Painting my Keyboard

Deus Regum
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Hey guys. I have an old Thermaltake Poseidon ZX here. and i use it a lot. but now im bored of its looks.

any tips on how i can paint this? 

i want the body to be navy blue and the keycaps to gray or white.

i know i can buy keycaps that don't have prints in them but they're expensive and i need to ship them into my country which would add extra costs.

so i was just thinking is it possible to just paint over the keycaps, if so, what kind of paint, primer and preparations should i do. also with the main body of the keyboard.

Thanks.

If you plan to paint the keyboard I usually suggest not to since it can wear out over extended use, something like a vinyl wrap is a good alternative to that.

However if you do want to spray it you'll need to prep the parts by scruff all the surfaces using some scotch brite pads or finer sandpaper and clean the parts very well before painting. For plastic a primer is almost always required, something like a self etching primer will promote better adhesion by biting into the plastic more but can also dull some of the original surface texture while doing so. After letting it dry the recommended time you can apply the needed top coats to get the proper coverage, usually between 2-3 coats. If you want even better protection after letting it dry the appropriate amount of time you can apply a matte cleat coat to it to help give it some better protection.

Hey guys. I have an old Thermaltake Poseidon ZX here. and i use it a lot. but now im bored of its looks.

i know i can buy keycaps that don't have prints in them but they're expensive and i need to ship them into my country which would add extra costs.

so i was just thinking is it possible to just paint over the keycaps, if so, what kind of paint, primer and preparations should i do. also with the main body of the keyboard.

Thanks.

Lo and Behold

Also if you want grey keycaps, you can buy them online @ mechanicalkeyboards.com

Just a Techie Girl!

Thanks.

If you plan to paint the keyboard I usually suggest not to since it can wear out over extended use, something like a vinyl wrap is a good alternative to that.

However if you do want to spray it you'll need to prep the parts by scruff all the surfaces using some scotch brite pads or finer sandpaper and clean the parts very well before painting. For plastic a primer is almost always required, something like a self etching primer will promote better adhesion by biting into the plastic more but can also dull some of the original surface texture while doing so. After letting it dry the recommended time you can apply the needed top coats to get the proper coverage, usually between 2-3 coats. If you want even better protection after letting it dry the appropriate amount of time you can apply a matte cleat coat to it to help give it some better protection.