Paid Mod Complaints Have Cost Valve $1 Million

Artorias

Ever wondered what happens when you spark outrage in almost the entire PC gaming community? There’s no need to wonder, it’s happening right now and our lord GabeN is working hard to brave the unrelenting storm that is raging over at Valve HQ right now.

With paid-for mods now being available in the Steam Workshop, an optional service that can be utilized by developers to sell their wares, users have been taking the fight right to Valve and Gabe himself to complain about the new system. However, Gabe has been quick to respond to many claims, even going as far as telling people “You need a more robust Valve-is-evil hypothesis.”

“Let’s assume for a second that we are stupidly greedy,” Newell said. “So far the paid mods have generated $10K total. That’s like 1 per cent of the cost of the incremental email the program has generated for Valve employees (yes, I mean pissing off the Internet costs you a million bucks in just a couple of days). That’s not stupidly greedy, that’s stupidly stupid.”

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/paid-mod-complaints-have-cost-valve-1-million/

Comment: *Will add later*

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Well damn, guess they deserve it for the greedy ass move they made.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

nelson-muntz-haw-haw.png

I can only hope they lost that or more.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yeah it may have cost Valve $1million, But they raised $10million in the two days alone from paid mods. Now they know HOW much they can make, dont be fooled into thinking they wont keep this idea going.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I worry that the whole thing was Bethesda's idea, and the outcome would decide if Elder Scrolls 6 would get modding tools or not.

If there is no creation kit/ construction set for Elder Scrolls going forward... I'd get very pissed.

Hope Valve still puts in a tip jar for modders, and take much MUCH less margin.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yeah it may have cost Valve $1million, But they raised $10million in the two days alone from paid mods. Now they know HOW much they can make, dont be fooled into thinking they wont keep this idea going.

Read the whole quote at least, not just the title. Gaben was quoted as saying "So far the paid mods have generated $10K total."

Dam, I would have never guess it would cost them that much to deal with the outrage.

IMO quite a ridiculous statement. The decision to monetize mods and only leave 25% to the mod creator was a greedy decision. When they realize afterwards that they actually lose money, well you cant change your intent after-the-fact. That's just trying to look better after failing badly.

Potato

Eh... $10 million is too far fetched. Its actually only $10K

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Its actually about ethics in mod making!

/tongue-in-cheek don't flame me bro

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Meh, valve can afford to lose a million here and there, LOL

IMO quite a ridiculous statement. The decision to monetize mods and only leave 25% to the mod creator was a greedy decision. When they realize afterwards that they actually lose money, well you cant change your intent after-the-fact. That's just trying to look better after failing badly.

Not really a greedy decision. What happened was valve took their usual cut of 30% for stuff sold on steam. And Bethesda took a 45% cut which is understandable since it's their game. That left the mod creator with only 25% which is a problem. But it doesn't look like anybody was being greedier than normal.

I said yesterday I though Bethesda and Valve should both compromise in future. E.g. Valve 20%, Bethesda 30%, mod creator 50%. But it's a moot point now since the whole thing was canned.

Do you have a source for this $10 Million figure? As others have mentioned, the article states $10,000 ($10K).

Read the whole quote at least, not just the title. Gaben was quoted as saying "So far the paid mods have generated $10K total."

This^

To be fair, the fact that it costs Valve $1 Million to deal with all the emails, likely just goes to show how shitty of a Customer Service system they have. Especially if those emails are all getting routed to Coders and Graphic Designers and otherwise people who probably get paid $100K+ per year. These emails should be getting filtered by a properly trained and equipped 1st Level Support team, and they should get paid significantly less (Somewhere around $30K-35K would be a good place to start).

This is a failure on Valve and Bethesda in multiple proportions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

75% for doing absolutely nothing, is stupidly greedy. End of story.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Meh, valve can afford to lose a million here and there, LOL

Not really a greedy decision. What happened was valve took their usual cut of 30% for stuff sold on steam. And Bethesda took a 45% cut which is understandable since it's their game. That left the mod creator with only 25% which is a problem. But it doesn't look like anybody was being greedier than normal.

I said yesterday I though Bethesda and Valve should both compromise in future. E.g. Valve 20%, Bethesda 30%, mod creator 50%. But it's a moot point now since the whole thing was canned.

No, this make far to much sense. Stop making sense and thinking about things.

Instead demand a "donate" button with all contributions going to the Mod maker, there are no legal issues with this what so ever and I'm sure Bethesda will be more than happy.

Though I agree there are some issues about the whole "paid mod" idea, I for one, can honestly believe that the team at valve were very much so thinking about modders being able to make money from the stuff they create to support bigger and better mods. A massive amount of the team came to valve because of mods they created and I could easily see how that group of people would think it would be awesome for modders to support themselves with the work they do. Thought pricing may be off as you pointed out it doesnt seem much more than standard Valve cut + whatever Bethesda wanted. 

But no, lets all decide that Steam is a money mongering whore who does nothing but try to screw its community. Valve is easilly still the best platform for games we have (GoG aside) and honestly they are only as  "greedy" as any "for profit" company is (if not less, I for one have personally saved literally thousands of dollars through Steam).

I dont have issues with the arguments against paid mods in general but the extremely childish pure shit-throwing outrage from the community was absurd. 

(Don't worry, I'm sure im just a brain washed sheeple)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

So funny that people are still defending them and saying lord Gaben is saving us after THEY are the ones who did this in the first place.

This is pathetic lmao!

They didn't do anything wrong!!! They wanted to help mod devs in a way and well people didn't want it so they removed it.

They didn't do anything wrong!!! They wanted to help mod devs in a way and well people didn't want it so they removed it.

The way they implemented it wasnt exactly the best, but for the most part I agree. For some reason the community has decided that Valve has gone out of there way to screw modders and get themselves as much bad press as they can. 

They also listened to the community and shut it down, regardless of the fact that honestly they didnt have to. The loud minority were being rowdy about it but during the time the debackle was going down steam was still at 9.5m+ active users and as much as they bitch 99 percent of the users would have stayed on steam regardless. Valve listened to its user base and admitted its poor implementation, but then the masses just cry out "cover up" and "back-peddling" as if listening to feedback is a negative thing.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Well damn, guess they deserve it for the greedy ass move they made.

ITs there company, they do whatever they want. They dont have to care about the customer  AT ALL.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

ITs there company, they do whatever they want. They dont have to care about the customer  AT ALL.

No? They don't care? So that is why they removed it? Everyone complained so I am pretty sure they listened... lol.

No? They don't care? So that is why they removed it? Everyone complained so I am pretty sure they listened... lol.

Im not saying that, Im saying valve can do basically what they want with there company. They could even shut down steam and remove every-bodies games,,,,

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Pointless argument. Any sensible company cares about what the fan base thinks. It's important both for their long term profit sustainability as well as their individual job satisfaction.

Im not saying that, Im saying valve can do basically what they want with there company. They could even shut down steam and remove every-bodies games,,,,

4sa1Ln6.jpg

There is no legal way they can just remove everyone games. even if we just pay for the license to access the game we still paid tender for it and we still own it. 

Oh, I see.  But they can't nor would do that though, stop steam.