Graphics card dying?

REDNINJA2012

Card seems to have taken its last breath RIP old gpus. Also for that one guy saying 1gb is not enough my 650 runs gta5 on low 60fps 1 gb is enough for games still just not on highest settings

How long have you owned this card?

3 years :) I think the problem was that I stopped cleaning it for about 6 months and the dust finally got to it

Where did you get the info that your M5A97 does not support "Green Team" from?

It's a motherboard. It doesn't have secret allegiances or political positions. Uninstall Catalyst drivers, remove dead card, install new (hopefully GTX 970) and away you go.

I've used nVidia cards on M5A97s and M5A99s, they're very compatible together. The fact that your 9800 GT didn't work is likely that it's dead from age too, the 9800s were always a few fries short of a happy meal.

.... either that or your motherboard has a faulty PCIE slot... I suppose that could happen...

Hmm good point

Hmmm looks like that upcoming GPU cooler cleaning video is coming a little late for you :( (it's on vessel though dunno if you've seen that). I think if you cleaned it a while ago it might have saved the card.

So maybe that's something to keep in mind for next time.

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the card itself... how dirty is it right now?

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10409379_1600882636822173_2900493787494540189_n.jpg?oh=2acf7b336d98d06b813a11977748b700&oe=55C34585

I didn't realise that the card got that disgusting lol. I ended up cleaning the computer ready for the new card

Where did you get the info that your M5A97 does not support "Green Team" from?

It's a motherboard. It doesn't have secret allegiances or political positions.

Bahahahahahaha :) just as well could you imagine life where motherboards could

i have to agree that the NVidia compatibility issue may be due to AMD's CCC.exe and so forth, personally not had bad experience switching between but it is a possibility

that NVidia card looks almost like a red rocket card.... huehuehuehuehueh

get a source of dry air, take out all the PCI slot cards and give the slots a (GENTLE) blow-out. Once you've uninstalled AMD's catalyst i believe that MS has a basic render driver that supports up to 1024*768 so you should be able to see your way through. However, if it is displaying nowt but a blank screen then it is perhaps your GPU that is the issue, you might have two toasted GPU's! (the joys).

i love the looks of the older graphic cards. also if you want to bee 100% use DDU to get rid of the old drivers. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

i have to agree that the NVidia compatibility issue may be due to AMD's CCC.exe and so forth, personally not had bad experience switching between but it is a possibility

that NVidia card looks almost like a red rocket card.... huehuehuehuehueh

get a source of dry air, take out all the PCI slot cards and give the slots a (GENTLE) blow-out. Once you've uninstalled AMD's catalyst i believe that MS has a basic render driver that supports up to 1024*768 so you should be able to see your way through. However, if it is displaying nowt but a blank screen then it is perhaps your GPU that is the issue, you might have two toasted GPU's! (the joys).

So Nvidia will definitley work?

So Nvidia will definitley work?

Sounds like a driver issue I'd revert to latest good driver you can, However, if your card is going out I've got a 6950 for sale that I just put new fans and paste on. It'll would get you by until you could afford a new gpu, board and cpu. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

1GB VRAM seems pretty low, are you sure you're not asking too much of it in that respect?

I'm dead certain my 750Ti will run those

1 GB is fine for CSGO....

OP, uninstall the video drivers with DDU and then fresh install the beta drivers and try again. 

You said you have an old Nvidia card? Try that too.

It might be dead, but it might be AMDs god awful drivers too. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

1 GB is fine for CSGO....

OP, uninstall the video drivers with DDU and then fresh install the beta drivers and try again.

You said you have an old Nvidia card? Try that too.

It might be dead, but it might be AMDs god awful drivers too.

AMDs drivers aren't that bad anymore. That kind of display corruption is usually bad memory and a damaged GPU core.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

AMDs drivers aren't that bad anymore. That kind of display corruption is usually bad memory and a damaged GPU core.

While it is likely that it's a dead card, AMD Drivers are still shit. Come on. Nvidia drivers are bad, but AMD drivers are horrible.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

While it is likely that it's a dead card, AMD Drivers are still shit. Come on. Nvidia drivers are bad, but AMD drivers are horrible.

K

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

By the way CPU idle temperatures are around 28 Degrees celcius. The graphics card has started to crash and freeze up even on idle so I'm suspecting a dead card

THE CARD IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the cooler off and found that all the thermal goop had vanished so I replaced it and it is working

I ran a Fur mark test and the temps got up to 103 degrees but it did not crash or do anything stupid

I would like to thank all of you for your great help and support :)

51*C idle is not normal. I hit 55-60 when under load..

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

It's idling at around 40 to 45 degrees Celsius now

idle is irrelevant, load is what matters.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

It's idling at around 40 to 45 degrees Celsius now

Although that isn't much of a decrease, that is still a lot better than what you were getting. What were your load temps before?

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Although that isn't much of a decrease, that is still a lot better than what you were getting. What were your load temps before?

Couldn't even get a load temp because it would just crash

THANKS LINUS I LOVE YOU BABE :)

I'm gonna go buy some anti dust spray :)

THATS PROPABLY DUE TO A CAPACITOR DYING OR HAVING A LOT OF HEAT

SO FIRST TRY TO CHECK IF ANY CAPACITOR IS BOULGING OUTWARDS

AND THE TRY 'NN REPLACE THE THERMAL COMPOUND

LET ME KNOW

THATS PROPABLY DUE TO A CAPACITOR DYING OR HAVING A LOT OF HEAT

SO FIRST TRY TO CHECK IF ANY CAPACITOR IS BOULGING OUTWARDS

AND THE TRY 'NN REPLACE THE THERMAL COMPOUND

LET ME KNOW

Stop.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler