Build A New System or Keep the one i have !?

I have come to a cross roads with building a new system or keeping my old one, I know everyone will probably sat build the new one . But my old system truly kicks balls. It is

Old System

Intel core i7 960 3.20GHZ

24 gb ram

NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD

1tb SSD

The New System

Intel i7-4790K 4GHZ

32 gb ram

NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Gigabyte Black Edition z97-UD5H-BK

1tb SSD

So Should I make the switch or keep what I have

post-224184-0-86915000-1430228848_thumb.

new gpu thats it.

wow... pretty empty here...

The 960 is still OK the 550ti is not

I would say reuse ram and get a 4690k +290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Tbh I'd just update the graphics card and wait to see how good the new Intel chips are. I went from a i7 920@ 4ghz to a 4790k @ 4.5ghz and the improvement wasn't too impressive and there was no noticeable difference in games.

Upgrade gpu and you should be fine.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Tbh I'd just update the graphics card and wait to see how good the new Intel chips are. I went from a i7 920@ 4ghz to a 4790k @ 4.5ghz and the improvement wasn't too impressive and there was no noticeable difference in games.

^ THIS

Swap out for a newer Graphics card, if you are still feeling like you need more after this, then go for a new CPU/Motherboard too :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Like others are saying, upgrade the GPU. You could always take that GPU with when you upgrade everything else. If you start notice really low performance, or games not running well on the old CPU, then it would be a good time to upgrade. Just try to get the best GPU that you can afford.

thanks Guys now the big question is what GPU to get

What's your budget?

Well if you had the funding for a new build....I would assume you have a decent amount for a GPU alone...

So a R9 290, 290x or GTX 970, 980 or wait for the R9 300 series...and see what's Nvida's respond is..

You originally didn't have any budget allocated for the GPU, so if you only upgrade the GPU, what is your budget? Once you get above the $150 USD mark, most GPUs have a similar/comparable performance for the price. So an AMD and Nvidia GPU at the $200 price mark would perform similarly. It is also best to see benchmarks for the games you play to see which GPU has the upper hand. 

You originally didn't have any budget allocated for the GPU, so if you only upgrade the GPU, what is your budget? Once you get above the $150 USD mark, most GPUs have a similar/comparable performance for the price. So an AMD and Nvidia GPU at the $200 price mark would perform similarly. It is also best to see benchmarks for the games you play to see which GPU has the upper hand. 

I don't have a budget for the GPU but I was thinking about spending around 250/350 US

wait till Skylake and Pirates Island come out. that will make your decision more solid.

I think the bigger quest for me is will I be gaining performance or losing it. I’m losing 2 cores but gaining a faster CPU. As for the GPU I can just get a new one …….

new gpu thats it.

This, in my opinion.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

One more thing to add "I don't not us this system for gamming"

One more thing to add "I don't not us this system for gamming"

What is this computer used for, and what are you planning on using it for in the future?

What is this computer used for, and what are you planning on using it for in the future?

I own a remote management company. And I know, I know, I should know this for myself ... but I thought I would ask.  typically I have 50 / 100 RDP sessions going at one time + consoles and SSH session and other crap .