Poor RAM management from Lollipop affecting the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge - Other devices as well?

NV0OP6y.jpg

UPDATE - So I have been reading around and the consensus seems to be suggesting that its not specifically a S6 problem, its a Lollipop problem. This is less surprising, but equally terrible scenario if it is true. 

Perhaps it could be a software fix (seems like it) but all the same, this is terribly shitty on the part of Google for not coming across this at all before. 

Another day, another amusing issue for an Android phone. And its the crowd favourite - RAM management. Or rather, the substantial lack of it. 

Users all over are reporting that their S6s are killing apps with no regard for the actual amount of free RAM left, and some have even reported this behaviour across other devices which might lend credence to the idea that this is a Lollipop problem more than it is a specific device problem. 

In either event, this is kinda sad. People like to go on and on about how Android phone comes with more RAM. Well, looks like you kinda need it, and even then your phones kinda fail at using it properly. You shouldn't need crashed and forced closes on a device running 3/4GB of RAM. That is SAD. 

I have to live in a reality where Windows can use 4GB of ram more efficiently than Android can. What is up with that?? 

I’ve personally been irritated by the horrendous RAM management on my Galaxy S6 edge – apps like WhatsApp and Facebook, which usually stay in memory and show up instantly on devices with 2GB+ RAM, often take time to load as the phone keeps killing their processes. It’s a problem with browsing as well. Chrome will often reload when you go back to it, even if you have only opened one other app after sending it to the background.

Android is designed to remove older apps from memory to free up RAM for current tasks, but the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge seem to take it too far despite having 3GB of RAM (and considerably less bloat than previous Samsung devices taking up memory.) However, the fact that despite killing apps too quickly the phones seem to have very little available RAM suggests it’s a bug and not something deliberate.

Some might say that this is a fault of Android 5.0 Lollipop – indeed, Lollipop does have a memory leak issue, but that doesn’t make the OS aggressive against keeping apps in memory on other devices. Hopefully, Samsung will fix what is one of the very few issues on the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge’s software through a software update as soon as it possibly can, as there doesn’t seem to be any stop-gap solution to the problem at this point.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/04/28/poor-ram-management-affecting-the-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge/

http://bgr.com/2015/04/28/samsung-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-ram-management/

At first I thought it was just the usual Samsung issue of their TouchWiz UI consuming far too much in terms of resources. But it could be an actual problem with Lollipop? I didn't experience this on the M8 when it still worked.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

People still will refuse to believe that iPhones are using their 1GB very good ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

There was bound to be some major issue with the S6, it was just too good to be true IMO. Considering my Laptop can get by with 2GB of ram better than these phones can get by with 3GB, I'm seriously wondering what google are going to have to do to deal with the inefficiency of android.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

This indeed seems to me like either a Samsung issue (in which case I'm not surprised considering touchwiz's rep) or Lollipop issue (in which case I hope it gets fixed soon)

My OPO with 3GB of RAM rarely kills off any app and I don't really run out of ram that fast.

Although it is indeed quite interesting that a Windows pc with 4GB of ram is probably a lot more efficient with it (might also have something to do with the browser used on android, those take up quite a bit of ram I imagine)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

The sad thing is that it's 700 bucks+. I do hope it's just a software issue. I also doubt it is specific to lollipop but rather to samsung's additions, even if lollipop notoriously has issues this would have been noticed way earlier if every device running it had this problem. I don't really care because 1) it's too expensive imo and 2) I'd probably end up running arch linux on it, but samsung should not just get away with this considering the shitstorm nvidia got for the 970 thing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People still will refuse to believe that iPhones are using their 1GB very good ^^

Did the samsung galaxy S5 had the same problem?

Or is it just a recend android OS issue?

Unless it did the OT is just sensationalizing the issue to make android phones look bad.

Its a recent product , every product no matter the company has its growing pains.

OP was saying that the first gen apple products had some issues a couples of days ago , but wont tolerate the samsung products to have issues with their recent products.

I will look how this further develops before drawing conclusions.

Did you just

Bruh, you've awaken the kraken

The sad thing is that it's 700 bucks+. I do hope it's just a software issue. I also doubt it is specific to lollipop but rather to samsung's additions, even if lollipop notoriously has issues this would have been noticed way earlier if every device running it had this problem. I don't really care because 1) it's too expensive imo and 2) I'd probably end up running arch linux on it, but samsung should not just get away with this considering the shitstorm nvidia got for the 970 thing.

It better be a simply software fix but if its something wrong with Lollipop, good luck. Google seems content in never fixing shit for their OS (their track record speaks for itself). Samsung might add more RAM usage with what they add, but no Android OEM touches the core of Android, so if this is something that starts from Lollipop 5/5.x...oh boy. Not looking good at all. 

I will say that Apple should now give 2GBs but its pretty damn amazing that they've given us a 1GB phone that still performs with the best of them. That speaks to how well iOS uses RAM and resources in general. I applaud that kind of approach over the "lets just give everything big guns and call it a day and hope it works out" 

Unless it did the OT is just sensationalizing the issue to make android phones look bad.

Its a recent product , every product no matter the company has its growing pains.

OP was saying that the first gen apple products had some issues a couples of days ago , but wont tolerate the samsung products to have issues with their recent products.

Android is notoriously shitty with RAM management. This isn't a "new" thing. Its a eternal thing. Apple somehow manages to give 1GB to their flagship and it still performs with the best of them. That says a lot about how well optimized they are vs. the Androids. 

Stop trying to put words in my mouth and sensationalize this. This isn't "making Android phones look bad". This is just a fact. They are experiencing poor memory usage. Them looking bad comes all on its own. 

I am not saying that apple is better, I am saying that more isn't better specially with RAM in mobile phones, since we can see that bad software with 3GB is worse than 1GB with good software

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

It better be a simply software fix but if its something wrong with Lollipop, good luck. Google seems content in never fixing shit for their OS (their track record speaks for itself). Samsung might add more RAM usage with what they add, but no Android OEM touches the core of Android, so if this is something that starts from Lollipop 5/5.x...oh boy. Not looking good at all. 

They DID fix the 4.2 trim issue pretty quickly though, if it is a major flaw I'm pretty sure they'll be at it pretty fast. They don't really want a bad reputation for their OS when microsoft is ready to roll out windows 10 and phones are actually ready to run it, being less efficient than it at launch would be a big blow for them. Who would want android when you could have windows levels of application compatibility for no downsides?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They DID fix the 4.2 trim issue pretty quickly though, if it is a major flaw I'm pretty sure they'll be at it pretty fast. They don't really want a bad reputation for their OS when microsoft is ready to roll out windows 10 and phones are actually ready to run it, being less efficient than it at launch would be a big blow for them. Who would want android when you could have windows levels of application compatibility for no downsides?

What you say is logical, but at the same time Google has shown amazing lack of fucks when it come to pushing out critical updates, instead pulling the "OEM problem, not ours". I hope this really isn't one of them, that they take a look at it and fix it. 

A 3GB/4GB phone SHOULD NOT be running into these issues. This is the equivalent of someone with 32GB of RAM on their desktop running out. What? How? That shouldn't remotely happen. 

Windows 10 is a weird little thing. In a good way. MS is pushing it across as many devices as possible (even ones running "low amounts of RAM") and it just goes to show how confident they are in their OS that it can work across such "limited" hardware. 

Haven't had this problem on stock Nexus 7 2013 so I kinda doubt it's all Lollipop.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

This isn't just a Samsung issue, it's the same RAM issue that all devices running 5.0 are susceptible to.

This isn't just a Samsung issue, it's the same RAM issue that all devices running 5.0 are susceptible to.

I've been reading up on this and it seems like it really is a Lollipop issue more than a device one, I'm gonna update the OP with some sources. 

At first I thought it was just the usual Samsung issue of their TouchWiz UI consuming far too much in terms of resources. But it could be an actual problem with Lollipop? I didn't experience this on the M8 when it still worked.

Lollipop has an issue with memory. I've got the Nexus 5, DAMN it sooo laggy, random restarts and what not. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I am not saying that apple is better, I am saying that more isn't better specially with RAM in mobile phones, since we can see that bad software with 3GB is worse than 1GB with good software

Not saying you are lying but do you have any proof to back up those claims.

Wondering if that's affecting any other flagships from this year or just the S6.

Not saying you are lying but do you have any proof to back up those claims.

I mean look at the recent post, S6 3GB has issues with multi tasking or keeping apps in background, iPhone 6, I have one myself, handles it like a charm

No issues on an M8 here with Lollisense.

Seems like hit or miss bug.

Edit: well hello there apple fanboys.

Android is notoriously shitty with RAM management. This isn't a "new" thing. Its a eternal thing. Apple somehow manages to give 1GB to their flagship and it still performs with the best of them. That says a lot about how well optimized they are vs. the Androids. 

Stop trying to put words in my mouth and sensationalize this. This isn't "making Android phones look bad". This is just a fact. They are experiencing poor memory usage. Them looking bad comes all on its own. 

The Ram management problem was not this. This is probably Samsung or Lolipop being overly aggressive. 

and its been like this for years (Ram issues, tho not like this). which is why Android phones have more ram in the first place..

Also Apple can optimise that well cause they control almost everything hardware wise. it's like Windows vs Mac (another can of worms)

Also i have to agree and say the post is a bit sensationalist. it's just an impression thing. also the fact you had that title and only did more reading only now? Doesnl;t help your case but meh.

Sounds like Samsung modified the kernel to kill apps quicker, I'd wager its a deliberate act and not a bug.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Also i have to agree and say the post is a bit sensationalist. it's just an impression thing. also the fact you had that title and only did more reading only now? Doesnl;t help your case but meh.

I didn't make that title. The source did. I'm not responsible for the sensationalist titles of my source articles. 

I did more reading on my own, updated thing accordingly. Something the source hasn't done. so really, I'm a better reporter than the source because I'm updating as more information is being made available. 

I don't think google is exactly at fault, rather the users for not bringing it to light earlier. If Google also allowed beta testers, this issue wouldn't be out for 6 months.