First Gaming Rig.

Hey guys! How’s everybody doing? I am writing in to ask to rate my build. This is going to be my first gaming rig and would like your opinions, as well as, answer a few questions I have.  This is my planning phase of the build. I am going to save up for it and hopefully by late August or early September, I should have enough.  Also skipping the steam summer sale this year will help me out lol

I was looking for an updated gaming laptop, but decided against it and go for my first gaming rig (desktop).  I couldn’t find a gaming laptop that gave me similar power (gpu, multitasking, display, and sound) with a more professional look (I hate how ugly and childish looking the laptops are). The retail stores I'm mostly going to buy from are from (most desired to least, but will still buy from if the price is cheapest): B&H Photo, NewEgg, and Amazon (get both taxed and pay for shipping). Budget is 4K or less. 

Here are the specs that I’m looking for:

did not include a OS because I'm assuming Windows 10 will come out about the time I build the PC and will be using the free upgrade key from my current laptop (which came with W7) to use on the PC. 

Compared to my current gaming laptop:

This PC is for:

PC gaming, 

Graphic Designing (for fun),

Video Editing (for fun)

Blu-Ray and Streaming Movies and TV

I also do have a few questions. 

Monitors:

The two monitors are going to be doing separate things. I am probably not going to combined them to get a resolution of 3840 X 1200p or 3840 X 1080p. I don’t mind that the montiors limit is at 60Hz. 

I might use display fusion to combine the monitor in everyday use and separate the monitors for gaming. 

Graphics Card and CPU Questions. 

How do I overclock my CPU? GPU?

How long do you think the GTX 980 and Intel 4770K will last if I game at 1920 X 1200? 1920 X 1080? 3840 X 1200 (rarely)? On High-Ultra Settings.

How much does a dedicated PhysX card improve graphics (that is why the GTX 750 Ti is for…It would also be used as a backup GPU if the 980 craps out and needs to be sent out for repair)? 

Are there are list of games that support PhysX?

These are the games I’m looking to play. If possible, can you tell me how they perform?

I am looking somewhere between 40-60 FPS (if possible). Also long as the games are playable (sadly I have to mention that :mellow: )

These games I’m not really worried about graphics, but for performance:

Counter Strike: GO

Payday 1

Payday 2

Team Fortress 2

Killing Floor 1

Killing Floor 2 (when it goes on sale)

Left 4 Dead 1

Left 4 Dead 2 

Insurgency 

APB Reloaded

Titanfall

Evolve (will eventually pick it up)

World of War Craft 

Overwatch (when that comes out)

Hearth Stone

These games I care about both graphics and performance (I want to max them out and get the highest frame rates as possible):

Assassins Creed Series

Far Cry Series

Crysis Series

Batman Series

BioShock Series

Grand Theft Auto Series (Especially interested in GTA V)

F.E.A.R. Series

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series

The Witcher Series

Saints Row Series

Borderlands Series

Call of Duty Series

The Elder Scrolls Series

Metro Series

Battlefield Series

Fallout Series

AAA games the past 4 years. 

AAA games that come out for the next few years (don’t really expect an answer for this since we don’t know the specs of those games yet).

Emulators (Please don’t start with emulators. I’m okay with it since the games I’m playing, I own the physical disks for)

To the emulator players

Can I get a guess on how the emulator might run with the rig? 

The systems are for PS1, PS2, PSP, and Dolphin (GC and Wii). 

Also, for NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, and DS.

Software

What are some essential software for new PC?

What are some recommended software you use?

What are some benchmarking software?

Essential gaming software?

Steam/Origin/Uplay/Battle.net

A couple of question about steam. 

Does anybody know what would happen to the steam games (if for what ever reason) if steam goes out of business?

How many computers can a game be installed on while using steam?

I am going to be using my current laptop for school and would like to put some games on here from time to time and would like to know if I can install games on two different PCs at the same time (if I I’m going to be using to separate computers (not at the same time though). 

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know it’s long and really do appreciate you taking the time to read this and hopefully answer. 

too.

many.

words.

can.

not.

comprehend.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

physx cards are basically useless

why no 4790k?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1. Get a 4790k, over a 4770k. It should be the same, if not cheaper price-wise. 

2. Don't bother with the liked of a H100i, noisy and there's the risk of leaking. Get a Noctua NH-D15, of Phanteks PC14-PE

3. Get some low profile ram, to be able to fit one of the above coolers

4. Case is a little pricey imo, the likes of a Phanteks Enthoo Pro/ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe / Fractal Design R5 is plenty big enough, and looks better

5. I'd consider getting an EVGA 750W unit, or something from Seasonic instead. Those RM units use some cheap parts (jonnyguru reviews ftw)

6. A dedicated card for PhysX is pointless nowadays

7. That motherboard is a little pricey and a cheaper motherboard can OC just as well, i'd say get a Gigabyte Gaming 7, or Asrock Fatal1ty Professional, or even the cheaper Asus Sabertooth

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Personally, going with a $4000 build and getting only a single 980 doesn't seem right, or does only 16gb RAM.

Get a 4790k instead of the 4770k. It's on sale right now for slightly more than a 4690k, so i'd snap it up.

Really expensive mouse... look around for something else maybe?

Sound card is unnecessary for just gaming.

Do you really need a $350 MOBO?

With the money saved, get a second 980.

If i were you, i'd just say you have $4000 to spend and ask others to come up with the perfect build for you.

I don't do signatures.

There are plenty of guides on youtube, it's easy

How long do you think the GTX 980 and Intel 4770K will last if I game at 1920 X 1200? 1920 X 1080? 3840 X 1200 (rarely)? On High-Ultra Settings.

You won't be gaming ay 3840x1200. The bezel will be in the way. In 1080p at least 5 years.

How much does a dedicated PhysX card improve graphics (that is why the GTX 750 Ti is for…It would also be used as a backup GPU if the 980 craps out and needs to be sent out for repair)? 

Not much. I wouldn't even worry about a PhysX card.

Can I get a guess on how the emulator might run with the rig? 

Emulators should run fine

What are some essential software for new PC?

Malwarebytes, AVG, Afterburner, Frap, Drivers

What are some recommended software you use?

The ones I listed above

What are some benchmarking software?

Valley, Heaven, Geekbench

Essential gaming software?

Msi afterburner and fraps

Does anybody know what would happen to the steam games (if for what ever reason) if steam goes out of business?

Steam will legally have to remove their DRM from the games

How many computers can a game be installed on while using steam?

As many as you want I believe

I am going to be using my current laptop for school and would like to put some games on here from time to time and would like to know if I can install games on two different PCs at the same time (if I I’m going to be using to separate computers (not at the same time though). 

Yes

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know it’s long and really do appreciate you taking the time to read this and hopefully answer. 

Your welcome.

Also a side note, by the time you build this Skylake and 980ti may be out. See what they have to offer.

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Thanx guys for the advice! I really appreciate it.  

I'll answer some of your graphics/CPU questions:

It's easy, there are many guides on these forums, and YouTube; pretty much can be found anywhere in the Internet (Here's a link to one: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-graphics-card/#page-2)

I would say roughly around 3-5 years with the GTX 980 (would recommend getting a i7-4790K  if you're going to invest into 4770K), but then it's hard to predict what will happen in next 5 years. In the most extreme cases, you may have to lower your settings in the later years.

Not by much, and it will consume energy and generate extra heat when it's not in use. I would rather spend the money elsewhere (such as a additional GTX 980 in the future)

Are there are list of games that support PhysX?

These are the games I’m looking to play. If possible, can you tell me how they perform?
Here are some benchmarks (as well as reference GTX 980 benchmarks):
Basically, the GTX 980 is more than enough to handle a good majority of games today at above 100 FPS at the resolutions you will playing at, and definitely 99% of games today will run above 60 FPS.  

EDIT: Forgot to mention; as others have said, I would keep an eye towards the GTX 980 Ti when it launches (which should be soon). Might last longer than the 980, but it's still early to tell (There are rumors that the GTX 980 Ti is NOT using the Titan X GM200-400 chip but rather a GM200-310 chip, presumably less powerful as originally thought to be)

EDIT 2: I saw your updated list: get EVGA's 750W G2 PSU instead, it comes with a 10 year warranty compared to Seasonic's 5 year. I would recommend adding a HDD back, just for extra storage capacity.

EDIT 2: I saw your updated list: get EVGA's 750W G2 PSU instead, it comes with a 10 year warranty compared to Seasonic's 5 year. I would recommend adding a HDD back, just for extra storage capacity.

Thanx for the advice. I took out the 4 TB because I look around and I still have a sealed 4tb and a sealed 2tb.  

Can you please shorten what you want lmao. Whats your budget?

CPU : i7 4790K // GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G // CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 // MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI // RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 //    Case & PSU // Fractal Define S & EVGA 750W

Build I came up with. You can add whatever else you need. 

2 144hz monitors, they're less than the others you had.

2 Superclocked 980's.

More then enough power. ( Can prob go down a little if you want but if you're max-clocking, prob keep the 1k PSU )

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($193.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($534.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($534.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($54.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Micro Center) 
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($73.99 @ NCIX US) 
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset  ($85.83 @ Amazon) 
Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $3146.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 22:56 EDT-0400

CPU : i7 4790K // GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G // CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 // MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI // RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury @ 1866 //    Case & PSU // Fractal Define S & EVGA 750W

Build I came up with. You can add whatever else you need. 

2 144hz monitors, they're less than the others you had.

2 Superclocked 980's.

More then enough power. ( Can prob go down a little if you want but if you're max-clocking, prob keep the 1k PSU )

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($193.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($73.99 @ NCIX US) 
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $3146.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-03 22:56 EDT-0400

Wow...That's awesome.  That's $400 cheaper than my updated build.  Thanx :D. I'll check into it.  

Wow...That's awesome.  That's $400 cheaper than my updated build.  Thanx :D. I'll check into it.  

That's not with all your extra's. You can always ask for them for christmas if you're into that.

Whats your budget? Might be able to make it better.

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PROFESSIONAL ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($148.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($277.99 @ Adorama) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card  ($999.99 @ Micro Center) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($97.99 @ NCIX US) 

Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($169.49 @ SuperBiiz) 

Monitor: Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor  ($280.98 @ Newegg) 

Monitor: Asus PA248Q 24.1" Monitor  ($280.98 @ Newegg) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 

Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers  ($141.98 @ Newegg) 

Other: Logitech C920  HD Pro Webcam ($89.99)

Other: PS4 Controller ($49.99)

Other: XBONE Controller ($53.99)

Other: Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive Chair ($155.99)

Other: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Systems ($193.99)

Other: RAZER Goliathus CONTROL Edition Soft Mouse Pad - Large ($24.89)

Total: $4107.73

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 07:57 EDT-0400

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

2 x 27" 1440p IPS Monitors. The Acer is a G-Sync IPS screen for gaming on. The BenQ can be used for Video editing and your other uses.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($146.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($199.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($539.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($359.10 @ Amazon) 

Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($799.99 @ Amazon) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 

Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers  ($141.98 @ Newegg) 

Other: Logitech C920  HD Pro Webcam ($89.99)

Other: PS4 Controller ($49.99)

Other: XBONE Controller ($53.99)

Other: Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive Chair ($155.99)

Other: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Systems ($193.99)

Other: RAZER Goliathus CONTROL Edition Soft Mouse Pad - Large ($24.89)

Total: $3831.52

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 08:19 EDT-0400

snip

2snip

Thanx guys! I will check these builds out when I get back from work tonight.  Thanx for the advice and input :)