Overclock tips needed i5-4690k

hi everyone i finished my pc i got an asus z97 gamer pro and a raijintek triton cooling the i5 4690k. I come from an amd fx 8320 i dont have any idea how to oc on intel the only thing i know is the safe vcore is 1.30v. I used the asus software to do the oc automatic and it gave me 4.3 ghz. Can someone help me tunnig? I would like to lower the voltage and cpu clock when the computer is in idle aswell.Thanks :)

this.jpg

Use the BIOS to overclock, not programs in Windows.

1.25v SHOULD get you 4.5ghz

Thanks im gonna try :)

If you want max overclock try 4.8GHz at 1.3v then 4.7GHz if not stable :)

4.5ghz at 1.25v is the average, which is why it makes the most sense to start there.

im running prime and looks stable pushing the fans speed is giving me 45c. how to lower the voltage when the pc is in idle? not possible?

im running prime and looks stable pushing the fans speed is giving me 45c. how to lower the voltage when the pc is in idle? not possible?

EIST, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep? It should have been enabled by default

There's also C-States, there's a few power saving methods

4.7 ghz with vcore at 1.3 gave me blue screen after 5 min.

4.7 ghz with vcore at 1.3 gave me blue screen after 5 min.

To start, you always do your tests in Manual Voltage, seems you are already doing that, so GJ there.

1.30v is the max safe voltage, so gj there.

If 4.7 gave you blue screen go back down to 4.6, if that test perfect under 1.30v then you have found your stable overclock.

After you have found your stable overclock using Manual Voltage, you can switch to Adaptive Voltage put in your 1.30v and you are done, the computer will now come down off of 1.30v when you are at idle.

DO NOT STRESS TEST WHILE ON ADAPTIVE VOLTAGE.

any questions?

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

i have a pretty decent chip so i got 4.5 stable at 1.2v. anywhere between 1.2-1.3 is typical for devil's canyon at 4.5ghz....

a few tips

Set your uncore (could be called cache ratio) to 39 and the voltage for it at 1.010v.

REMEMBER TO SET YOUR LLC!!! my board goes from 1-9 i have mine set at 3. 3-4 would be best. if you don't set this, you'll likely be pushing way more volts under load.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24019-load-line-calibration-why-overclockers-should-care/for more info on LLC

good luck. i hope you have as much luck as i did. also ya... don't use software to overclock, they tend to max the LLC (check the link for why that is stupidly dangerous) and other stuff. take it slow, i'd recommend 2 hours of stress testing with OCCT when you reach the higher overclocks.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB