New build/parts help

Hi all!

(My first post on here) I am looking into assembling my own PC for moderate gaming (League of Legends, C&C games, those things), and from my own research, I have come up with these parts. Some things I may buy if I have more money at the time (such as a dedicated GPU and SSD. I don't really have a need for a GPU with the games I have in mind though), but I may get them down the road if necessary or if wanted. 

Parts

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7 GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU: Corsair CS650M CS Series 650 Watt Semi Modular ATX Power Supply

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST3100005N1A1AS

RAM:Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 730T Full-Tower ATX Case

Any info on whether or not these parts work together or are not a very good fit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all!

(My first post on here) I am looking into assembling my own PC for moderate gaming (League of Legends, C&C games, those things), and from my own research, I have come up with these parts. Some things I may buy if I have more money at the time (such as a dedicated GPU and SSD. I don't really have a need for a GPU with the games I have in mind though), but I may get them down the road if necessary or if wanted. 

Parts

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7 GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU: Corsair CS650M CS Series 650 Watt Semi Modular ATX Power Supply

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST3100005N1A1AS

RAM:Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 730T Full-Tower ATX Case

Any info on whether or not these parts work together or are not a very good fit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That seems to be all you'll need. If you are going to get a GPU in the future you will need a better CPU though. Just keep that in mind....

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

You don't need a Z97 motherboard though. :P

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Maybe consider an APU and FM2+ motherboard? If you're not planning on getting a GPU, you might want an a10 7800/7850k or the new Godavari lineup for their better graphics capabilities compared to Iris graphics. They will be just as good as the i3 for League.

If you wanna stick with the i3, drop that z97, totally overkill :P

junker build in the making

You don't need a Z97 motherboard though. :P

What motherboard would you recommend? I'm not too tech savvy in this area, so I don't really have much ability at making sure the parts are best for the money. Also an i5 CPU is one of my possible options if money permits

What motherboard would you recommend? I'm not too tech savvy in this area, so I don't really have much ability at making sure the parts are best for the money. Also an i5 CPU is one of my possible options if money permits

Honestly, an i5 will only be necessary if you want a GPU and you want to play some more hardcore games.

You're better off going with a good quality, good looking motherboard than have a chipset you don't need.

Not too sure about a good motherboard for you though. Just use PCPartPicker, find a board that you like and I'll tell you what I think of it :) 

A cheaper motherboard can result in you getting a GPU or something.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Honestly, an i5 will only be necessary if you want a GPU and you want to play some more hardcore games.

You're better off going with a good quality, good looking motherboard than have a chipset you don't need.

Not too sure about a good motherboard for you though. Just use PCPartPicker, find a board that you like and I'll tell you what I think of it :)

A cheaper motherboard can result in you getting a GPU or something.

So is it not possible to run a GPU off of an i3 processor? I added one down below from making my build on PCPartsPicker (I also kept the same motherboard as it is highly rated from what I've found, and I am going for including a GPU as part of the build now so I want to make sure the MB is high quality):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FZ9crH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FZ9crH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($99.99) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5"; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  ($153.59) 
Case: Corsair 730T Black ATX Full Tower Case  ($53.99) 
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.99) 
Total: $655.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 15:41 EDT-0400

The prices on this do not include tax, as a lot of the prices I had to enter manually due to PCPartsPicker not matching up with the prices I have found on Microcenter's website (which is where I plan on buying the parts as I am close by one of their stores)

So is it not possible to run a GPU off of an i3 processor? 

Of course it is possible :)

Don't buy a product over another one just because of ratings. The fact that your motherboard is Z97 makes it much more expensive than say a H87 or Z87 board.

Unless you want to overclock that i3 do not spend unnecessary cash on a chipset you won't even utilize....

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build: