MSI Outs Eight New Motherboards With AMD 'Godavari' Support

Opcode

Source

Today, MSI announced the release of several new motherboards for AMD FM2+ chipsets, featuring compatibility for AMD's upcoming Godavari processors.

Team Red has been quietly preparing for the launch of its Godavari APUs, the FM2+ socket processor replacement for its current Kaveri core AMD APUs. Not much is known about the new Godavari processors aside from rumored specs and performance gains, but with MSI's release of eight new motherboards supporting the anticipated AMD chip, one has to presume that its arrival is imminent.

newmsigodavari_w_600.jpg

The new MSI motherboards are available in ATX, micro-ATX, and mini-ITX form factors and are compatible with all previous generation FM2 AMD processors. The budget-oriented A68HM-E33 V2A78M-E35 V2, and A78M-E45 V2 have limited I/O and expansion options, and while the A88XM-E35 V2A88XM-E45 V2, and A88XM-P33 V2 motherboards use the more powerful A88X chipset, they are also designed with few expansion options. All of these boards are micro-ATX offerings, with only the E45 boards featuring four DIMM memory slots; the rest only have two.

For gamers craving more utility, the ATX-sized A88X-G41 PC Mate V2 offers more PCI slots and AMD Crossfire support, but surprisingly only two DIMM slots. The mini-ITX A88XI AC V2 features onboard Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0 in a small form factor.

It's nice to see new boards even though all of them are new revisions. It beats buying a board that needs a bios update prior to being able to run the new APUs.

Hmm... Still no M.2 Support?

Why is AsRock the only one to support M.2 on AMD chipsets and ITX boards? I recently build a very small and dense packed mITX box and had to resolve to an AsRock X97 mITX/AC, because there was no space for an SSD. It's not like I don't like AsRock, but I would like to have some choices.

Why is AsRock the only one to support M.2 on AMD chipsets and ITX boards? I recently build a very small and dense packed mITX box and had to resolve to an AsRock X97 mITX/AC, because there was no space for an SSD. It's not like I don't like AsRock, but I would like to have some choices.

You could have done worse, Asrock are starting to get quite the name for good quality.  Anecdotal I know but I have used two now and both have been exceptional.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think it is because Asrock still does not have the trust of the customers they would like so they are trying to get as many customers as possible by offering the best features for the price while they cut on their margins more than other brands. Thats just the way I see it dont take it as a fact please :)

Anyway, I like what Asrock is doing. I think they are on a really good way to become very good MoBo manufacturer. They have some boards that are really interesting and exceptional regarding features.

I think it is because Asrock still does not have the trust of the customers they would like so they are trying to get as many customers as possible by offering the best features for the price while they cut on their margins more than other brands. Thats just the way I see it dont take it as a fact please :)

Anyway, I like what Asrock is doing. I think they are on a really good way to become very good MoBo manufacturer. They have some boards that are really interesting and exceptional regarding features.

They make the best mobos for their price IMO (not like they're skimping away on features or anything). Asus makes the best mobos quality-wise, but they come with a higher price.

Really enjoying my Asrock Z87 Extreme4.Great mobo.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They make the best mobos for their price IMO (not like they're skimping away on features or anything). Asus makes the best mobos quality-wise, but they come with a higher price.

I can't speak of their quality because I had only one Asrock MoBo for a little while and that was AM2+ socket.

Only 2 dimm slot on all boards. What?

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

I used to have an AsRock board back in the S939 days. They had these unique boards with a special expansion slot that you could plug an adapter board in. It would make your S939 (or S754) DDR1 board into an AM2 board with DDR2 support.

Very frickin' clever, if a little unorthodox.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Tell me. The "bugdet" AsRock H97M I installed recently (not my PC) had "true PWM" fan-headers (the non-cpu ones) - my "over the top" Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 has only "fake" 4-Pins...

problem is, who's going to buy it

AMD been releasing too much variant (or revision) for these past few years for their APU lineup

FM1 was disaster for them, and FM2 lifespan is not even that long.

It says the E45 has 4 dimm slots. Maybe 2 dimm slots is now associated with budget boards?

30ml8uo.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

problem is, who's going to buy it

AMD been releasing too much variant (or revision) for these past few years for their APU lineup

FM1 was disaster for them, and FM2 lifespan is not even that long.

It depends on what's changed with Godavari. AMD has been doing testing with HBM on Godavari during very early stages so we have no clue what to expect although most are expecting just a straight Kaveri refresh with higher reference clocks. That's what I would expect and that way no one's disappointed in the end. As refreshes are typical and common among all SoC manufactures.

There's nothing wrong with Asrock though, they're solid and among the cheapest of the known brands.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It is an interesting choice indeed. Here's what I'm thinking: this APUs will need high speed memory, perhaps they either know or want to encourage users to buy high speed DDR3 instead of a larger amount of slower DDR3.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I like the newer revision which I'm using, the Z97 Extreme4, offers M.2, SATA Express, Intel LAN and a pleasing colour scheme and a brilliant board for overclocking, voltage wise, either that or I got a fairly good i5 chip, managed to get 4.5GHz on 1.2V with air.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I like the newer revision which I'm using, the Z97 Extreme4, offers M.2, SATA Express, Intel LAN and a pleasing colour scheme and a brilliant board for overclocking, voltage wise, either that or I got a fairly good i5 chip, managed to get 4.5GHz on 1.2V with air.

I have a 4670k.

When I bought my stuff the Z97 chipset wasn't released yet.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.