GTX 970 SLI Shared Memory? 4GB or 8GB?

Go to solution Solved by Unhelpful,

Hey guys, I'm going to get another GTX 970 and run it in an SLI config (2x ASUS STRIX GTX 970), and I have two questions.

1) Do I have 4GB or 8GB then? Will the memory be shared in a Raid kinda thing?

2) If a game needs more than 3.5 GB of VRAM, will it use the slower 0.5GB, or the 3.5GB on the other card?

Thanks,

Marc

1. SLI does not add. You have 4gb.

2. It will use it in order and when you hit 3.5gb you will use that .5gb slower reserve. 

Hey guys, I'm going to get another GTX 970 and run it in an SLI config (2x ASUS STRIX GTX 970), and I have two questions.

2) If a game needs more than 3.5 GB of VRAM, will it use the slower 0.5GB, or the 3.5GB on the other card?

Thanks,

Marc

Thanks,

Marc

1. SLI does not add. You have 4gb.

2. It will use it in order and when you hit 3.5gb you will use that .5gb slower reserve. 

Its just 4GB for now, until DX12 gets released.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Its just 4GB for now, until DX12 gets released.

careful there. that's only rumored. even if it is possible, it's not guaranteed it's going to be widely implemented.

It's not rumored, it's fact. However, it's up to the developer to enable such things. So. Good luck. Look at how long we've had multiple core CPU's and yet they still refuse to move from the smallest common denominator.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's not rumored, it's fact. However, it's up to the developer to enable such things. So. Good luck. Look at how long we've had multiple core CPU's and yet they still refuse to move from the smallest common denominator.

by rumored I mean that is rumored that games will support it. developers don't enable things. that implies that it's as simple as flipping a switch. what developers really do is implement things, which is much more complicated and can require rewriting lots of code.

I'm only beginning to program, but when I was told to change my code to implement something as simple as functions, I ended up spending more time rewriting my code to pass pointers back and forth than I did to program the logic of the program itself.(the code in my example was a basic median image filter)

by rumored I mean that is rumored that games will support it. developers don't enable things. that implies that it's as simple as flipping a switch. what developers really do is implement things, which is much more complicated and can require rewriting lots of code.

I'm only beginning to program, but when I was told to change my code to implement something as simple as functions, I ended up spending more time rewriting my code to pass pointers back and forth than I did to program the logic of the program itself.(the code in my example was a basic median image filter)

Oh, it won't be used for any older games. Only ones going forward.

Enabling by recoding is the same thing. Don't argue semantics. It's a failing battle.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Look the upgrade is worth it jsut by itself without the Ram stacking as its been proven that SLI 970's beat a 980. and in my country the two options are very very similar priced. I'm going for a second 970 prob in a year or so, My performance is amazing right now so no need to shell out the money. 

Short answer, IMO Go for it. I've done a lot of reading on the matter and its a very solid upgrade, Plus it looks badass inside the case. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333