How many extra watts are needed for OC'ing the i5 4690k to 4,0Ghz

Just a noob question,

Im building a new rig, and I want to know how many extra watts are needed for some basic overclocking of the i5 4690k (to 4,0ghz)?

My full build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z7jvkL

And also, will I have enough low temps with the hyper 212 evo?

Thx for helping! :)

That psu will be more than enough for the setup you have even with full OC's.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

mine gets to 4.1 w/o any voltage increase, so you should be fine

but i have 700w PSU and 780

but still, i'd be confident enough to put another 780 in my system

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Hello,

i believe a 430-650w PSU is needed for sure and keep your temps low.

For the Hyper 212 Evo im not sure it will keep your Cpu on a low temps, i recomended a NOCTUA NH-U9B SE2 or Cooler Master Seidon 120V and ofc is my opinion.

I hope you unserstand what im saying, my english are bad.

I hope that helped you.   :)

Thank you all for replyes,

Hello,

For the Hyper 212 Evo im not sure it will keep your Cpu on a low temps, i recomended a NOCTUA NH-U9B SE2 or Cooler Master Seidon 120V and ofc is my opinion.

I think I will go with hyper 212 evo, because noctua and that cm coller are too expensive, btw your english is great!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So 650w its more than enough right?

Google "PSU calculator" and click one of the first results. It'll allow you to list all your hardware & overclocks and will then give you an indication of how much power the system will draw.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

My 4690K goes to 4.2GHz at 1.06V and 4.6GHz at 1.2V. So it all depends on the chip.

For 4.0GHz, my bets are, you can get there on stock cooling, without voltage increase.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

You can't really answer that question due to the voltage variable. Even if the chip was pulling 10A regardless, you still have to factor in voltage.

In case you're wondering, the formula for finding out wattage is: V*A=W where V is voltage, A is ampere(or just amp) and W is wattage.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thank you all for replyes,

I think I will go with hyper 212 evo, because noctua and that cm coller are too expensive, btw your english is great!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So 650w its more than enough right?

Hello again,

Yes the 650W is more than enough i think, you should go around 430-550w and for the money you want to spend on a aftermarket Cpu cooler, go with hyper 212 or check this coolers and let me know what is your opinion.

RAIJINTEK THEMIS,RAIJINTEK EREBOSS,RAIJINTEK EREBOSS BLACK HEATPIPE CPU-COOLER PWM 140MM and RAIJINTEK EREBOSS CORE CPU-COOLER 140MM

I dont know if they are cheaper on your country or highier so let me know.

I hope i still giving you some usefull advices.  :) 

Hello again,

Yes the 650W is more than enough i think, you should go around 430-550w and for the money you want to spend on a aftermarket Cpu cooler, go with hyper 212 or check this coolers and let me know what is your opinion.

RAIJINTEK THEMIS,RAIJINTEK EREBOSS,RAIJINTEK EREBOSS BLACK HEATPIPE CPU-COOLER PWM 140MM and RAIJINTEK EREBOSS CORE CPU-COOLER 140MM

I dont know if they are cheaper on your country or highier so let me know.

I hope i still giving you some usefull advices.  :) 

Thx for the advices, but I also found this cooler (CoolerMaster Seidon 120V) that is only 8€ more expensive that the hyper 212 evo, but I think its not worth spending more and going with a watercooling solution, if I wont be overclocking more that 4.0Ghz:

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/CoolerMaster-Seidon-120V-775-1156-1366-AM2-AM3-FM1-2011_982823.html

Is that cooler (CoolerMaster Seidon 120V) much better than hyper 212 evo?

Oh, and the coolers you suggested are about 5-10€ more expensive than hyper 212 evo (that is 30€).

Thx for the advices, but I also found this cooler (CoolerMaster Seidon 120V) that is only 8€ more expensive that the hyper 212 evo, but I think its not worth spending more and going with a watercooling solution, if I wont be overclocking more that 4.0Ghz:

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/CoolerMaster-Seidon-120V-775-1156-1366-AM2-AM3-FM1-2011_982823.html

Is that cooler (CoolerMaster Seidon 120V) much better than hyper 212 evo?

Oh, and the coolers you suggested are about 5-10€ more expensive than hyper 212 evo (that is 30€).

No its not, i have read bad reviews for seidon 120v, so its still your best option the hyper 212 evo.

Hello,

It will be fine. A 4690k stays pretty cool and 4 gHz is a very small overclock so any cooler rated for a tdp of at least 100 W should be fine

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

No its not, i have read bad reviews for seidon 120v, so its still your best option the hyper 212 evo.

agreed, i have a 4690k hyper 212 evo, 4.3 @ 1.128v boinc, load at 100% all 4 core, on for 16 hours now, temps at 60c highest core 57c lowest. System temp 36c.

I believe this is for the 4770k/4790k, but wattage should be similar on average, although not all chips have the same leakage so ymmv.

c1411aab_yxx.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So thank you all for replyes, I will definitly go with hyper 212 evo, and thx for helping. ;)

You can't really answer that question due to the voltage variable. Even if the chip was pulling 10A regardless, you still have to factor in voltage.

In case you're wondering, the formula for finding out wattage is: V*A=W where V is voltage, A is ampere(or just amp) and W is wattage.

That's correct, however the proper terminology is voltage x current= power v*i=p