SSHD Failure rates & reliability vs HDDs - Worth it?

xeromynd

On my quest to figure out the perfect storage solution for my setup.

I need two 1TB 2.5" drives:

One will be for game installs

One will be an audio work drive. (Basically same as video editing, rendering, heavy stuff, loading lots of files at once etc...)

Currently I'm debating between the following two drives:

-2x HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Laptop HDD

------and------

-2x Seagate 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 2.5" Laptop SSHD

I understand that the SSHD will be faster (even though it's listed in places as being 5400RPM, what?) . But I'm wondering about failure rates on SSHDs vs. the regular HDD I mentioned. Is it worth it in the long run? 

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Would be the same. All SSHDs are are just a HDD with an SSD cache. 

At least that's what I think it is, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Would be the same. All SSHDs are are just a HDD with an SSD cache. 

At least that's what I think it is, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's probably slightly better, considering you're accessing the HDD part less on average.

Sig under construction.

It's probably slightly better, considering you're accessing the HDD part less on average.

Possibly, but the difference would probably be negligable (I can't spell that damn word)

It would seem that the SSHD would be more reliable because the SSD would be for heavy reads, while the HDD would be for heavy writes. Since they are doing what they do best the most, the SSHD might be more reliable.

Possibly, but the difference would probably be negligable (I can't spell that damn word)

Negligible.

@xeromynd I'd personally go with the HGST. They're meant to be super reliable.

Sig under construction.

It would seem that the SSHD would be more reliable because the SSD would be for heavy reads, while the HDD would be for heavy writes. Since they are doing what they do best the most, the SSHD might be more reliable.

Usually they don't put a good SSD part in it. So if your ssd dies, you're fucked 

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Usually they don't put a good SSD part in it. So if your ssd dies, you're fucked 

In real world usage, it might not actually work perfect, but on paper it seems like they would complement each other nicely.

In real world usage, it might not actually work perfect, but on paper it seems like they would complement each other nicely.

On paper yes but not in the real world. I would go get a reliable WD 2.5 inch Black Drive.

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Take a Look at this

I know about these, but not what I'm looking for. I only need two drives, not four.

Not worth it. They can fail easier too

This is what I'm most concerned about. I've seen posts saying both great things about the speed, and then not-so-great things about the failure rates. Can anyone point to some charts or something?

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

I know about these, but not what I'm looking for. I only need two drives, not four.

Go for the 2.5 inch WD Black drives. I am not talking about the video but about there other black drive.

Chase B

Go for the 2.5 inch WD Black drives. I am not talking about the video but about there other black drive.

Ah, gotcha. Not trying to shoot down your posts, but afaik, WD Blacks don't come in 1TB 2.5" flavors. The HGST drives mentioned do, and have double the cache of WD Black's 2.5" drives. Hence why I picked them.

I would avoid SSHDs.  I've heard nothing but bad things from people who use them.

Buy an SSD for your operating system, then a 2TB HDD or two 1TB HDDs for your media.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ah, gotcha. Not trying to shoot down your posts, but afaik, WD Blacks don't come in 1TB 2.5" flavors. The HGST drives mentioned do, and have double the cache of WD Black's 2.5" drives. Hence why I picked them.

i would go with WD

Chase B

i would go with WD

As I just said, they don't have a product that exists with the specs I just mentioned. And personally, I trust HGST more than WD even though they're owned by the same comp, just due to personal experience. The HDD I'm going for is pretty set, not looking to change that. 

As I just said, they don't have a product that exists with the specs I just mentioned.

is this a laptop in question.

Chase B

is this a laptop in question.

No, this a desktop. These will be mounted behind the motherboard.

No, this a desktop. These will be mounted behind the motherboard.

Depending on the case. Do storage in 3.5 bays and ssd for important apps and os. You will be good. Or getto mount

Chase B

Depending on the case. Do storage in 3.5 bays and ssd for important apps and os. You will be good. Or getto mount

That's not what I'm asking here. My plan is to mount two 2.5" drives behind the motherboard. Thus: I need 2.5" drives as I said in OP, not 3.5". I already have a system drive

That's not what I'm asking here. My plan is to mount two 2.5" drives behind the motherboard. Thus: I need 2.5" drives as I said in OP, not 3.5". I already have a system drive

I was just giving you options. I like Wd and I don't know much about the drives u posted.

Chase B

I was just giving you options. I like Wd and I don't know much about the drives u posted.

It's all good, not trying to be a d**k. But I do have everything planned out at this point and am not looking to switch anything up. All that's really left is deciding between the two drives.

Seems so far like the consensus would be to go for the mechanical, as opposed to the hybrid.

Negligible.

@xeromynd I'd personally go with the HGST. They're meant to be super reliable.

But aren't they made by WD or Toshiba?

But aren't they made by WD or Toshiba?

HGST is a WD company, but I'm asking about the Seagate SSHD vs the HGST HDD.

Incidentally, even though HGST is a WD company, I'm still partial to HGST drives. They've just plain lasted longer in my experience, doesn't mean I'm going to go on a crusade like lots of people seem to do. They've been good to me, so I stick with 'em.

**EDIT** will be going with the HDD, and avoiding the SSHD. Thanks all for the advice!