HTC One (M7) battery problem.

So I've had this phone for a year, and it doesn't have the greatest battery life. But recently my phone will get super hot in my pocket and the battery will drain super fast. The thing is it is on standby with no apps on or running. Is there any way to fix this or am I stuck with this until I can upgrade?

Sounds to be an OS Overload...

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 CPU: INTEL G4400 CASE: DIYPC-SOLO-T1-R 

HDD: 160GB SEAGATE SSD: 128GB SAMSUNG PRO 850

POWER SUPPLY: 550W ANTEC

Tin foil hat. Factory reset? Clearing cache of apps. Clearing apps. You might want to figure out the order how to do these things yourself.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

So I've had this phone for a year, and it doesn't have the greatest battery life. But recently my phone will get super hot in my pocket and the battery will drain super fast. The thing is it is on standby with no apps on or running. Is there any way to fix this or am I stuck with this until I can upgrade?

Are you running Lollipop? Also, I would try clearing the cache partition. That usually helps. Also have you installed any apps recently that you haven't used before?

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

Ever since I flashed Google Play Edition ROM to my M7 the phone has been running flawlessly :) but yeah, try factory reset, or disable GPS and such, those can be power hogs... I remember my phone getting hot to the point I couldnt even touch it and I was running Sygic only 

sounds to me like you got to clear the cache partition. i had the same issue, and doing this really helped me out.

also, a bit off topic, but.

Ever since I flashed Google Play Edition ROM to my M7 the phone has been running flawlessly :) but yeah, try factory reset, or disable GPS and such, those can be power hogs... I remember my phone getting hot to the point I couldnt even touch it and I was running Sygic only 

what GPE ROM did you flash? 'cause i flashed this one and my GAPPS keeps on crashing! 

Ever since I flashed Google Play Edition ROM to my M7 the phone has been running flawlessly :)

Really now? My brother is running an M7 with the exact same issue, and I assumed the phone was just faulty. So you had the heat and battery issues before the flash to a new ROM?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

what GPE ROM did you flash? 'cause i flashed this one and my GAPPS keeps on crashing! 

From here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2358781

It is the full stock ROM with OTA updates :)

Really now? My brother is running an M7 with the exact same issue, and I assumed the phone was just faulty. So you had the heat and battery issues before the flash to a new ROM?

That was a while ago and happened only once, and was maybe due to the fact I had a ALUMINUM bumper case (oh, how dumb of me)... ever since I switched it to a gel case, not a single heat issue