Arizona all over my GS70 2OD (Stealth)-001US

Hi,

So I spilled juice all over my laptop keyboard. The keys are now like glued and the keyboard is not usable.

Is there anyway to clean this sticky stuff? I do not want to do more harm to the laptop.

I didnt find any help on the MSI support center and no information at how to remove the keyboard or the keys to clean the stuff.

Please help.

Thanks

with laptops ive found its easier to take it somewhere that does it professionally. just less risk

This is a extreme, but take the keyboard out then simply submerge it in soapy water (use dish soap if possible) and let it soak for a hour or so. Then let it dry, and by dry I mean for like 2-3 days. Then give it a shot. While the keyboard is out you might take a cloth to what is showing and just clean up any extra mess you might have.

As long as you let the keyboard dry good there is no damage that could be done.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Do what @JefferyD90 said. Works, but if there's ANY water left, your keyboard will be fried.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

I think MSI offers replacement keyboards?

MSI GT70 2OC- CPU: Intel i7 4700MQ @2.40GHz, Memory: 16GB DDR3, GPU: Nvidia GTX 770m, SSD: Adata SP600 256GB, HDD: HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB

[spoiler=The Story of Lord Gaben(Warning:Lots of reading or use the audio link)]"Once upon a time there was a young man called ancient Lord Gaben Newell. The young man saw that the gamers of this world were in need of protection, and so he begun a quest to better the PC gaming world for all of us. On his first day, Gabe created the half life, a wonderful game made by a wonderful lord. The peasants cried. "Why do you cry, little peasant?" the lord bequeathed. "The nearest store to my house is too far Gaben, please find us a way to get the games without the trek." said the peasant. And so on his second day, Gabe created the steam, at first the peasants hated this shit, but at least the games could downloaded rather than venturing into the cold world, and purchased. Gabe was happy, but when he looked at the peasants, they cried. "Why do you cry little peasant?" the lord bequeathed. "We need more games Prince Gaben, please convince the other knights of gaming to join your cause." said the peasant. And so on his third say, Gabe invented more games, dozens, hundreds, thousands of publishers. More games than a person could play in a lifetime. But the peasants still cried. "Why do you cry little peasant?" The lord bequeathed. "There are too many games and we are too poor, Baron Von Gaben, we need more affordable options for gaming." said the peasant. And so on the fourth day, Gabe invented sales, a wondrous new invention, never done anywhere, in which you buy something for like five bucks. In fact, sometimes, it's like two bucks or three bucks, it's pretty crazy. But oh how the peasants did cry. "Why do you cry little peasant? The lord bequeathed."We are still so poor, Count Gaben, we need games that are free. Games that can let anyone into their world, without costing them a penny." said the peasant. And so on his fifth Gabe invented Free to Play, a dangerous yet monumental idea, that he saw some Koreans do, and figured "Eh What the hell, fuckin eh, we're America, ain't nobody gonna have the best free games, but us." That would allow gamers to play for free. This time Gabe was sure the peasants were happy. He not only created a form DRM peasants wouldn't give a shit about, but also a service, that no other knight in the land could stand against. But when Gabe looked at the peasants, when Gabe looked at the peasants, they were no longer poor, they were fat and greedy. They called themselves glorious, and made fun of all the other peasant gamers of this world because their lord had treated them so well. Gabe met with these people to see if they were in fact happy, but they weren't. "Where is Half Life 3? It's been too long. What have you been doing? Taking mods and turning them into games? Pushing sales for money? FUUUCKK YOOUU GABE!!" Gabe cried a single tear. "I can't give you games that are no finished peasants." said the Lord. "WHY NOT?" yelled the peasants. "Give us the Games that are not finished. MORE. MORE. MORE." yelled the peasants. A thunderbolt struck, and Gabe went home to sleep. Gabe new that tomorrow, would not just be the sixth day, it would be the last day. And so on his sixth and final day, Gabe invented EARLY ACESSSSS!! I FUCKING HATE EARLY ACESS!!!!" 

-Bruce Willakers Source and Audio Version

This is a extreme, but take the keyboard out then simply submerge it in soapy water (use dish soap if possible) and let it soak for a hour or so. Then let it dry, and by dry I mean for like 2-3 days. Then give it a shot. While the keyboard is out you might take a cloth to what is showing and just clean up any extra mess you might have.

As long as you let the keyboard dry good there is no damage that could be done.

So with this laptop model I can safely remove it?

Do what @JefferyD90 said and if the keyboard still has issues you can buy one here and it might be a good time to invest in one of these

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

So with this laptop model I can safely remove it?

Well I don't know the model, so I couldn't tell you. But generally they are easy to remove.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Unless you have lots of experience with laptop repairs, do not do it yourself. You may think it's just the keyboard, but guaranteed it leaked under the keyboard into the body. You need to have everything dried out, and taken apart to avoid the risk of booting it with liquid still inside and bridging traces resulting in a dead system. It's just not worth the risk if you don't know intimately what you're doing. 

I've been doing repairs for years, and I've seen too many people botch this by not letting it dry long enough, forcefully pulling on things they don't realize are connected by a cable, or plainly not waiting long enough to ensure everything is dry (a recommend a week minimum). Also.... do NOT use rice, seriously, that is a horrible idea. That shit will get everywhere, and the dust can fuck up fan bearings big time by mixing with the lube and acting like a powdered abrasive.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Thanks guys.

I was able to remove the keycap using this tutorial I've just made.

So by removing and cleaning them with water and soap, the sticky icky icky is gone.

@SlayerOfHellWyrm

I don't think anything else is affected, the laptop was open when the juice flowed on it and my gf (she's actually the one who commited the crime) had to finish her Diablo 3 rift before cleaning the mess. She also used it for 3 days after that.

@JefferyD90

I've read that the keyboard is also melted inside the casing, whereby made it harder to replace it but also may protect the inside from various outside hazard.