keyed start

waggythegeek

How can I mod my case to start the PC with a key? Insert, turn, and power on.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

you mean the power button every PC has?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Well you would need to get the lock into the circuit, but you can configure a USB stick do work as a key on most Mobos

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

How can I mod my case to start the PC with a key? Insert, turn, and power on.

you would want to find a keyed momentary switch and wire that how the power switch currently is wired

you mean the power button every PC has?

Yeah, I wanna replace that with a key. Like in a car.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

just use a key switch

3442KEYSWITCHSMALL.jpg

you would want a momentary one though, cause if you leave it in the on position it will just turn off your PC after 5 seconds

like this:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/momentary-key-switch

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you would want to find a keyed momentary switch and wire that how the power switch currently is wired

Can I get links and tutorials please?

Well you would need to get the lock into the circuit, but you can configure a USB stick do work as a key on most Mobos

explain more please. How's this work?

You could get a power button that requires a key to start and connect it to thee mobo. Your case should be locked though, otherwise someone could just start it up from the mobo itself.

explain more please. How's this work?

The USB stick ? go to your UEFI and search for a USB key option, not that hard

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

The USB stick ? go to your UEFI and search for a USB key option, not that hard

So I just turn that on, and then... Putting a USB in will start the PC?

You could get a power button that requires a key to start and connect it to thee mobo. Your case should be locked though, otherwise someone could just start it up from the mobo itself.

again, link?

oh now i get what you want and damn, that's cool. i want that too! :D

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

So I just turn that on, and then... Putting a USB in will start the PC?

No the PC will only boot if the USB stick is in it

1. Is there such a thing as a case lock?

2. If there isn't, that's fine, I just think it looks cool. Most people don't have the ability to start a PC from the mobo. Hell, most people can barely use a computer #experienceswithnontechies

No the PC will only boot if the USB stick is in it

Ah cool cool

Is it just any USB, out is it tied to a specific USB?

Ah cool cool

Is it just any USB, out is it tied to a specific USB?

No you configure one USB and thats the key then

No you configure one USB and thats the key then

If I lose the USB, does that just suck for me?

If I lose the USB, does that just suck for me?

I don't know haven't looked into it that much, but I guess you could reset the CMOS so shouldn't be a problem

Go to your local hardware store and pick up a keyswitch that you like. they usually have some that work.

12v. If i'm not mistaken computers run on 12v. And the key should have two terminals. As should your on switch.

I've been considering this myself. 

You'll probably need an electric drill with a hole saw bit to make the hole that you'll fit the switch into.

And a kit with connections and a wire stripper

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

just use a key switch when you turn the key it is possible to turn on the pc its like you need to press 2 button to boot it up