R9 290

Nohemi

should I get the R9 280 or R9 290 graphics card. I am going to be playing modded mine craft, csgo, and H1Z1

the 290 only draws a little more power than the 280, and performs 50% better on average. its an easy choice unless cost is a problem.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

should I get the R9 280 or R9 290 graphics card. I am going to be playing modded mine craft, csgo, and H1Z1

What is your CPU?  The R9 290 is the much stronger GPU, so if you can afford it, that is the one you should get.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

depends how much your getting them for

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It should be fine

Magical Pineapples

This is my setup so far if you need. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wkz7Bm

You have a $1,100 budget?

Is overclocking something you are interested in or not?

I know overclocking sounds daunting, but once you understand the premise of it, it is very nice to have.  Mainly, some games are very CPU bound, and benefit greatly from an overclock.  Also, being able to overclock extends the useful life of your system because as time passes, a 3.4Ghz i5 is not as imposing as it is today.  Being able to overclock, even if not from the start, it allows you to crank up the speed in a couple years, and your processor is immediately powerful again, which means you won't have to upgrade as soon as you would have.

Case in point, those with i5-2500's need to upgrade their processors.  Meanwhile, those with i5-2500k's are still gaming happily because they are able to overclock and it makes their processors just as strong as new i5's.

Also, do you live near a Microcenter by chance?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you can afford it, the R9 290. I'd recommend a Sapphire model, either Tri-X or Vapor-X, whichever you can afford. (Vapor-X being slightly better)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

The 290 is far superior to the 280 not to mention is has all the newer stuff from AMD like true audio and the likes

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

R9 290's are pretty nice! Especially for their price.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I recommend something like this.  It is $40 over budget, but it is a much better system that will easily last you years longer than your current proposed build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tvF8kL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tvF8kL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Unlocked i5 processor at a good price.
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Incredible price on such a high end Z series motherboard.  Snatch this up now.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) <-- This SSD performs the same in day-to-day tasks.  Excellent value.
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.47 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($233.98 @ Newegg) <-- Beautiful GPU. Stylish, powerful, fits your build aesthetic.
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($97.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Fantastic chassis.  One of the best ever made.
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G246HYL bmjj 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($130.98 @ Newegg) <-- Much nicer monitor for the same price.  IPS Panel, and 1" bigger.
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1140.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 20:17 EDT-0400

There are also some PromoCodes online for NCIXUS.com that give you as much as 10% off purchases from new customers.  That would drop the price of your CPU and mobo down nicely.

If you live near a Microcenter, then this price will be below $1,140.

You have a $1,100 budget?

Is overclocking something you are interested in or not?

I know overclocking sounds daunting, but once you understand the premise of it, it is very nice to have.  Mainly, some games are very CPU bound, and benefit greatly from an overclock.  Also, being able to overclock extends the useful life of your system because as time passes, a 3.4Ghz i5 is not as imposing as it is today.  Being able to overclock, even if not from the start, it allows you to crank up the speed in a couple years, and your processor is immediately powerful again, which means you won't have to upgrade as soon as you would have.

Case in point, those with i5-2500's need to upgrade their processors.  Meanwhile, those with i5-2500k's are still gaming happily because they are able to overclock and it makes their processors just as strong as new i5's.

Also, do you live near a Microcenter by chance?

I happen to live about an hour away

I recommend something like this.  It is $40 over budget, but it is a much better system that will easily last you years longer than your current proposed build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tvF8kL

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tvF8kL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Unlocked i5 processor at a good price.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Incredible price on such a high end Z series motherboard.  Snatch this up now.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) <-- This SSD performs the same in day-to-day tasks.  Excellent value.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.47 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($233.98 @ Newegg) <-- Beautiful GPU. Stylish, powerful, fits your build aesthetic.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($97.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Fantastic chassis.  One of the best ever made.

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.00 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer G246HYL bmjj 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($130.98 @ Newegg) <-- Much nicer monitor for the same price.  IPS Panel, and 1" bigger.

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($26.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1140.33

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 20:17 EDT-0400

There are also some PromoCodes online for NCIXUS.com that give you as much as 10% off purchases from new customers.  That would drop the price of your CPU and mobo down nicely.

If you live near a Microcenter, then this price will be below $1,140.

do you think the Phantom 530 is "better" than thePhanteks Enthoo Pro Case?

I happen to live about an hour away

do you think the Phantom 530 is "better" than thePhanteks Enthoo Pro Case?

Definitely not.  The Enthoo Pro is much better.  So many more features for under $100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

Ok, Microcenter! This is good because they have incredible in-store CPU and motherboard bundles.

You can buy an i5-4690k + MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard for $295 or an i5-4690k + Asus Z97-AR for $299.  Either are excellent options.  There is also the ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard that is only $250 with the i5, but it is black and blue. Also, the ASRock motherboard doesn't allow for multi-GPU setups which might become a big thing when DX12 is in full swing. If multi-GPU is something you are not interested in, then maybe you want to go with the ASRock motherboard and pick some different RAM so it matches the blue/black motherboard better.

Definitely not.  The Enthoo Pro is much better.  So many more features for under $100.

Ok, Microcenter! This is good because they have incredible in-store CPU and motherboard bundles.

You can buy an i5-4690k + MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard for $295 or an i5-4690k + Asus Z97-AR for $299.  Either are excellent options.  There is also the ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard that is only $250 with the i5, but it is black and blue. Also, the ASRock motherboard doesn't allow for multi-GPU setups which might become a big thing when DX12 is in full swing. If multi-GPU is something you are not interested in, then maybe you want to go with the ASRock motherboard and pick some different RAM so it matches the blue/black motherboard better.

thanks for the advance I like the phantom 530 because it looks cool, but I can swag out the other case with maybe some LEDS inside

thanks for the advance I like the phantom 530 because it looks cool, but I can swag out the other case with maybe some LEDS inside

Go with what you prefer, this is your build.

That is what I did with my Enthoo Pro.  I bought an NZXT Hue and the LEDs look great, can also change the color.  There are less expensive options than the Hue if you want a single color.  An NZXT Red LED Strip costs less than $15 on Newegg.  Thats honestly what I should have went with since I primarily use either White or Blue, so having a full color range isn't really beneficial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

wow just watched the video 100% buying the Ethoo Pro

wow just watched the video 100% buying the Ethoo Pro

Yea man, the Enthoo Pro is amazing. I own one and love love love it. So do other Enthoo Pro owners.

Yea man, the Enthoo Pro is amazing. I own one and love love love it. So do other Enthoo Pro owners.

.... i'm looking at my phantom 530 with a bit of jealous rage now :P

that is a seriously awesome case. I love it too, it has such great attention to detail (admittedly this is what drew me to the phantom 530)

that Enthoo Pro takes a lot of what i love about the 530 and just wow... i can't believe that case. the only thing my 530 has that the enthoo doesn't is a fully modular drive bay section (as in i can have exactly the drive bays i need installed and remove the rest).

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

.... i'm looking at my phantom 530 with a bit of jealous rage now :P

that is a seriously awesome case. I love it too, it has such great attention to detail (admittedly this is what drew me to the phantom 530)

that Enthoo Pro takes a lot of what i love about the 530 and just wow... i can't believe that case. the only thing my 530 has that the enthoo doesn't is a fully modular drive bay section (as in i can have exactly the drive bays i need installed and remove the rest).

The drive bays of the Pro are modular too!

The drive bays of the Pro are modular too!

not AS modular :P

i have a one drive bay module, a two bay module and a three bay module. allowing me to have exactly the number of bays i need and no more, and they can be stacked in any order. From what i saw in the video, the pro has 2 three bay modules.

besides, its the one thing my 530 has on the pro... please let it have it  :(

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB