HDD causing vibrations.

t-scene

I have a Seagate 1TB HDD.  It is causing vibrations when running, I can feel on my desk and sometimes it gets bad enough for my SSD to rattle in its cage.

It is in a plastic tool less drive cage with no other way of mounting it. It is also the loudest thing in my PC at idle.

Is this normal or is the drive trash?

I have a Seagate SSHD in my PS4 and its silent.

I have a Seagate 1TB HDD.  It is causing vibrations when running, I can feel on my desk and sometimes it gets bad enough for my SSD to rattle in its cage.

It is in a plastic tool less drive cage with no other way of mounting it. It is also the loudest thing in my PC at idle.

Drives can cause vibrations to amplify or the case it's in to resonate, I had to occur to mine and it would always get loud and quieter every 10 secs since it was resonating. Using some rubber washers on the drive mount screws will help another good thing is mounting the entire drive cage on some soft foam or even going as far as isolating the drive by suspending it.

Suspended drive:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html

It's normal for this to happen. You have to mount the drive better, add rubber washers and screws. Those tool-less drive cages are 90% of the time crap.

Is it the actual drive or the bay? If the bay is vibrating it's fine, just screw it in more, but if it's the drive I would be a little concerned and get a new one. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Is it the actual drive or the bay? If the bay is vibrating it's fine, just screw it in more, but if it's the drive I would be a little concerned and get a new one. 

Its a plastic cage the just snaps into the case. The drives slide in and clip. 230t_int_35bays-645x631.jpg

Hey t-scene,

If the cage is not firmly seated inside the case, it is normal for the drive to cause vibrations. Try putting it on the lowest possible place in the cage (if you have multiple places to put it). Also try fixing it in one place with screws if possible. 
Running a diagnostic tool provided by the manufacturer won't hurt. I would do it just to be on the safe side that the drive is functioning properly and there is no risk of data loss. 
If you have space and a 5.25" bay, you can find a mounting cage for that spot and mount the drive there. 
Looking for some vibration reduction foam, rubber or cushion tools and see if they have any positive effect. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Its a plastic cage the just snaps into the case. The drives slide in and clip.

I see that you could remove the clips from one slot and use screw holes instead. Or get silence kit and mount it to 5.25'' bay.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv