Corsair H100i & i7-3770K STOCK Really High Temps

I'm running an i7-3770K at STOCK speed cooled by a Corsair H100i with SP120 Quiet Edition fans in push. All this is inside a Fractal Design Define R4. At idle, the CPU was doing 40C and when gaming it was going past 80C. These temps are safe (just) but I'm not confortable with them. So I checked the backplate (common mistake for H100i system builders to get the backplate orientation wrong) and it's fine, checked the thermal paste, thats fine also, I then replaced the thermal paste - temperatures got worse. As I write this the CPU is at 45C and when I tested a gaming load it hit 100C, really bad temperatures for a STOCK CPU with an AIO liquid cooler. I'm using Arctic MX4 and using the small blob method to apply the paste which when I did a test application was getting a decent spread. My GPU is a REFRENCE GTX780Ti so it's not like the GPU is blowing hot air into the rest of the case. I'm completely out of ideas so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Did you plug the pump into the CPU fan header? (You should have if you didn't, and try increasing the pump speed to see if that helps.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Is the pump on m8?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

if your temps got worse by swapping thermal paste, you're doing it wrong.

from experience the pea method is a rather difficult method to get the right amount.

personally, i had great success with the X method, it lowered my load temps by 20% after having the pea method first.

There is a fault with some h100i where the cpu block doesnt always make contact with the processor, to fix this i put some plastic washers on the back so it ensures the pressure is made. 

http://puu.sh/9iM6e.jpg

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Did you plug the pump into the CPU fan header? (You should have if you didn't, and try increasing the pump speed to see if that helps.)

Is the pump on m8?

Yeah the pump is on the CPU header on my board and the two fans go to the pump which also has a SATA power to it aswell

Yeah the pump is on the CPU header on my board and the two fans go to the pump which also has a SATA power to it aswell

Is the pump actually making noise? i.e, is the thing actually working?

if your temps got worse by swapping thermal paste, you're doing it wrong.

from experience the pea method is a rather difficult method to get the right amount.

personally, i had great success with the X method, it lowered my load temps by 20% after having the pea method first.

You must have been heavy handed with thermal paste mate. 20% drop in load temps by re-application is a bit much :l

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

There is a fault with some h100i where the cpu block doesnt always make contact with the processor, to fix this i put some plastic washers on the back so it ensures the pressure is made. 

http://puu.sh/9iM6e.jpg

Okay, So that will bring it closer to the CPU? Looks to me like it would bring it further away but it's hard to visualise. Will any wahsers do or must they be thin or?

Yeah I can hear the pump and the tubing feels cooler near the rad than near the pump so there must be atleast some heat disipation

EDIT: it is dificult to tell exactly though with a noisy refrence cooler :)

Okay, So that will bring it closer to the CPU? Looks to me like it would bring it further away but it's hard to visualise. Will any wahsers do or must they be thin or?

do you have any give on the cpu block, these washers are there as the screws on the stand offs are too long, this way the standoff is pulled against the mobo vs sitting above it. 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

You must have been heavy handed with thermal paste mate. 20% drop in load temps by re-application is a bit much :l

i guess i was a bit greedy on thermal paste the first time (an easy thing to do with the pea method)

the second time i also was more careful to screw my ungodly annoying cooler on perfectly straight. not sure if i had it on an angle the first time, but it seems to be better.

do you have any give on the cpu block, these washers are there as the screws on the stand offs are too long, this way the standoff is pulled against the mobo vs sitting above it. 

Yeah but it just feels like the motherboard flexing TBH. Thanks for explaining the washers system.

Yeah but it just feels like the motherboard flexing TBH. Thanks for explaining the washers system.

hmmm im not sure then id try washers

Not sure what difference this makes but glancing at Hardware Monitor cores 1&2 are the same temp whilst core 3 is 2C warmer and core 4 is 4C cooler. It has always been like this so maybe it is the mounting??

hmmm im not sure then id try washers

Your profile says you got the Extreme4, if have that board so if the washers worked for you it might just work for me, hopefully..

Your profile says you got the Extreme4, if have that board so if the washers worked for you it might just work for me, hopefully..

Hmm thinking about it, i changed from Pro4 ( that picture) to extreme4..... cant remember if i put them back in. Cant check right now as the way my pc is place is i have to remove some cables to be able to pull it out sorry. Also im gonna have to call it a night GL man 

Hmm thinking about it, i changed from Pro4 ( that picture) to extreme4..... cant remember if i put them back in. 

The PCB is pretty much the same though, actually socket area looks completely different after a Google search, I'm out of ideas :D

Anyways thanks for the help I am gonna have to leave it until tomorow hopefully it works.

So I've done the washers mod and it has improved the contact, I've also re-done the thermal paste for an even spread and STILL as I write this it's running at 45C. Any more suggestions?