Need Urgent Help please. Cannot open any .exe files

Go to solution Solved by Samfisher,

Hey everyone. I really need your help.

I was creating a link source and accidently told windows to open all .exe files in 7-zip.

Now i can not open any .exe files.

I checked the extensions that 7-zip can open and .exe was not on the list. So I uninstalled 7-zip thinking that would fix the issue.

It hasn't and I am now in limbo.

I can not do anything, I can not access the explorer, open command prompt or the regestry normally.

I can only open the command prompt via the task manager and thus access the regestry, and I did what is said on the microsoft support site and it still will not open exe files.

TL;DR?

I changed the program to open the exe file extension and can not change it back or open the file extension at all.

Please help!!

Here you go.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

Download the .reg file for .exe and Merge it as the thread says.  

Alternatively you can try this as well.  It opens up as .msi so it's a workaround to install the fix.

I was creating a link source and accidently told windows to open all .exe files in 7-zip.

I checked the extensions that 7-zip can open and .exe was not on the list. So I uninstalled 7-zip thinking that would fix the issue.

I can not do anything, I can not access the explorer, open command prompt or the regestry normally.

I can only open the command prompt via the task manager and thus access the regestry, and I did what is said on the microsoft support site and it still will not open exe files.

TL;DR?

I changed the program to open the exe file extension and can not change it back or open the file extension at all.

Please help!!

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

TL;DR?

Please help!!

Here you go.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

Alternatively you can try this as well.  It opens up as .msi so it's a workaround to install the fix.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Here you go.

I found that before you posted. And it works. Thanks.

I can now open .exe files, but now all my programs look like this? All 7-zip icons.

EWAlG2j.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

I found that before you posted. And it works. Thanks.

I can now open .exe files, but now all my programs look like this? All 7-zip icons.

EWAlG2j.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. 

Another fix :)

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/default-programs-editor-change-file-type-icon-windows-7-vista/

Thank you, you are a life saver. I honestly thought I had gone and messed my computer up and would have to re-install the os.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Thank you, you are a life saver. I honestly thought I had gone and messed my computer up and would have to re-install the os.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

You're welcome :) Many people just say go Google, but it really helps to know the specific terms to search on Google, and I did so you benefited from the Google-fu :P

You're welcome :) Many people just say go Google, but it really helps to know the specific terms to search on Google, and I did so you benefited from the Google-fu :P

I was typing into google for help, but I must not have been explaining it properly in the search terms.

That's why i like this forum, you can type as much as you need to get your point across.

Edit: 600th Post, woooo!

Ryze of the Phoenix: