Can someone explain custom water cooling to me?

Alright so I have a Corsair H80i and know that the water just dissipates the heat away. I know the components of water coiling are the RAD, water block, RES, and some other stuff I don't know. But what do all the components do and how does water cooling work? I might want to spend the money I get during the summer on doing custom water cooling. Is it hard to do?

The RAD is where the heat is expelled from the system to the air.

The waterblock is where the heat exchange happens from a chip to the water

The RES is what holds excess water

The Fittings connect the Tubing to the other parts

The pump makes water flow around

Yes it is hard to assemble

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Alright so I have a Corsair H80i and know that the water just dissipates the heat away. I know the components of water coiling are the RAD, water block, RES, and some other stuff I don't know. But what do all the components do and how does water cooling work? I might want to spend the money I get during the summer on doing custom water cooling. Is it hard to do?

ever heard of a car? same concept  for cooling engine

@CoolaxGaming above me did a great job explaining

water is simply what caries the heat away from the cpu. The radiator then dissipates the heat into the atmosphere.

here is a good video explaining it. ts for a car but it is the same concept,

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Air cooling is limited in practice by the size of the heatsink, because you're surrounded by the opposite side of the case, the graphics card, the top of the case, etc. Water cooling is just moving the heatsink (radiator) to a more convenient location and using water to ferry the heat between the CPU and the heatsink instead of mounting the heatsink directly on the chip. Otherwise, they operate in the exact same way. The water isn't where your cooling power is coming from, as it doesn't just absorb an infinite amount of heat and poof it into nowhere. It just transports the heat to the radiator where it's dissipated in the same manner as any other heatsink. The more heatsink fin surface area and the more fan power you have, the better your cooling performance.

How old r u. Like 6?

?

How is that relevant...

And Welcome to the forum!

Please read the coc before posting!

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

?

How is that relevant...

And Welcome to the forum!

Please read the coc before posting!

idk he looks young in his picture. just wonderin

idk he looks young in his picture. just wonderin

Not to be bash, but does that mean I'm a Mudkip?

Your picture doesn't have to be you, it doesn't have to be current, and it certainly doesn't have to be questioned. Please, for the love of Gaben, read the CoC before posting again. And, try to keep topics on track.

OP, before you build your loop, I'd recommend getting parts and planning recommendations from this sub-forum (Watercooling). I've been researching for almost 2 months now, and I'm still not completely comfortable executing a custom loop. This sub-forum has been quite helpful in the past though, and I know people are eager to help :)

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

The RAD is where the heat is expelled from the system to the air.

The waterblock is where the heat exchange happens from a chip to the water

The RES is what holds excess water

The Fittings connect the Tubing to the other parts

The pump makes water flow around

Yes it is hard to assemble

Thanks for the great explanation!

water is simply what caries the heat away from the cpu. The radiator then dissipates the heat into the atmosphere.

here is a good video explaining it. ts for a car but it is the same concept,

Wow great video!

Not to be bash, but does that mean I'm a Mudkip?

Your picture doesn't have to be you, it doesn't have to be current, and it certainly doesn't have to be questioned. Please, for the love of Gaben, read the CoC before posting again. And, try to keep topics on track.

OP, before you build your loop, I'd recommend getting parts and planning recommendations from this sub-forum (Watercooling). I've been researching for almost 2 months now, and I'm still not completely comfortable executing a custom loop. This sub-forum has been quite helpful in the past though, and I know people are eager to help :)

IDK u look like a dancing blue monkey with a top hat. Maybe thats u in real life. idk. 

And it would kinda be weird to have a picture of a 8 year old kid in ur avatar if its not u. And idk what a graben is 

Sorry i will read coc whatever it is. sorry for being curios. 

Air cooling is limited in practice by the size of the heatsink, because you're surrounded by the opposite side of the case, the graphics card, the top of the case, etc. Water cooling is just moving the heatsink (radiator) to a more convenient location and using water to ferry the heat between the CPU and the heatsink instead of mounting the heatsink directly on the chip. Otherwise, they operate in the exact same way. The water isn't where your cooling power is coming from, as it doesn't just absorb an infinite amount of heat and poof it into nowhere. It just transports the heat to the radiator where it's dissipated in the same manner as any other heatsink. The more heatsink fin surface area and the more fan power you have, the better your cooling performance.

Gotcha. I also heard that the more dense the fins are the better cooling.

ok thanks for the advice! It took me months on planning the parts for my PC so I could imagine how long it would take planing on what water cooling parts to get.

My first PC build I also ran a custom loop. It was very simple. All I can say is watch youtube videos. There are plenty to watch. Its easier than it looks. Only thing is making sure you have enough room in the case and plan the layout. Also remember that the length of the rad is more important than the thickness.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930