SSD not detected in BIOS

Andriko

Earlier today I was logging into my computer when I had a very unusually long log-in time, more than a minute, so I restarted my computer and got the message that the boot device isn't bootable. I went into the bios and the ssd was no longer on the list of storage devices and it was trying to boot off my harddrive instead. Is there a way to troubleshoot or to save the files on the ssd? I have some very very important documents which I do not want to lose, I got the ssd about half a year ago. The SSD I have is a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb and my motherboard is an ASUS Maximus 5 formula. I should note that I recently upgraded my ssd to the latest firmware, about 3 days ago, it is the first time I updated my firmware and I have restarted my computer many times since then.

A rule of thumb is to never upgrade firmware unless said firmware addresses issues you have been having. The the drive in another computer if possible. If not unplug the drive, re-install windows to a dummy drive for now get windows up and running, and after plugging back in the SSD see if you can see it. I know its not detected by the BIOS, so that pretty bad, but we will see. Maybe it will be detected in another computer.

Did you try plugging it into a different SATA header and seeing if it detects it as a device?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer