Best Buy will accept Apple Pay despite allegiance to CurrentC and MCX

Victorious Secret

MasterCard-Apple-Pay-ads-001.jpg

The retailer disabled NFC in November, but now it’s embracing Apple Pay completely.

Ding dong, the anti-NFC witch is slowly dying a wonderful death. CurrentC and MCX were, how do I put this, a bundle of sticks in so far as limiting consumer choice and blocking NFC payments for both Apple and Google customers. 

Not cool. Not when Google barely attempted to push NFC (without being strung up with carriers) and not when Apple was giving it a serious push and almost shoving it down their consumers throats. NFC payments are a good thing, so damn CurrentC for coming up with a convoluted and locked down system all in the name of gaining customer data and not offering much else. 

During Apple’s Q2 financial call today, the company mentioned that big-box retailer Best Buy would be supporting Apple Pay in stores later this year, and Best Buy will allow customers to make purchases within the company app using Apple Pay starting today. The news is notable because of Best Buy’s alliance with MCX, or the Merchant Customer Exchange, a retailer’s association that wants to start its own mobile payments platform called CurrentC.

MCX and CurrentC made headlines in November, just after Apple Pay launched, when many MCX members—including Best Buy, 7-11, and CVS—disabled some Near Field Communications (NFC) devices that would allow Apple Pay to work at the chains’ registers. Instead, MCX companies said they would be adopting a more “consumer friendly” option called CurrentC, which would work using QR codes. The most apparent reason for companies to adopt CurrentC seemed to be that it would only work with debit cards—ideally replacing some customers' credit transactions, which require the retailer to pay a transaction fee to the bank, with debit transactions. CurrentC is set to launch sometime this year.

Now Best Buy is saying that it will break ranks with big retailers who have stood in solidarity with MCX, but it still remains committed to working with MCX. "Today’s consumers have many different ways to spend their money and we want to give our customers as many options as possible in how they pay for goods and services at Best Buy,” the company said in a statement.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/04/27/best-buy-will-accept-apple-pay-despite-allegiance-to-currentc-and-mcx/

I still prefer to use cash but NFC is great if it's done right like Japan does it. It's being adapted here in UAE but isn't that widespread as I have only seen it in public transit and taxis, I just like how easy it's to pay with NFC.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

With all the BS going on today with phone security and privacy rights, I'll stick to cash for the majority of my transactions.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't acknowledge low effort posts made in Tech News, no one should. Cause thats nasty. 

fa874cceb788d7ec6e74959ed1688fc7.320x204

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Never yet used my debit card for an in store purchase, I only use cash. NFC payments are a gimick to me for now. 

The text is unreadable on the night theme.

If you highlight the text it becomes readable.  Not ideal, I know, but it works.

The text is unreadable on the night theme.

-snip-

There is an interim solution here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193630-complete-list-of-forum-addons-scripts-apps-etc/

The actual text color is still up to the OP to adjust (if possible), but the "dark theme fixer" will do the job on your end.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

There is an interim solution here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193630-complete-list-of-forum-addons-scripts-apps-etc/

The actual text color is still up to the OP to adjust (if possible), but the "dark theme fixer" will do the job on your end.

Short of rewriting all the source text, there is nothing I can do as its a source problem. I'm also not using Chrome which has "paste as plain text" because Chrome is a disgraceful browser that has wasted enough of my RAM and battery.