Need help with what to do with radiator on H100i

Hello again, to the enigmatic members of the forums who find their way to this post!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bDGp4DSo this is the build I have settled on, decided to lift my budget a little for the i7 and a Blue Snowball microphone with a stand and pop filter. 

Anyway my conundrum here today is where to position each of the fans, I was thinking (2 x SP 140's on the front as intakes, 1 x AF 140 at the back as an exhaust and now this is the tricky part, should I pull air into the case with a top mounted H100i or vent it out? Should the fans be above or below the radiator? I have no idea what to do! 

Also a completely off topic question, should the PSU be fan side down, or fan side up?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this probable and most likely super idiotic question!

Hello again, to the enigmatic members of the forums who find their way to this post!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bDGp4DSo this is the build I have settled on, decided to lift my budget a little for the i7 and a Blue Snowball microphone with a stand and pop filter. 

Anyway my conundrum here today is where to position each of the fans, I was thinking (2 x SP 140's on the front as intakes, 1 x AF 140 at the back as an exhaust and now this is the tricky part, should I pull air into the case with a top mounted H100i or vent it out? Should the fans be above or below the radiator? I have no idea what to do! 

Also a completely off topic question, should the PSU be fan side down, or fan side up?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this probable and most likely super idiotic question!

I have an h100i, I have 1 front 140mm fan, 1 rear 120mm fan as exhaust and I exhaust through the h100i with 2 sp 120 quiets - my CPU (none overclocked 4770k) rarely goes over 45-50 degrees

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Please don't get the H100i, go for the H105 or H100i-GTX as the H100i has had issues with leaking (I had my H100i spill on my Z87 build). With the R5, I'd put the Radiator in the top and as for airflow, I'd put 2x Front Intake, 1x back Exhaust and 2x Top Exhaust - that way the hot air isn't blowing down into your case and on to your CPU block & GPU. 

As for your PSU, Fan can be placed either way, but if you are using it on a carpet you need to put fan side up - either way it doesn't make much of a difference, its preference ( I put mine up to avoid seeing the Modular Cable information sticker).

Here are my temps with my fans set up like I recommended you to do (in my Corsair 750D, You've got a similar enough build to me).  :)

PHNkYHo.png

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I have an h100i, I have 1 front 140mm fan, 1 rear 120mm fan as exhaust and I exhaust through the h100i with 2 sp 120 quiets - my CPU (none overclocked 4770k) rarely goes over 45-50 degrees

Thanks for the input. I plan to over-clock the CPU to around 4.4 Ghz, it should be pretty stable there depending on luck of the draw! Also plan to bring the GPU up to around 1500 Mhz its again meant to be pretty stable there, so I need these fans to cool optimally!

Thanks for the input. I plan to over-clock the CPU to around 4.4 Ghz, it should be pretty stable there depending on luck of the draw! Also plan to bring the GPU up to around 1500 Mhz its again meant to be pretty stable there, so I need these fans to cool optimally!

should be fine :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Please don't get the H100i, go for the H105 or H100i-GTX as the H100i has had issues with leaking (I had my H100i spill on my Z87 build). With the R5, I'd put the Radiator in the top and as for airflow, I'd put 2x Front Intake, 1x back Exhaust and 2x Top Exhaust - that way the hot air isn't blowing down into your case and on to your CPU block & GPU. 

As for your PSU, Fan can be placed either way, but if you are using it on a carpet you need to put fan side up - either way it doesn't make much of a difference, its preference ( I put mine up to avoid seeing the Modular Cable information sticker).

Here are my temps with my fans set up like I recommended you to do (in my Corsair 750D, You've got a similar enough build to me).  :)

PHNkYHo.png

Thank you very much will change that now!  Another random question I will pose to you is, how do I control the fans in the case, as in to run very slowly at idle and then ramp up under load if they need to? Do I need to buy a corsair link module? Because id rather save as much money as I can, being a college student xD

Thank you very much will change that now!  Another random question I will pose to you is, how do I control the fans in the case, as in to run very slowly at idle and then ramp up under load if they need to? Do I need to buy a corsair link module? Because id rather save as much money as I can, being a college student xD

With my Asus Motherboard I got Asus's "AI SUITE 3" which allows me to switch on-the-fly between 4 presets (25% 50% 75% 100%) with a little popup on my desktop, You also have full access to set Fan curves in the BIOS and through AI Suite, Corsair Link not required (though I do use Corsair Link's software to monitor my temps :P). I know how you feel, I'm only 17 - every dollar counts :)

should be fine :)

Thank you! Oh btw, should I have my fans on top of the radiator (i.e. touching the case) or under it (i.e. close to the Mobo)?

Thank you! Oh btw, should I have my fans on top of the radiator (i.e. touching the case) or under it (i.e. close to the Mobo)?

if you are exhausting with SP fans I would have them under the rads (ie mobo side) and push the air through the rad and out of the case (also so you can see the pretty fans)

With my Asus Motherboard I got Asus's "AI SUITE 3" which allows me to switch on-the-fly between 4 presets (25% 50% 75% 100%) with a little popup on my desktop, You also have full access to set Fan curves in the BIOS and through AI Suite. 

Thank god! I was worried I would have to but some sort of fan controller or module xD Seems to me like I will be on the Master-race system come the end of summer! Any tips on getting used to a keyboard and mouse after being an avid Playstation user for as long back as I can remember?

if you are exhausting with SP fans I would have them under the rads (ie mobo side) and push the air through the rad and out of the case (also so you can see the pretty fans)

"oooo pwetty!" hahaha! Okay thanks! How does that work? It pushes heat onto the Rad which then dissipates it out through the top of the case? 

Thank god! I was worried I would have to but some sort of fan controller or module xD Seems to me like I will be on the Master-race system come the end of summer! Any tips on getting used to a keyboard and mouse after being an avid Playstation user for as long back as I can remember?

I'm a PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PC person myself, But countless essays have made me good enough with a keyboard. I also spent a lot of my middle school years playing games on my Macbook. Heck I almost bought a Wireless Trackpad & Apple keyboard for my gaming setup -- Don't worry, I didn't in the end. Find something comfortable and good for you, personally RGB is a waste and I find slightly more recessed keys best. I also don't mind rubber dome but plan to upgrade to MX Browns come the time I find some cash, I'm going for custom sleeving and 2 more SSDs next.

"oooo pwetty!" hahaha! Okay thanks! How does that work? It pushes heat onto the Rad which then dissipates it out through the top of the case? 

static pressure fans are designed to blow air through fins - heat rises also

I'm a PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PC person myself, But countless essays have made me good enough with a keyboard. I also spent a lot of my middle school years playing games on my Macbook. Heck I almost bought a Wireless Trackpad & Apple keyboard for my gaming setup -- Don't worry, I didn't in the end. Find something comfortable and good for you, personally RGB is a waste and I find slightly more recessed keys best, I also don't mind rubber dome but plan to upgrade to MX Browns come the time I find some cash, I'm going for custom sleeving and 2 more SSDs next.

Sounds like we're in the same boat xD That build is going to be beast, no worries about storage!

^ THIS, SP Fans are for Radiators, AF Fans are for Intakes/exhausts. (Also why top fans should be exhaust due to thermal physics).

Sounds like its pretty worked out so! I think ill spend the extra 7 euro and get the window, see all dem lights, and maybe an LED strip or two!  ;)

Sounds like its pretty worked out so! I think ill spend the extra 7 euro and get the window, see all dem lights, and maybe an LED strip or two!  ;)

yus windows ftw i got 2 akasa led strips work fine in my case :) just got white ones

yus windows ftw i got 2 akasa led strips work fine in my case :) just got white ones

As Christian Bale one said, "Do they come in black? I. I MEAN BLUE, do the come in blue?" xD

As Christian Bale one said, "Do they come in black? I. I MEAN BLUE, do the come in blue?" xD

i love black leds :P

sure they come in any colour batman

^ THIS, SP Fans are for Radiators, AF Fans are for Intakes/exhausts. (Also why top fans should be exhaust due to thermal physics).

Would this build run pretty quiet?

Would this build run pretty quiet?

Mine does - and I run all Corsair AF/SP ;)