Home Server

I need some kind of server at home. But i have no idea how powerful it has to be since i have never played with them before. At the moment i am using my normal computer to stream to my Raspberry Pi Plex client on my TV. This will be the main use of the server. It will be streaming high bitrate material, 1080p with DD 5.1 sound mostly. I am using direct play for most of my content but it has to be ready to transcode if necessary. On top of this i wanna use it as a cloud server, backup for my files and maybe a few uses i have not thought of yet. My main problem is MB and processor. Also the Q about ECC. I guess ECC comes down to what OS I use. Been thinking about using Freenas because Win Server is too expensive. Got any ideas or tips? Below are some ideas I have.

Supermicro X10SAE

Xeon E3-1231v3

Supermicro SC733T-500B 500W

I need some kind of server at home. But i have no idea how powerful it has to be since i have never played with them before. At the moment i am using my normal computer to stream to my Raspberry Pi Plex client on my TV. This will be the main use of the server. It will be streaming high bitrate material, 1080p with DD 5.1 sound mostly. I am using direct play for most of my content but it has to be ready to transcode if necessary. On top of this i wanna use it as a cloud server, backup for my files and maybe a few uses i have not thought of yet. My main problem is MB and processor. Also the Q about ECC. I guess ECC comes down to what OS I use. Been thinking about using Freenas because Win Server is too expensive. Got any ideas or tips? Below are some ideas I have.

Supermicro X10SAE

Xeon E3-1231v3

Supermicro SC733T-500B 500W

Hi.

Forget about ECC unless u're doing a large commercial project.

I'd suggest u Asus sabertooth mark 2 as a server mobo, it's very stable and durable (using it by myself). Still, u can get a gryphon, since it's a microAtx mobo.

Xeon should be fine, but unlocked i7 would be better in terms of clocks.

Next, for ur purpose freenas is not good, you can setup any linux system and use webmin (it's free) as web panel, if u don't like to stay on ssh.

Win server platform is for amateurs :D linux system will give u a huge flexibility.

Webmin will satisfy almost all of ur needs, but it should need a samba server (u can find it at any linux repo) to use this server as a cloud.