Have some questions about Plex media server!

kiicki

So I have been using Plex for a day know and it works great! But I have some questions about it.

1. Can I select what movie I want to watch from my PC so it starts on my TV? Now I have to use my TV to browse my movies. I want to be able to be on my PC and stream the movie to my TV.

2. When I have remote access on my Plex, can anyone browse my library? I really don't want that, or do they need a password or something?

3. If I add a friend on my Plex and he's watching my library from his home, will that effect my internet speed? Is it like I'm streaming the movie to him?

4. Can I watch movies on my iPad using Plex?

5. Can I use my iPad as a remote so if I select a movie on my iPad, will it be streamed to my TV? It's like the first question, only using the iPad and not PC.
I wan't to avoid using my TV remote to browse movies and things, since the TV setup isn't really that good. much better to use your PC or iPad to select what to stream on your TV.

1. Can I select what movie I want to watch from my PC so it starts on my TV? Now I have to use my TV to browse my movies. I want to be able to be on my PC and stream the movie to my TV. You can use Chromecast to cast it, or if you have a smart TV some of them have the Plex App Available. You can also use the Plex App with Roku/Amazon Fire TV Stick, Etc

2. When I have remote access on my Plex, can anyone browse my library? I really don't want that, or do they need a password or something? No - You set up who you want to have access to your library by sharing it with them. They will need to make an account to access it. 

3. If I add a friend on my Plex and he's watching my library from his home, will that effect my internet speed? Is it like I'm streaming the movie to him? It's exactly like streaming a movie to him, although I haven't noticed any huge impact on my internet connection while streaming 2+ movies to friends/family.

4. Can I watch movies on my iPad using Plex? Yes there's a Plex App.

5. Can I use my iPad as a remote so if I select a movie on my iPad, will it be streamed to my TV? It's like the first question, only using the iPad and not PC.
I wan't to avoid using my TV remote to browse movies and things, since the TV setup isn't really that good. much better to use your PC or iPad to select what to stream on your TV. I don't believe so, only thing that would be sorta like that would be Chromecasting it from the Plex App on your Ipad to your TV w/ Chromecast

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

1. Once you have selected what you want to watch and it starts playing, Click the cast Icon in the top right, which can cast to your Chromecast, Roku, Smart TV or any other Cast compatible device

ccbbbbc1c0.png

2. You choose who can browse your library, if you haven't shared it with them then they can't browse it.

3. It will only affect your upload speed for other applications, but not by a huge amount. It will not affect your download speed (only by a negligible amount)

4. Yes just download the Plex app on your Tablet and log in with your Plex account https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

5. Yes, once you have cast what you are watching to your TV, you can use your tablet with the Plex app as a remote.

select_chromecast.png

1. Can I select what movie I want to watch from my PC so it starts on my TV? Now I have to use my TV to browse my movies. I want to be able to be on my PC and stream the movie to my TV. You can use Chromecast to cast it, or if you have a smart TV some of them have the Plex App Available. You can also use the Plex App with Roku/Amazon Fire TV Stick, Etc

2. When I have remote access on my Plex, can anyone browse my library? I really don't want that, or do they need a password or something? No - You set up who you want to have access to your library by sharing it with them. They will need to make an account to access it. 

3. If I add a friend on my Plex and he's watching my library from his home, will that effect my internet speed? Is it like I'm streaming the movie to him? It's exactly like streaming a movie to him, although I haven't noticed any huge impact on my internet connection while streaming 2+ movies to friends/family.

4. Can I watch movies on my iPad using Plex? Yes there's a Plex App.

I wan't to avoid using my TV remote to browse movies and things, since the TV setup isn't really that good. much better to use your PC or iPad to select what to stream on your TV. I don't believe so, only thing that would be sorta like that would be Chromecasting it from the Plex App on your Ipad to your TV w/ Chromecast

Thanks, i'm wondering about something else too. If I'm on a trip from home and don't have my PC with the movies on me. 

Can I use another computer to see my content? I tried to log in to my plex from home, but that would also log me out from home. 

How can I watch my content from home without making another account and make a friend request to myself?

Thanks, i'm wondering about something else too. If I'm on a trip from home and don't have my PC with the movies on me. 

Can I use another computer to see my content? I tried to log in to my plex from home, but that would also log me out from home. 

How can I watch my content from home without making another account and make a friend request to myself?

You should be able to use the same account. The server does not need to be logged in to be used. Log in via plex.tv - not your IP address, and see if thatw orks., 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200