Corsair RM850 exploded!?!?!?!

Sean W.
Hey guys,

I just got my new Corsair RM850Watt powersupply in the mail. unpacked it, threw it in the computer with just one of my gtx 980s to start with. booted up just fine, played a little GTA 5 on it to make sure all was well. Seemed like everything was going fine, so I turned the computer off, plugged in my second gtx 980. pushed the power button, mobo screen appeared, all seemed fine, black screen like it normally does before windows boots, out of the corner of my eye I see an arc in the power supply and BANG!!!

Sounded like a freaking 9mm gun going off right next to me, made my ears ring, scared me half to death. I quickly unplugged the power supply and the pci express cables going to my 980s.

What the hell happened!?!

Took the corsair power supply out, put my old one back in, plugged everything in, tested everything including my 980s separatly. Everything seems to be unharmed, thank god. Unfortunatly its friday night at 8pm and Corsair's customer service will be closed till monday. :mad:

Seems like you've plugged something in really wrong or it was a faulty unit that somehow made it past QC.

Hey guys,

I just got my new Corsair RM850Watt powersupply in the mail. unpacked it, threw it in the computer with just one of my gtx 980s to start with. booted up just fine, played a little GTA 5 on it to make sure all was well. Seemed like everything was going fine, so I turned the computer off, plugged in my second gtx 980. pushed the power button, mobo screen appeared, all seemed fine, black screen like it normally does before windows boots, out of the corner of my eye I see an arc in the power supply and BANG!!!

Sounded like a freaking 9mm gun going off right next to me, made my ears ring, scared me half to death. I quickly unplugged the power supply and the pci express cables going to my 980s.

What the hell happened!?!

Took the corsair power supply out, put my old one back in, plugged everything in, tested everything including my 980s separatly. Everything seems to be unharmed, thank god. Unfortunatly its friday night at 8pm and Corsair's customer service will be closed till monday. :mad:

I think the problem is you " threw it in the computer"

CPU: i7 5820K @ 4.00GHz Mobo: ASUS X99-DELUXE LGA 2011-v3RAM: Corsair LPX 64GB Quad-Channel DDR4 @ 2400MHzGPU: GTX 970 x2 SLI | Storage: 250 GB AMD SSD x 4 Raid 0

Damn lol never seen anything like that before...

I would RMA it 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

did you use an 8 pin EPS instead of 8 pin PCIe cable?

did you plug the cables into the correct modular plugs?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

did you use an 8 pin EPS instead of 8 pin PCIe cable?

did you plug the cables into the correct modular plugs?

everything was plugged in correctly 100%

before it exploded, It did boot into windows fine with both 980s installed. after a few minutes I noticed I forgot to put the SLI bridge on, so I turned the computer off, put the SLI bridge on and then powered it back on, thats when it popped.

everything was plugged in correctly 100%

before it exploded, It did boot into windows fine with both 980s installed. after a few minutes I noticed I forgot to put the SLI bridge on, so I turned the computer off, put the SLI bridge on and then powered it back on, thats when it popped.

RMA?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've been through corsair's legendary RMA service. Just fill in the RMA Form and supply the pictures, send it to Corsair's customer service email and they'll send you a DHL Prepayed slip for your Power Supply. If you mention that you think some of your other parts are broken, Corsair will ask you to ship the full PC to them and will professionally test all your parts (CPU/Mobo/GPU etc) and will refund you the price of your Power supply and any other parts they think broke due to their power supply. My H100i broke and corsair replaced:

My H100i with a H105
My Z87 mobo with a Z97 mobo

My i5-4670k with a i7-4790k (I paid difference)

My Shitty  PSU with an Ax760

My Kingston HyperX RAM with Corsair Vengeance Ram

+ An additional $50 as a "sorry"

I hope you enjoy your RMA experience :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

This is why you buy evga not rm but you'll just have to rma it. :(

How many times do I need to repeat this to people. The RM series got a 9.2 from johnnyguru, on par with all those EVGA PSUs getting tossed around. This dude is known to torture PSUs, you can trust his reviews.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

How many times do I need to repeat this to people. The RM series got a 9.2 from johnnyguru, on par with all those EVGA PSUs getting tossed around. This dude is known to torture PSUs, you can trust his reviews.

The good, the bad and the mediocre. He did give it a 9.2, but the bad may be what caused this PSU to blow.

From jonnyguru review

The Good:

excellent ripple suppression

very good voltage regulation

fully modular

semi-fanless

The Bad:

Ltec capacitors used throughout

The Mediocre:

quiet swishy noises made by the fan in test four, hot box

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

There's nothing inherently bad about the RM units, just the cost of them considering the internal components aren't of as high a quality compared to EVGA and XFX for a similar price.

To the OP I would RMA it ASAP, corsair are pretty darn good for dealing with issues like this, so you shouldn't have an issue.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

snip

Faulty PSU, bad capacitor or something

I had a 700w thermaltake litepower, decided to explode at 3am, woke up everyone and i thought it fried my brand new 290 at the time

Turns out it was a bad cap

If you think a Corsair RM is on par with an EVGA G2 then you are sadly wrong.

If you think a Corsair RM is on par with an EVGA G2 then you are sadly wrong.

I'm gonna back off before this turns ugly.

Good day, sir.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

"All those EVGA PSUs getting tossed around" is very unspecific.

The G2 and B2 are great. The (for some reason also very popular) G1 are trash. People need to stop referring to EVGA as a whole.

"Rawr XD"

"All those EVGA PSUs getting tossed around" is very unspecific.

The G2 and B2 are great. The (for some reason also very popular) G1 are trash. People need to stop referring to EVGA as a whole.

Similar to how lots of corsair are awesome... and some are utter crap. 

It is what it is. Crap happens folks, doesnt matter how much money you spend. What is often more important that a perfect product, is good Customer Service that will fix the problem. Hope @Sean W. has a good experience with this!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Similar to how lots of corsair are awesome... and some are utter crap. 

It is what it is. Crap happens folks, doesnt matter how much money you spend. What is often more important that a perfect product, is good Customer Service that will fix the problem. Hope @Sean W. has a good experience with this!

The problem is the awesome one's are far too overpriced compared to similarly priced units like the EVGA G2, B2, GS, XFX PSUs, Antec PSUs and so on

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

They are NOT on par with the evga g2, but, are by no means bad, and same liklyness to explode as any other PSU.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So this morning I called Corsair, they werent very helpful over the phone. The lady basically told me to go on etheir website and write an email descriibng the incident and they will send me a prepaid lable to ship the PSU to them and inspect then send me an RMA unit. 

I decided I didnt want to do that merry-go-round, So I just returned it to Best But and bought the EVGA 850 G2 power supply. Unfortunately they didnt have in stock at Best Buy, so I need to wait for it to be shipped. Ugh... 

But, before long, I will have a proper, high end Power supply to power my 980s for a long time, reliably... 

This is why you buy evga not rm but you'll just have to rma it. :(

The 850 G2 is a 10/10, though.

It's a 9.9 in his original review, with the price being the one point deduction, and that has since nearly halved.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it