New PC Build Advice

Hello,

This is my first PC that I am going to build. I know that it is a bit overkill but I want to do 1440p gaming at around 55-60 fps and media/web browsing at 1440p. (I have a 1440p monitor). This PC is suppose to last me around 4-5 years so this is why I am going a bit overkill, so I do not have to upgrade in the future. Help and suggestions are extremely appreciated.

Here is my parts list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KQh6FT

Looks good to me, just make sure that your case fans are not conflicting with each other (NCIX did a video on it).

You don't really need a 200$ mobo. So get a cheaper mobo and add a SSD.

Everything else seems fine.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

If I were you I'd wait for the GTX 980 ti or R9-390X. Other than that your motherboard is too expensive and your power supply is way way too much (unless you're getting the R0-390X, then it's just too much). Your case is an interesting choice and a 120GB SSD might be a good idea.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

The CPU cooler is overkill unless you plan to overclock.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

The CPU cooler is overkill unless you plan to overclock.

He has an i5 4690K I think he is overclocking.

Looks good to me, just make sure that your case fans are not conflicting with each other (NCIX did a video on it).

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know about my case fans conflicting with each other, and I could not find the video, so would it be possible for you to give me a link to the video?

You don't really need a 200$ mobo. So get a cheaper mobo and add a SSD.

Everything else seems fine.

Thank you! What SSD would you recommend to store just my OS and maybe 2 other software on it (like Office).

Thank you! What SSD would you recommend to store just my OS and maybe 2 other software on it (like Office).

A Crucial BX100 would serve you well. And it is quite cheap.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

If I were you I'd wait for the GTX 980 ti or R9-390X. Other than that your motherboard is too expensive and your power supply is way way too much (unless you're getting the R0-390X, then it's just too much). Your case is an interesting choice and a 120GB SSD might be a good idea.

I know that my PSU is overkill, but let's say I want to do SLI 980's in the future. Will the 750w G2 EVGA PSU support SLI 980s? Thank you! 

I know that my PSU is overkill, but let's say I want to do SLI 980's in the future. Will the 750w G2 EVGA PSU support SLI 980s? Thank you! 

Two 980s should be fine, but did you mean to say 850w?

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know about my case fans conflicting with each other, and I could not find the video, so would it be possible for you to give me a link to the video?

Unless that RAM was on a price drop it is REALLY expensive! Like $50 too expensive. That is $10 shy of GTAV!

Sheesh why is every one following the 980 bandwagon? It's the worst possible time to buy that card!

Sheesh why is every one following the 980 bandwagon? It's the worst possible time to buy that card!

Why? Or should I go SLI 970, for 1440p games and multimedia

SLI 970in my opinion for the same price. Also get some Cheaper ram. I recommend G.skill RipJaws X series 2x8.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Why? Or should I go SLI 970, for 1440p games and multimedia

Because it's still full retail price. As opposed to the 290x which started life over $500, which now costs around $300. The 980 commands a massive premium because it's new and AMD hasn't yet released a new card. The 980's price has nowhere to go but down. Why pay full retail for it? It just doesn't make sense.

For 1440p gaming, go with a 970. Then add a second 970 in the future when it starts lowering in price.

like seriously u r going to have windows 7 for $165, 

go for MSI Z97 pc mate Much cheaper almost same, and i think u can get windows 8.1 for $100

else everything is fine (save as much as u can, cuz technology gets old every day, so believe u r going to need and an upgrade in the near future)

Because it's still full retail price. As opposed to the 290x which started life over $500, which now costs around $300. The 980 commands a massive premium because it's new and AMD hasn't yet released a new card. The 980's price has nowhere to go but down. Why pay full retail for it? It just doesn't make sense.

For 1440p gaming, go with a 970. Then add a second 970 in the future when it starts lowering in price.

what about only 3.5 gigs of vram issue? It won't be future proof and play demanding games in the future at 1440p 60 fps

what about only 3.5 gigs of vram issue? It won't be future proof and play demanding games in the future at 1440p 60 fps

None of the current video cards will play demanding games in the future at ultra settings at 1440p 60fps. Trying to future proof your computer is like a dog chasing its tail... especially for gaming! The 3.5gb is an issue but at least the 970 is relatively affordable. The price of the 980 rivals a small house repair. It has the highest potential of any modern card to drop in value. Plus, with the release of DirectX12 on the horizon, buying a top tier video card is a bad idea. Even though the 900 series will "support" DirectX12, it really won't. No older card ever fully supports future software. That's just not how marketing works.

Just as a blanket statement, since I'm using money to support my statements, I wouldn't purchase any Nvidia 900 series video cards right now. But getting people to realize that team red has better or similar options for lower prices is a tough sell. That's why I suggested the 970 to you.