how long does it take for a hard drive to hibernate

Alir

How long does it take for a hard drive to hibernate and then boot up from hibernation?

I'm thinking of installing the OS on a hybrid drive and installing all my programs on a separate 128gb m.2 SSD. I hibernate my PCs a lot and since SSDs can only endure a limited number of read write cycles, I would rather have the OS on a hybrid - the operation of my OS' won't be that much slower anyways.

Oh and I AM referring to HDDs only - I know the process on SSDs is pretty quick.

And I am talking about hibernating with up to a max of 8gb of data from the RAM

How long will it take to boot? No idea, but shouldn't be long since it's hibernate. How long it takes to enter hibernation depends on the speeds of the disks, as it dumps the RAM to the disk.

How long does it take for a hard drive to hibernate and then boot up from hibernation?

I'm thinking of installing the OS on a hybrid drive and installing all my programs on a separate 128gb m.2 SSD. I hibernate my PCs a lot and since SSDs can only endure a limited number of read write cycles, I would rather have the OS on a hybrid - the operation of my OS' won't be that much slower anyways.

Oh and I AM referring to HDDs only - I know the process on SSDs is pretty quick.

Waking up from hibernation is generally pretty quick. The drives just has to spin up, after that they will be pretty much done.

As for the read/writes for SSD's. You don't really have to worry about newer SSD drives dying on you due to too many writes (reading doesn't wear them out).

Waking up from hibernation is generally pretty quick. The drives just has to spin up, after that they will be pretty much done.

As for the read/writes for SSD's. You don't really have to worry about newer SSD drives dying on you due to too many writes (reading doesn't wear them out).

I meant that by hibernating you will be reading and writing 8gb of data to and from a hard drive.

Wouldn't that take a long time?

Hey Alir, 

You should be able to wake up and go to hibernation pretty quick. SSHDs store some of the system data on the SSD portion of the drive and that should enable it to flush the data pretty quick on the HDD portion as soon as the drive spins up. You should be OK. :) Safest way is to find a friend or a store where you can test it before buying the actual drive.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/