Raid question

Dalbaa

Quick question. I've been thinking about going raid 0 on two Samsung 850 evo's (250gb) however there is just one thing that i haven't been able to figure out is what happens when you disconnect the drives. Will it not be able to recognize the raid or does it not matter? even if you change the port that it/they are on?

I know more or less know all the pros and cons of raid but just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I just haven't been able to find anywhere where they mention messing around with it after it is set up. only the pros and cons and so forth 

i will be using the Intel raid solution on a asus maximus V formula. 

in advance thank you for any help provided. May your loot be plentyfull and your 360 no scopes many :)

-snip-

It depends on what raid format you will be using...

It depends on what raid format you will be using...

For 0 It shouldn't corrupt it.

-snip- 

But, you can't recover that data without both drives.

You have to keep them on the same controller, but should be able to move them around between the ports on that controller.  Just a heads up, some controllers can be extremely finicky about this, but you should be ok.

Quick question. I've been thinking about going raid 0 on two Samsung 850 evo's (250gb) however there is just one thing that i haven't been able to figure out is what happens when you disconnect the drives. Will it not be able to recognize the raid or does it not matter? even if you change the port that it/they are on?

I know more or less know all the pros and cons of raid but just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I just haven't been able to find anywhere where they mention messing around with it after it is set up. only the pros and cons and so forth 

i will be using the Intel raid solution on a asus maximus V formula. 

in advance thank you for any help provided. May your loot be plentyfull and your 360 no scopes many :)

Hey Dalbaa,

I wouldn't advise you to move them around once the RAID array is set up. Different controllers would react differently and the chance of data corruption is rather high. Do keep a backup somewhere else in case something goes wrong with the array since RAID0 provides zero redundancy with higher than normal chances of drive failure and data corruption/loss. If you happen to disconnect them and encounter problems with reading the array on other slots, simply place them back just as they were set up and the data should be visible again.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

thanks i figured that it should be fine. It will be on the intel raid cotroller so it wouldn't make sense if it couldn't register it on the same controller no matter what port they are connected to. I'm not planning on moving them around and it's on a gaming pc with no important data on it. I was just wondering what would happen if i was doing some troulbeshooting or some other reason like a new build that would make me unplug them. 

Thanks for the help :)

If you disconnect one of the drives the data is unreadable, as the the blocks of data is split evenly on both drives. You must have both working to read any data.

If you disconnect one of the drives the data is unreadable, as the the blocks of data is split evenly on both drives. You must have both working to read any data.

yea i know all that stuff just didn't know what would happen if you disconnected them both and then connected them again on the same controller.