Using Old GPU for Physx

So I'm preparing to upgrade to a 980 or 980 ti for the release of Witcher 3 played on a 1440p monitor (buttery smooth frames here I come!).  I have my old GTX 580 hanging around and it has served me very well these past 3 years.  I don't want to just chuck the card out, could i conceivably use the 580 for a physx card with the 980/980ti without bottle necking the 980? My instinct tell me yes but i'm unsure.  My PSU can handle the wattage as it is rated for 1000W (ahhhh, the SLI that never happened, damn college does that to you, but i've saved up). The 580 may be power-hungry overkill for physx but I already own the card and I kinda want to render Witcher 3 in all of its glory on the ultra settings with all the hair and environment physics turned on.  

The 980 is more than enough to handle physx by itself. The 580 would likely only bog it down.

Edit: This is still true.

980ti @Unlikelyjoker

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Dedicated PhysX card for such high-end GPUs is totally unnecessary :)

I should probably just test it since I will be buying the 980 anyways but i wanted to prepare my expectations.  The 580 though is equivalent to a GTX 750 in terms of sheer computing power in benchmarks (not graphics performance just sheer computing power). I was just curious since hearing the steep requirements on Witcher 3 on ultra settings would even make the 980 cry (Says CD Project Red) and have the frames drop to 30 fps in most combat scenarios.  This is pretty much purely for Witcher 3 btw I know the 980 will crush everything else. 

EDIT: Witcher 3 apparently has not yet been shown to its full potential and all current benchmarks are done with a 980 on High not ultra and 30-60 fps is what you get and that concerns me xD.  Also Witcher 3 uses a lot of physx effects, like hair, particles, flames, smoke, water and leaves so tons of bells and whistles.  In addition I know that the 980 is overpriced but this whole decision was pretty much made on the basis of getting witcher 3 to max out for as little cost as possible. 

PhysX cards are not necessary today. They'll do nothing but add heat to your system.

I wouldn't bank on a 980ti releasing either. If you're gonna wait that long you may as well wait for the Nvidia refresh that's due for Maxwell in Q3/Q4.

The issue with physx on the 580, if anything it will add more heat to the rig and cause you to get less OC out of the 980. The physx calculations are not hard for a GPU to do, with a top line card, using anything for physx is pointless. Just use a crapload of watts and pump out heat for nothing. I didn't even see a difference when I tried a gtx 275 as a physx card for my gtx 470. Pretty much didn't matter.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

The 980 is more than enough to handle physx by itself. The 580 would likely only bog it down.

Edit: This is still true.

Damn thats a thick 580

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life