NZXT Kraken X61 doesnt perform optimally

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,
snip

Perhaps a bad mount job.

Also, you have the H440 problem.  Try removing the top panel and your temps should drop by 10-30C because that case is starved for air.

I have a Kraken X61 with my i7 4790k. When I first installed it, my temps were great. I obviously got rid of the stock thermal compound, and put on some Arctic silver on it.

My temps were fine. I've used my computer for about a year like that, and the temps were very respectable. (80C under load @ 4.6Ghz and 1.35v, Idled at 38C)

A few weeks ago, My Ram died on me, and I had to take the computer apart to diagnose the problem.

Now that I have replaced the RAM and rebuilt my computer, i am experiencing horrible temperatures.

I put it back together exactly as I have before. (applied new thermal paste as well)

With stock voltage and speed, I now idle at 45C. (obviously way too high).

Under load my temps are 80-86C which is shockingly high for a 280mm cooler.

If I try to load my old OC speed and voltage, the temperature hits 95C within 10 seconds under load. ;(

I am clueless to what ruined my cooler. If anybody could help out, that would be great.

Thanks!

Specs:

ASUS Maximus VI extreme

Intel Core i7 4790k

2x Nvidia GTX 780s in SLI

2x Samsung Evo 120GB in RAID 0

WD 3TB Black HDD

32GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz

Corsair Hx1050 PSU

NZXT H440 Case

Windows 8.1 Pro

snip

Perhaps a bad mount job.

Also, you have the H440 problem.  Try removing the top panel and your temps should drop by 10-30C because that case is starved for air.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Perhaps a bad mount job.

The problem was solved by remounting the cooler. I guess I was excited to get my computer running again forgot mount it correctly.

Getting temps in the high 50s under load. Everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks for the help!