Reverse engineering - the only chance for modders?

Stefan1024

I'm working on a highly customized case and cooling solution for a new build. Therefor I need a lot of mechanical specification of the electronic parts. For all the standardised stuff like the drill drawing of the MoBo it's easy, but try to find information about the exact position of the CPU. Let alone the VRM section of a GPU (mechanical not electrical information).

At the moment I use my caliper rule to reverse engineere the whole GPU. It works but it's time consuming. Sadly EVGA refuses to provide a single bit off information. Company secret.....

How do you get your information?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I'm working on a highly customized case and cooling solution for a new build. Therefor I need a lot of mechanical specification of the electronic parts. For all the standardised stuff like the drill drawing of the MoBo it's easy, but try to find information about the exact position of the CPU. Let alone the VRM section of a GPU.

At the moment I use my caliper rule to reverse engineere the whole GPU. It works but it's time consuming. Sadly EVGA refuses to provide a single bit off information. Company secret.....

How do you get your information?

I wouldn't expect most manufacturers to give out detail drawings on waterblock or electrical diagram on their stuff since they want to make it as hard as possible for the majority to create or manufacture something like that themselves. Most times estimation is good but for specific things like contacting components on a PCB that's going to take a few goes with some prototypes, I wouldn't know of any other way of really obtaining such information if they aren't willing to opening help or provide it.

If you take high resolution well lit pictures of a PCB then you can import it into Solidworks and define a known pixel / distance conversion.  I was able to design a Titan X backplate this way with accuracy that was high enough to where I could probably have had it machined and it would have fit no problems.  Need to be careful though about lens distortion.  For a PCB pic with my cell phone I had to take 3 pictures and stitch them together to make sure I was only using the center portion of the image.

3D though there's really no substitute for a depth micrometer. 

The ultimate solution is spending a thousand bucks and having your part 3D scanned.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

If you take high resolution well lit pictures of a PCB then you can import it into Solidworks and define a known pixel / distance conversion.  I was able to design a Titan X backplate this way with accuracy that was high enough to where I could probably have had it machined and it would have fit no problems.  Need to be careful though about lens distortion.  For a PCB pic with my cell phone I had to take 3 pictures and stitch them together to make sure I was only using the center portion of the image.

3D though there's really no substitute for a depth micrometer. 

The ultimate solution is spending a thousand bucks and having your part 3D scanned.

To import a picture is a very good way to check the model. But I won't rely on a drawing only generated by the photo.

Anyway it helpt me to find en error. Thanks!

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil