Best fan loadout for crossfire 290's in the Carbide 540?

Duskie
Go to solution Solved by Redsun20,

The top card is generally around 75 degrees, but the top one gets to around 85 which is a bit high. Can't really expect much else from a 290X though can I?  :P

Just wondering if there was anything else I could do to improve temps.

Well you could do this:

You're going to have negative air pressure with the exhaust fans at the top, I believe. It might be best to switch them to intake, and only exhaust out the back. In my opinion, anyway. :-)

/)

But that won't help the cards much as the air will simply pass over the tops and not do much. Anyway, It's a 290X, so it is going to run hot.

Hey guys, my new R9 290X came today and i'm curious as to how exactly I should set up the fans in the case, I made a terrible potato style diagram to show you my current setup!  :D

As you can see, I have three SP-120 intake fans in the front, two AF-140 exhausts in the top and an AIO in the rear. Is this the best setup I can have to cool these GPU's, or is there a better solution to getting rid of all that heat? 

bZLoVI7.jpg

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

Hey guys, my new R9 290X came today and i'm curious as to how exactly I should set up the fans in the case, I made a terrible potato style diagram to show you my current setup!  :D

As you can see, I have three SP-120 intake fans in the front, two AF-140 exhausts in the top and an AIO in the rear. Is this the best setup I can have to cool these GPU's, or is there a better solution to getting rid of all that heat? 

bZLoVI7.jpg

That's fine, since you generally want the air coming form the bottom front to the top back to cool everything evenly. You should be fine. What are temps like?

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

You're going to have negative air pressure with the exhaust fans at the top, I believe. It might be best to switch them to intake, and only exhaust out the back. In my opinion, anyway. :-)

/)

That's fine, since you generally want the air coming form the bottom front to the top back to cool everything evenly. You should be fine. What are temps like?

The top card is generally around 75 degrees, but the top one gets to around 85 which is a bit high. Can't really expect much else from a 290X though can I?  :P

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

Well you could do this:

/)

But that won't help the cards much as the air will simply pass over the tops and not do much. Anyway, It's a 290X, so it is going to run hot.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Well you could do this:

My thoughts exactly, glad to know i'm doing something right though. Thanks for the help. 

Air is going to be dumped out the front of those cards into your case so switching the front fans to exhaust could help quite a lot, instead of trying to push the hot air back at them

/)

yeah but thats gonna throw a lot of heat at that cpu

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

Hi! I just ordered 2 of thos Asus 290x cu II, And i have the same case as you have, 

Will a 850 TX PSU run this? =P

Hi! I just ordered 2 of thos Asus 290x cu II, And i have the same case as you have, 

Will a 850 TX PSU run this? =P

I believe so, according to my Hx1000i's monitoring software I barely actually go above 550W, so 850 should be fine I think.