144hz vs GPU.

orcinhell

Hi guys. (I suck at coming up with tittles)

So this is more of a speculation type post as I don’t think anyone could answer it 100%. So with that in mind… This week we saw the Square Enix tech demo which was mind blowing. The future of pc gaming as always is exciting. We have also seen 144hz monitors come more into focus over the past year/s and 1440p being sort after. Currently most PC gamers still game at 1080p and 60hz but we could see that change in years to come.

144hz is a beast to power. Gsync and Freesync has come into the mix and addressed the problem of tearing and input lag. No longer do we really have to aim to hit a minimum for Vsync level to get great image quality with no tearing as we now have variable refresh rate tech available to us. But the pursuit of more frames is also great.

Soooo… Do you think we will see the day a single card can push those sort of frames in the latest games (I realize CPU comes into play, but trying to keep it simple) or will 144hz largely be a duel GPU solution for the optimal experience? On top of the fact 1440 seems to becoming a new standard slowly for gaming.

I personally think its crazy spending 1000 dollars on monitor to only spend 500 dollars on a card (currently) and spending 1000 dollars on cards to only spend 400 on a monitor also seems nuts to me. Balance is always my goal. So for me something like dual 970's for a better/optimal experience on a 1440p/144hz monitor that costs close to if not the same is not such a crazy thing. But that still leaves the question... will there be a day when high settings are possible with a single card running at 1440p @ 144hz.

(My prices are AUD)

Down the line yes it will happen. But right now, no.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Yeah.

Well lets just hope, because, some people (like me) dont like dual gpu's because of the problems they show. 

Also, once you got to 144hz, you can never go back...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

its gonna happen, but not as soon as you may think

yes sure, 1440p is becoming more affordable (to acquire and to power) but i think that 1080p will still be the standard in a majority of gaming set ups for awhile due to their ease of acquirement and ability to be driven above 60Hz with ease.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

its gonna happen, but not as soon as you may think

yes sure, 1440p is becoming more affordable (to acquire and to power) but i think that 1080p will still be the standard in a majority of gaming set ups for awhile due to their ease of acquirement and ability to be driven above 60Hz with ease.

Yea I know plenty of gamers still gaming on a 2007/8 1080p monitor happily. I would be too if mine didn't brake. I dont expect to see the same speed of adoption that flat panel 1080p monitors saw.

I think It really depends on the size of the screen you game on.

I personally use a 24" screen and 1080 is perfect.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V  RAM: Corsair Vengence LXP 2666 16GB  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT  Storage: Samsung 840-EVO 500GB SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD  PSU: Thermaltake 850W semi modular 80 Plus Gold  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Keyboard: Armaggeddon Kalashnikov 770i  Mouse: Armaggeddon Alien IV G9X

we already have single cards that can do that..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

we already have single cards that can do that..

Yea we do but $1500+ single card dual GPU solutions are beyond what a normal customer would buy, and that is really the spirit of the post, single card with a single gpu. Even for most enthusiasts I would bet dual 980's is really getting into the higher end of things and out of their comfort zone for spending (me included). More realistically a single 980 or dual 970's is were most enthusiasts see the sweet spot. For the general gaming community this is lower again most seeing a single 970 or 290x as the sweet spot.

Yea we do but $1500+ single card dual GPU solutions are beyond what a normal customer would buy, and that is really the spirit of the post, single card with a single gpu. Even for most enthusiasts I would bet dual 980's is really getting into the higher end of things and out of their comfort zone for spending (me included). More realistically a single 980 or even dual 770's is were most enthusiasts see the sweet spot. For the general gaming community this is lower again most seeing a single 970 or 290x as the sweet spot. (same goes for amd)

single titan-x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Yea we do but $1500+ single card dual GPU solutions are beyond what a normal customer would buy, and that is really the spirit of the post, single card with a single gpu. Even for most enthusiasts I would bet dual 980's is really getting into the higher end of things and out of their comfort zone for spending (me included). More realistically a single 980 or dual 970's is were most enthusiasts see the sweet spot. For the general gaming community this is lower again most seeing a single 970 or 290x as the sweet spot.

A Titan X can do that, I'm fairly sure.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

single titan-x

Derp, my bad could have sworn when i looked it up it was dual. but I still stand by my realm of realism remark as that card is damn expensive. and sexy.

Derp, my bad but I still stand by my realm of realism remark as that card is damn expensive. and sexy.

yes

Yea I know plenty of gamers still gaming on a 2007/8 1080p monitor happily. I would be too if mine didn't brake. I dont expect to see the same speed of adoption that flat panel 1080p monitors saw.

+1

although new 1080p monitors with high settings in games still look and feel really nice so there really isnt a reason for someone who's "stuck" at 1080p gaming to be upset :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well, as GPUs increase in power in an effort to drive higher resolutions, those with 1080p will see higher framerates. The 970, 980, and the R9 290 are proven capable of playing at 1440p and even 4K if settings are turned down, so divide the amount of pixels that need to be managed and we find ourselves with people with high refresh-rate monitors having a fluid experience.

[witty signature]