New GPU Decisions

booternet

So My old GTX 670 windforce 3x 4gb edition actually blew up yesterday and gave out a fair bit of smoke which stunk the whole house out fun times... However this card ran everything flat out with no problems so it did its duty well.

what im now going to be looking at is the 980ti or the r9 390x, this would even be at 1080p gaming or higher depending on how i feel, but the main factor for me is the card i get has to be 4gb vram or higher i can max that out pretty easy. what im asking for is people opinions not a flame war for which card will or is turning out to be better so far, as i dont want to waste cash on one card and find out the other is better.

ive also contemplated the titan x but found that would be just a complete waste of time. if its of any help the uses for these cards would be streaming/gaming/editing.

Thanks

Booternet

What's the rest of your specs?

Sig under construction.

If its going to be at 1080p, the GTX 970 will work perfectly fine, though the 980 would be an even better option.

I'd say probably go for 970 sli, the whole "VRAM Gate" shouldn't be an issue at 1080p, and if DX12 allows for VRAM stacking, then you shouldn't have issues with it even at 4K.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Its not that im a Nvidia FanBoy, but I generally rather the top-of-the-line Nvidia GPUs, as they have lower Power Usage(Electricity in spain is absurdly expensive)/heat output and I do use the Nvidia Ncoder (shadowplay) for streaming and its great. 

If you don't care about power or heat, just go with whatever one gives you higher frames or the best price/performance one, you decide.

(IMO 960<280X<290<970<980) i hate the 960 price/performance...

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

If you only want it for 1080p gaming then I would just buy the GTX 970, it'll run all the games max settings at around 60fps or over, but if you do plan to go for 2k, or even 4k then I would wait for the GTX 980TI, you wont have to deal with any vram issues the 970 may lead you into in the future, and one of them should be enough for max settings at 2k @60fps for pretty much all games.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

What's the rest of your specs?

i7 3770k Oc'd to 4.5ghz

8GB DDR3 Vengance Corsair 1600mhz but its at 1866 OC'd

1000w OCZ Gold PSu

Z77 Extreme 6 Mobo

i will be changing my setup this year to a dual xeon build for the streaming purposes but thats what it is for now

If its going to be at 1080p, the GTX 970 will work perfectly fine, though the 980 would be an even better option.

I'd say probably go for 970 sli, the whole "VRAM Gate" shouldn't be an issue at 1080p, and if DX12 allows for VRAM stacking, then you shouldn't have issues with it even at 4K.

Its not that im a Nvidia FanBoy, but I generally rather the top-of-the-line Nvidia GPUs, as they have lower Power Usage(Electricity in spain is absurdly expensive)/heat output and I do use the Nvidia Ncoder (shadowplay) for streaming and its great. 

If you don't care about power or heat, just go with whatever one gives you higher frames or the best price/performance one, you decide.

(IMO 960<280X<290<970<980) i hate the 960 price/performance...

If you only want it for 1080p gaming then I would just buy the GTX 970, it'll run all the games max settings at around 60fps or over, but if you do plan to go for 2k, or even 4k then I would wait for the GTX 980TI, you wont have to deal with any vram issues the 970 may lead you into in the future, and one of them should be enough for max settings at 2k @60fps for pretty much all games.

for the Vram and 1080p, i will be more than likely going 4 or 5k by the end of the year so ill need the grunt and probably 2 of which of the two cards i get to be fair, electricity wise in the UK however isnt so bad so im not worried there. if as you say DX12 allows Vram stacking then 2 980's would be fine would i would need to be sure on that also!

So My old GTX 670 windforce 3x 4gb edition actually blew up yesterday and gave out a fair bit of smoke which stunk the whole house out fun times... However this card ran everything flat out with no problems so it did its duty well.

what im now going to be looking at is the 980ti or the r9 390x, this would even be at 1080p gaming or higher depending on how i feel, but the main factor for me is the card i get has to be 4gb vram or higher i can max that out pretty easy. what im asking for is people opinions not a flame war for which card will or is turning out to be better so far, as i dont want to waste cash on one card and find out the other is better.

ive also contemplated the titan x but found that would be just a complete waste of time. if its of any help the uses for these cards would be streaming/gaming/editing.

Thanks

Booternet

You only want a 980 if you're doing high resolution gaming. They are a waste of money for 1080p gaming. For 1440p, get a 970 or an R9 290X. For 4k, get either 2 970's, one 980, or spend a little more on the AMD 295x2. Waiting for the 300X series would also be a step in the right direction, since the 200's are power sucking furnaces of graphics cards, and if you're SFF or don't have great airflow, a 290X will throttle for sure.

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

for the Vram and 1080p, i will be more than likely going 4 or 5k by the end of the year so ill need the grunt and probably 2 of which of the two cards i get to be fair, electricity wise in the UK however isnt so bad so im not worried there. if as you say DX12 allows Vram stacking then 2 980's would be fine would i would need to be sure on that also!

For 4k get the GTX 980Ti when it's out, and if you still need more power sli that in the future when you upgrade to 4k, 4k is very demanding, right now though x2 980's in sli will run a lot of games around 60fps @ 4k 

I wouldn't just get 1 980 for 4k though if you want to game at ultra/max @ 60fps

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

You only want a 980 if you're doing high resolution gaming. They are a waste of money for 1080p gaming. For 1440p, get a 970 or an R9 290X. For 4k, get either 2 970's, one 980, or spend a little more on the AMD 295x2. Waiting for the 300X series would also be a step in the right direction, since the 200's are power sucking furnaces of graphics cards, and if you're SFF or don't have great airflow, a 290X will throttle for sure.

I think with the current console gen with thier ports or remade build of thier games becoming more vram hungry and will get more progressively so over time, i dont think if stackable two 970's would cut it with 6gb i can just see games getting to 7 by the end of the year thats if they are bad ports though, take metro for instance. wasnt aware you can sli two 970's with a 980 also though so will look at that, ill probably go 2k or higher gaming wise. more thinking along the lines of triple monitor with the centre being a 4k then the other 2 at 2k or something as ill only want to game on the centre screen.

For 4k get the GTX 980Ti when it's out, and if you still need more power sli that in the future when you upgrade to 4k, 4k is very demanding, right now though x2 980's in sli will run a lot of games around 60fps @ 4k 

I wouldn't just get 1 980 for 4k though if you want to game at ultra/max @ 60fps

i understand it will fit 60fps nicely on 4k but ill generally want more on the safe side, but that would be two 980ti's in that case or if the new r9 series coming out with the new build they are doing is better i wont know what to pick haha.

I think with the current console gen with thier ports or remade build of thier games becoming more vram hungry and will get more progressively so over time, i dont think if stackable two 970's would cut it with 6gb i can just see games getting to 7 by the end of the year thats if they are bad ports though, take metro for instance. wasnt aware you can sli two 970's with a 980 also though so will look at that, ill probably go 2k or higher gaming wise. more thinking along the lines of triple monitor with the centre being a 4k then the other 2 at 2k or something as ill only want to game on the centre screen.

i understand it will fit 60fps nicely on 4k but ill generally want more on the safe side, but that would be two 980ti's in that case or if the new r9 series coming out with the new build they are doing is better i wont know what to pick haha.

If you're getting three monitors but only gaming on one, get 2 ultrawide monitors.

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

Yeah wait and get 1 980ti, will be fine for now, then when you switch to 4k get another and it will run nicely if you want to be on the safe side. Till the r9 390x series comes out I wont know either aha.