Moving HDD to SSD - Bios ACHI/IDE

Hey there,

So I am thinking of buying an SSD to use as a boot drive in partnership with my current WD 1tb Caviar Blue HDD, which would be used as a storage device. I understand that if I cloned the hdd to the SSD using something like Samsung EVO software, I would need to set the SSD to the first boot priority.

However, I see that you need to change the SATA type from IDE to ACHI in order to get the ssd to work. I also see that you need to change some things in the registry to get ACHI to work and boot (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/how-can-i-make-ide-to-ahci-in-windows-8/d2cbad22-6306-4764-984a-cea5e97b8d11)

From the site: 

1. Exit all applications
  2. Go to the start screen and type in regedit.
  3. If you see the UAC (User Account Control) dialogue box, just click continue.
  4. Locate the the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \
    SYSTEM
    \
    CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\

5. Locate the Error Control entry which should have a value of 3. Right-click on the entry name, select Modify, change the value from 3 to 0 and click OK.
  6. Open the StartOverride folder and locate an entry named 0 with a value of 3. Change the value to 0 by following the procedure in step 5.
  7. Restart and enable AHCI in your system BIOS

So. Do you do these steps ^ before or after setting the SSD to the #1 boot priority? And do you do them before or after setting the SATA type from IDE to ACHI in the bios?

Thanks.

Or alternatively, would this method be easier to do on the HDD:
(Run msconfig (right click far left bottom corner of desktop then left click run, type msconfig).

Click boot tab, mark safe boot, restart, change to AHCI in BIOS, boot, Windows boots in safe mode.

Run msconfig again, boot tab unmark safe boot, restart PC.

PC works fine. Don't mess with regedit you only need to boot in safe mode to fix this, very simple.)

Question: Cam you run a HDD on AHCI? Would this method be suitable to do, then set the bios to ACHI, then clone the hdd onto the ssd and then set the ssd to boot priority?

What you need to do is to do the guide in your first post after you've set the SSD as the boot drive, but before you change it from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS.

Modern HDD's should be set to AHCI wherever possible, they run far better than in IDE mode, IDE mode is a compatibility mode for legacy operating systems such as Windows XP, whereas AHCI is better suited to modern OS's, so you really should be running AHCI on all your drives if you can help it.

Also, and most people would agree with me here, you really should do a fresh install if possible, you'll notice far better performance from your SSD, and there are many many reasons for that, most of which I won't go into as a lot of them are quite technical, but trust me when I say you should do a fresh install, you'll thank yourself for it later on

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Hey there,

So I am thinking of buying an SSD to use as a boot drive in partnership with my current WD 1tb Caviar Blue HDD, which would be used as a storage device. I understand that if I cloned the hdd to the SSD using something like Samsung EVO software, I would need to set the SSD to the first boot priority.

However, I see that you need to change the SATA type from IDE to ACHI in order to get the ssd to work. I also see that you need to change some things in the registry to get ACHI to work and boot (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/how-can-i-make-ide-to-ahci-in-windows-8/d2cbad22-6306-4764-984a-cea5e97b8d11)

From the site: 

1. Exit all applications

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \
    SYSTEM
    \

5. Locate the Error Control entry which should have a value of 3. Right-click on the entry name, select Modify, change the value from 3 to 0 and click OK.
  6. Open the StartOverride folder and locate an entry named 0 with a value of 3. Change the value to 0 by following the procedure in step 5.

So. Do you do these steps ^ before or after setting the SSD to the #1 boot priority? And do you do them before or after setting the SATA type from IDE to ACHI in the bios?

Thanks.

What you do is you clone your drive first, then do that in the registry. Go set the SSD up in your PC while it's off. Then boot into the BIOS. Change the boot type to AHCI. You're golden now and Windows will boot.

Or you could just do a fresh install m8

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hey there,

From the site: 

1. Exit all applications

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \
    SYSTEM
    \

Thanks.

Hey GeorgeAcres,

Cloning a HDD onto a SSD most of the times makes the system treat the SSD like a HDD and miss the important features such as TRIM. I would suggest either doing a fresh install or system restore with a system repair disk: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

However, if you still decide to clone the drive and fiddle with the registry, do it on the SSD and, as @STRMfrmXMN suggested go to BIOS and change the option. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/