NCIX: http://bit.ly/1Pkeqlx

Amazon: http://geni.us/39uW

While preparing for the move to our new office we realized that our current storage solutions just wouldn't cut it... so we created something that will - the 100TB Storinator mass storage server!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfpzmAGjYqg&feature=youtu.be

Meanwhile, I just bought a new 500gb hard drive....

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

WOW!!! Give me a few years and I may need that. 

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I hope seagate knows that there is a really high chance that 20% of those drives will die within the first year. The other 80% should last a really long time though.

Edit: They are enterprise drives and I am dumb.

Why is @LinusTech wearing a steel again 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Wow, awesome. When will Linus expand his network to one PB of storage??

Not sure if video audio is off, or just my third damn mobo is fked...

I think there is actually a combination lol, at the end of the video the audio and video are out of sync. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Not sure if video audio is off, or just my third damn mobo is fked...

I think there is actually a combination lol, at the end of the video the audio and video are out of sync. 

The majority of the video is fine for me, you're right about the end though :S Unfortunate...

so many takes in this video?, I don't understand why you's didnt get smaller drive's as you had room in it to run more

Its all about those volumetric clouds

sooooo much space!

Anyone else notice that they finally cranked up the saturation levels on the video? For a while the videos had been looking a tad washed out.

All those un-sleeved power cables in there.  I understand that as a server device it is not going to be on display and to cut costs when being built the company that built it wouldn't do that, BUT this is a LMG system!  We have certain expectations!  :D

Where's the bling???

:P

Noice. I have 1000 tho. GB :/

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

But will it run Minecraft? ;)

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Linus

You made mistake in your array building.

You made a 9 drive RaidZ2. But with RaidZ2 you need 6 10 14 drives for the best performance. So Multiplies of 4 drives + 2. Then you also can enable 4k sectors and that will perform better. Best Solution add 3 more drives and make 3x 10 drive RaidZ2.

And the molex spilters can cause problems because the molex connection isn't the best. So hope they use the highest quality molex splitters instead of cheap chinese splitters.

But it is a great build! Nice hardware platform. And I love the 3 SAS controllers.

Not sure about FreeNAS. I prefer Nas4Free or ZFSguru.

My own server is a 6x 3tb RaidZ2 with ZFSguru.

I got what I needed from the video in the first two and a half minutes.  Thanks for the simple explanation as to why this is all needed.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Hi and really good job!(First post here)

I would like to know your thoughts on this written by sub.messa (can't find original post):

"As i understand, the performance issues with 4K disks isn’t just partition alignment, but also an issue with RAID-Z’s variable stripe size.

RAID-Z basically works to spread the 128KiB recordsizie upon on its data disks. That would lead to a formula like:

128KiB / (nr_of_drives – parity_drives) = maximum (default) variable stripe size

Let’s do some examples:

3-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 2 = 64KiB = good

4-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 3 = ~43KiB = BAD!

5-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 4 = 32KiB = good

9-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 8 = 16KiB = good

4-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 2 = 64KiB = good

5-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 3 = ~43KiB = BAD!

6-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 4 = 32KiB = good

10-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 8 = 16KiB = good"

And is there any prefomance gains in spreading out the drives more evenly over the the controllers? as I've heard from some users using this system.

Did you do any sort of burn in test of the drives before use?

And lastly how frequently do you have scrubbing set up?

//Nemo

Chicken on fishes,this is awesome 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

As previously said by others. The optimal configuration for a RAIDZ2 is either 4, 6, 10 or 18 drives.

These drives probably have 4k sector sizes so the pool should be aligned for 4k (ashift=12).

It might also be worth looking into compression. LZ4 is incredible and only compresses data with a minimal compression ratio of 12.5%.