Multicore Enchancement for i7-4771

Go to solution Solved by incarnate,

Thanks guys.

Is this something that I can leave on permanently, like XMP? Due to my work, I tend to leave my computer on pretty much all the time, and restart once a week or so.

absolutely. when your computer isn`t doing anything it will downclock the processor to its idle speed which for haswell is 800 mhz. then when you do something it will always try to run at 3.9 ghz. so feel free to leave it on.

I got a Z87 ASRock MITX fitted with a I7-4771, I saw the option to enable/disable the multi core enhancement option

What exactly does it do, and in relation to my i7-4771 and other K haswell refreshes, what improvements/benefits are there?

Thanks!

Multi-Core Enhancement, I'd guess that it means hyperthreading by that, I'd go for enabling it if that is true as it will give a bit of a performance boost when multitasking.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I got a Z87 ASRock MITX fitted with a I7-4771, I saw the option to enable/disable the multi core enhancement option

What exactly does it do, and in relation to my i7-4771 and other K haswell refreshes, what improvements/benefits are there?

So basically, your CPU has something called Turbo Boost, where it will increase clock speed if only one or two cores are being used. On your i7-4771, the base speed is 3.5GHz, while the boost speed is 3.9GHz.

This means that when all 4 cores are running they'll all be running at 3.5GHz. However when you're only using only one or two cores, those two will run at 3.9GHz, while the other two are still at 3.5.

Multicore Enhancement allows Turbo Boost to apply the boost clock speed to all cores. So as long as you're within temperature limits, all 4 cores can run at up to 3.9GHz, rather then the regular 3.5.

49379.png

(MCE = MultiCore Enhancement)

It does provide a free performance boost in multi-threaded applications, so I'd leave it on.

"Rawr XD"

So basically, your CPU has something called Turbo Boost, where it will increase clock speed if only one or two cores are being used. 

On your i7-4771, this means that when all 4 cores are running they'll all be running at 3.5GHz. However when you're only using only one or two cores, those two will run at 3.9GHz, while the other two are still at 3.5.

Multicore Enhancement allows Turbo Boost to increase clock speed on all cores. So as long as you're within temperature limits, all 4 cores can run at up to 3.9GHz, rather then the regular 3.5.

It does provide a free performance boost in multi-threaded applications, so I'd leave it on.

this except rather it forces the cpu to run at two speeds. idle speed, and full turbo speed when under any load, provided temps are within reason.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Thanks guys.

Is this something that I can leave on permanently, like XMP? Due to my work, I tend to leave my computer on pretty much all the time, and restart once a week or so.

Thanks guys.

absolutely. when your computer isn`t doing anything it will downclock the processor to its idle speed which for haswell is 800 mhz. then when you do something it will always try to run at 3.9 ghz. so feel free to leave it on.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Oh, one more thing. on a separate issue,

The design specs o the CPU says it can go up to 1600mhz, but the RAM say it can go as far as to 2133.

I am not entirely sure how to word this question, but where/how the additional mhz come from? How can that be achieved on a permanent basis?

The design specs o the CPU says it can go up to 1600mhz, but the RAM say it can go as far as to 2133.

I am not entirely sure how to word this question, but where/how the additional mhz come from? How can that be achieved on a permanent basis?

Its xmp settings, the mobo is the one that actually handles the ram speeds. Its over clocking

Off topic: I thought the title to this was multicore enchantment.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

the cpu's ram controller officially supports 1600 mhz ram, but your ram is designed to run at 2133 mhz. xmp (extreme memory profile) can be used to run the ram at the higher speeds. it is technically an overclock.

the ram will always run at the speed it is set to. since you enabled xmp, just select the profile for 2133 mhz with the right timings. the timings are a group of four numbers and will be on a sticker on the ram sticks and will look like this 11-11-12-24 or something like that. this speed only affects the ram itself and really, doesn't affect the performance of the system very much except in certain uses.

My rig: