Media Server + TV/Video Capture.

Hello everyone, I was hoping some of you could help me. I have been looking to build a computer to act primarily as a file server for Video/Pictures that can be accessed over the network. Allowing me to stream to my TV, or any of my pc's, and possibly tablets. I was also planning to build a separate computer to handle TV capture from my cable box but am currently planning on combining the two builds. That is of course under the assumption that there is no real gain in keeping them separate.

The build was a few months off but I happened to be in a locally owned computer store to get some help on another build I was working on. When I brought up the media server the manager pushed over a server and offered to sell it to me. Long story short I now own a server and have pushed up the timeline on this build. I havnt had the time to tear the server apart to look up and research the individual components but it came with the following. 

- Server Case

- Motherboard

- four gigs of ram (can hold forty-eight)

- one cpu (can support two)

- On board Raid support (four devices)

- Raid card (eight devices)

- CD drive

If its needed/asked for I will try to get the full specs on the motherboard/raid card and post them. 

What I am essentially looking for from the community is advice on the following

- What capture card should I get? Is it worth getting a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N5814&cm_re=video_capture_card-_-15-116-065-_-Product or would I be fine going with a cheaper/less powerful card?

- Which raid should I use? At the moment I am leaning towards raid ten but this will be my first raid setup, so its new territory for me. 

- How much hard drive space should I look at getting initially? I would be putting around 50-60 movies to start off. 

- What software should I use to run the server. I have been looking at FreeNAS and Plex so far but again, new territory.

Now I do live in the US, so please keep that in mind. I prefer to purchase my parts from Amazon, Tiger Direct or newegg but if there is another reputable dealer out there with a good deal/return policy I am not against using them. As far as price I am prefer not to put in more then $450 in additional components/software. Please keep in mind that it is not a solid price ceiling as I am willing to go above it if its worth it to do so.

If there are any questions do not hesitate to ask and again, thank you for your help.

<snip>

for the TV capture, look instead into a cablecard tuner. I have a Silicondust HD Homerun Prime, which when connected to the cable from my TV provider(FIOS), with a Cablecard I rent from them for $5, allows any computer in my house to watch TV through windows media center, and it can record Tv as well. the windows media center experience is surprisingly robust. the home server that also serves as the kitchen TV is used for recording shows, which can be viewed from any other computer in the house later on. it has all the DVR features I need including guide functionality, only drawback is that it is tricky to set up and sometimes is tempermental

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I will look into it.