AMD FX - Gtx 780 Sli

alleyn321
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

64-man multiplayer is quite CPU intensive. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the FX-8350 bottlenecks dual 780s quite heavily.

If the PSU is overloaded the computer will shut down. The components don't "cap out" their power draw when the PSU is near max. A PSU can't prevent a rig from reaching full performance, it will only work or not work.

Hi LinusTechTips people!

So yesterday I got my Second Gtx 780 and so now im running 2x 780 in SLI ( after few problems installing it )

There must be some weird problem going on because ...

First I tried playing Bf4 on Empty server with 80-150Fps

Then I tried playing BF4 on Full 64 player server and Im only getting 60-80fps ( 100-110 sometimes ) ... With my Single OC 780 I was getting just a bit better FPS

I dont really believe the CPU is not able to push 2x Gtx 780s ( maybe not at 100% performance ) 

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/56/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-4k/index.html

So might this b my PSU? its only 750W and by doing calculations thanks to eXtreme power supply calculator i need atleast 733W PSU ... So what Im thinking is my PSU is holding the GPUs and CPU from "powering up" ? Also the PSU gets noisy after 10-15min of playing

Any ideas?

I believe the bottleneck here is the CPU.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Update: CPU AMD FX 8320 4,5Ghz

PSU Corsair CX 750w

64-man multiplayer is quite CPU intensive. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the FX-8350 bottlenecks dual 780s quite heavily.

If the PSU is overloaded the computer will shut down. The components don't "cap out" their power draw when the PSU is near max. A PSU can't prevent a rig from reaching full performance, it will only work or not work.

CPU bottleneck.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Hm

I love my AMD FX CPU ...  Why you do this do me? :angry: 

But looks like I will have to get rid of it and that is going to take few weeks till I can save for new Mobo and i7 47**K :unsure:

Hm

I love my AMD FX CPU ...  Why you do this do me? :angry:

But looks like I will have to get rid of it and that is going to take few weeks till I can save for new Mobo and i7 47**K :unsure:

Why not just and i5?

Why not just and i5?

I feel like i5 will power up my SLI but other than that not much ... 

Also when Upgrading I like to Spend some money and then leave it for some time instead of keep on upgrading

But ... What i5 would you recommend ?

I feel like i5 will power up my SLI but other than that not much ... 

Also when Upgrading I like to Spend some money and then leave it for some time instead of keep on upgrading

But ... What i5 would you recommend ?

There's very little difference between an i5 and i7 in gaming. Just go with the i5-4690K, save a bit of money.

I did have an FX8350 pushing SLI 780's, can confirm that the CPU was bottlenecking the cards, They perform roughly 20% better with my new CPU

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

There's very little difference between an i5 and i7 in gaming. Just go with the i5-4690K, save a bit of money.

Hm ... Truth is I only game and hardly do anything else ( except daily web browsing etc )

But as im looking at the i5-4690K is 190£ and AMD FX 8350 140£ ( I actually have 8320 but OC to 4,5Ghz ) 

Only 40£ + / - Difference  ... Will it make such a difference?

Update: The i5 is not even Hyper-threaded but I like that I could save 90-120£ +/- 

Hm ... Truth is I only game and hardly do anything else ( except daily web browsing etc )

But as im looking at the i5-4690K is 190£ and AMD FX 8350 140£ ( I actually have 8320 but OC to 4,5Ghz ) 

Only 40£ + / - Difference  ... Will it make such a difference?

Update: The i5 is not even Hyper-threaded 

I'll put it this way, I have 2x GTX 780 Ti's in SLI. I also have both an i5-2500K and i7-2600K and don't see any real benefit from hyperthreading, because I am still GPU-bound in BF4 even at 1080p. Both GPUs stay pegged at 100% load.

I'll put it this way, I have 2x GTX 780 Ti's in SLI. I also have both an i5-2500K and i7-2600K and don't see any real benefit from hyperthreading, because I am still GPU-bound in BF4 even at 1080p. Both GPUs stay pegged at 100% load.

Hm ...

Checking CPU Comparison it says that i5 4690K is Slightly better than i7-2600K and you dont have any problems with SLI 780 with the i7.

Looks like we found my Future CPU :D ( but still have to Consider ... ) 

Thanks