What would be the most probable max OC for an FX 6300 with a gigabyte 970a UD3p

Ummm... Not quite how that works...

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Ummm... Not quite how that works...

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

It depends more on the luck of the draw, of the processor you get.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Overclocking a process that is different for everyone. You need to gradually increase voltage and clock speed while watching your CPU and VRM temperatures until you find a stable overclock you are okay with

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

It depends more on the luck of the draw, of the processor you get.

If my previous max OC was 4.2 ghz, would it improve to some degree? (I was using an asrock MOBO with the same chipset)

Specs claim "8+2 phase CPU VRM power design....." so it should do alright. 

Overclocking a process that is different for everyone. You need to gradually increase voltage and clock speed while watching your CPU and VRM temperatures until you find a stable overclock you are okay with

I did all that, was stable with 4.6 ghz for 2 hours with prime95 then it got fried

If my previous max OC was 4.2 ghz, would it improve to some degree? (I was using an asrock MOBO with the same chipset)

I'd say to some degree, if the board is really better than stability will be better.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Doubt changing boards will yield much better results. 

I did all that, was stable with 4.6 ghz for 2 hours with prime95 then it got fried

Then that wasn't stable?

I'd say to some degree, if the board is really better than stability will be better.

Aight, but what would your estimations be if I completed the build with this MOBO

Then that wasn't stable?

Stability with prime95 for 2 hours, that was pretty stable to me. I guess the MOBO was a bottleneck?

Then that wasn't stable?

I ran prime95 for 2 hours, went to killing floor 2 for an hour then did some mild browsing for an hour, so I thought that was a pretty stable stress to me

Then that wasn't stable?

The stress test itself fried the mobo, it wouldn't turn on after browsing, it just froze and started giving 2 beeps every time I tried to turn it on so a fried motherboard was the conclusion.

Really can't say much more without knowing which ASRock board it was. 

Really can't say much more without knowing which ASRock board it was. 

it was an asrock 970 pro3

You need to know a general safe area for your CPU voltage. If you're going above ~1.45v without really knowing what you're doing you have a pretty good chance to fry a FX CPU. You're not using auto voltage are you?

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

You need to know a general safe area for your CPU voltage. If you're going above ~1.45v without really knowing what you're doing you have a pretty good chance to fry a FX CPU. You're not using auto voltage are you?

Nope, I stuck with 1.45 as it was a stable voltage.

So, what do you think is fried? the CPU or the motherboard, it has been giving 2 beeps and never turning on since the overclock. I've tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING

it was an asrock 970 pro3

That was only a 4 stage power design with no heat sinks. No wonder it died. lol 

That was only a 4 stage power design with no heat sinks. No wonder it died. lol 

So motherboard? xD

Perhaps. 

So if I "upgrade' to the gigabyte will I yield better results?