you can have is TWC or Comcast etc. You have to choose whether to have internet or not. As long as these companies have a political voice and have buying power for votes nothing will be an even playing field. We and smaller companies have every reason to complain Tom.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Get the text color changing scripts, not much I can do short of retyping source text. 

Control + A, fonts -> automatic. Takes like three seconds.

Control + A, fonts -> automatic. Takes like three seconds.

Did it work? 

Did it work? 

That first paragraph did.. the rest is still I think blue.

Sigh. I'll try pasting it as plain text using Chrome, that might do the trick

Sigh. I'll try pasting it as plain text using Chrome, that might do the trick

thanks, us moblie users can't read it either.

I'm surprised he has had such a turnaround. Good for consumers though :)

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Should be fixed now.

There has to be an administrative setting in the control panels to disable source text formatting when copy/pasting globally... It's a huge pain :|

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

There has to be an administrative setting in the control panels to disable source text formatting when copy/pasting globally... It's a huge pain :|

It would also disable copy-pasting boldface, italics, and all kinds of legitimate formatting. We have other plans for dealing with the font/bg colors which will be implemented in the future :)

I thought the case of municipal broadband would be fairly easily resolved since it looked like a shameless anti-competetive law. Unfortunately, Ajit Pai and Michael O'Rielly still find reasons to support such a law. >.> They argue that broadband should only be provided by a free market of private companies, even though this ideal situation has failed to eventuate due to private companies favouring monopoly to free market competition.

I'm surprised he has had such a turnaround. Good for consumers though :)

Why are people surprised at his "turn around"? People since day one have assumed he was a cable company shill simply because of his past.

Wheeler lobbied for cable companies in their infancy, just like he's doing for NN now. He hasn't been invoked in modern cable lobbying for decades, he is as far removed from their influence as you could be.

He was always hesitant to use Title II because he thought congress would own up and do the right thing. They didn't. So he flexed his powers and made it happen.

People really need to read up on who he really is.

I for one would like to offer Tom Wheeler a rolled up newspaper, I will roll it up for him, if he would call a meeting with the owner of Century Link, and just spend that meeting hitting the owner about the face with said rolled up newspaper.

Now if only we could get someone else in the government with enough balls to bring anti-trust litigation against these companies, and break them up before they can pay congress to take away the FCC's power here.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Then go back to day theme for few sec if u are son interested in the topic ;)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

This is pure gold :)

"Cable companies create local monopolies just to avoid undercutting their prices, no wonder they are all shitting bricks because for the first time in their lives they'll have to directly compete in areas they have stayed away from."

Its just like every toxic gamer. Cries and blames everything else but himself :)

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Then go back to day theme for few sec if u are son interested in the topic ;)

Why waste my time switching themes..?

Why waste my time switching themes..?

Ignorant much ?

U are interested in something but u are not willing to do anything for it ?! Wow.

PS. U wasted time replying to me, hope u feel good.

Ignorant much ?

U are interested in something but u are not willing to do anything for it ?! Wow.

PS. U wasted time replying to me, hope u feel good.

Ignorance is your replies. I simply highlighted Vic's quote so I can read it, but it's common place on the forum to make sure that fonts work on both the day theme and night theme.

I'm sorry I can't lower myself to your intelligence level to understand your point of view of why I need to go through several steps to read a news post.