ULTIMATE Distributed Computing Build Log

Downloaded and am currently folding for LinusTechTips_Team!

keep an eye on temps when you first start, folding is hard work on your components.

keep an eye on temps when you first start, folding is hard work on your components.

I did but thanks for the tip anyways. Looks good so far. CPU is low 50s and GPU gets into the 80s

4670k w/212 evo

XFX r9 290 reference

Maybe if we could get access to 4 Titan Xs :P

I know that you guys have 4 Titan Z's

Because he had a hard drive.

I know that you guys have 4 Titan Z's

We have 5 Titan Blacks :P no Titan Zs, one Titan X.

I get the concept, but i dont understand the sofware part, how do you send tasks to this computer?

You don't. You just install the thing, and it requests and reports tasks automatically for you. Kinda like a game, once you properly install it and customize your graphics, you don't ever need to worry about it downloading and uploading info in multiplayer. You just let it do it's job...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I have to admit I agree with @msvelev , @Imakuni , @Me1z , @ninadpchaudhari and @d3sl91 here :(

The build just isn't an "Ultimate Distributed Computing" build, it's more of a mish-mash of components thrown together because you were sponsored with them. That's not to say it doesn't perform extremely well in F@H and BOINC, because it will. (IIRC it will give upwards of 725,000PPD once you have a passkey and everything's working to it's full potential)

I have to admit I was a bit confused, since a Titan X's PPD/$ ratio is nowhere near 3x 970s or 2x 980s, and even still, you can buy an Asrock H81 Pro BTC Mobo and load it up with PCI-E risers to have 6x GPUs all folding at once, (which if you used 970s, would give around 1,800,000 PPD)

My "Ultimate distributed computing build" would have been something like (People could argue for or against me using 970s instead of 290s, but then you'd need a second power supply because of the power consumption)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£22.53 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£47.74 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  (£258.99 @ Dabs)
Total: £1965.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-29 00:13 BST+0100
(+ Risers of course)

From memory, this either costs the same amount as the one in the build guide, or is slightly cheaper, but I might be wrong, (with currency conversions and me being awake at midnight writing this)

Apologies for any mistakes I will inevitably have made in this post, (and for the post being awful in general) but I'll correct them after school tomorrow  

EDIT: @blakslee720 Welcome to the team! Enjoy your stay :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

If people have specific questions about Folding or BOINC including what/how/where/when/why - head over to the Folding section of the forum. We don't bite over there... honest! :)

The Folding/Boinc Section

Folding FAQ

Folding Install and Links

BOINC FAQ and Guide

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I have to admit I agree with @msvelev , @Imakuni , @Me1z , @ninadpchaudhari and @d3sl91 here :(

The build just isn't an "Ultimate Distributed Computing" build, it's more of a mish-mash of components thrown together because you were sponsored with them. That's not to say it doesn't perform extremely well in F@H and BOINC, because it will. (IIRC it will give upwards of 725,000PPD once you have a passkey and everything's working to it's full potential)

I have to admit I was a bit confused, since a Titan X's PPD/$ ratio is nowhere near 3x 970s or 2x 980s, and even still, you can buy an Asrock H81 Pro BTC Mobo and load it up with PCI-E risers to have 6x GPUs all folding at once, (which if you used 970s, would give around 1,800,000 PPD)

My "Ultimate distributed computing build" would have been something like (People could argue for or against me using 970s instead of 290s, but then you'd need a second power supply because of the power consumption)

(+ Risers of course)

From memory, this either costs the same amount as the one in the build guide, or is slightly cheaper, but I might be wrong, (with currency conversions and me being awake at midnight writing this)

Apologies for any mistakes I will inevitably have made in this post, (and for the post being awful in general) but I'll correct them after school tomorrow  

Unfortunately, that motherboard is a no-go for F@H. High end GPUs like the GTX 970's need a minimum of PCIe 3.0 X8 to avoid being bottle-necked. The reason I know is because I tried that very same setup and my 970 was choked down to 85K PPD max. The most that motherboard can support is six GTX 750TIs. As for your choice of GTX 970s over R9 290Xs, it really comes down to preference and what you get out of folding. The 970 supports newer projects worth more to the scientific community, but these new projects are BARELY supported with current drivers and PPD/w is sacrificed as a result. The 290X on the other hand is more efficient and has a much more stable output, but only because it has not yet been made to support the newer projects which are hurting the 970's numbers. In my eyes, its the choice between doing a half-assed job in the present or postponing a job until you know you you can do it properly. To each their own.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Unfortunately, that motherboard is a no-go for F@H. High end GPUs like the GTX 970's need a minimum of PCIe 3.0 X8 to avoid being bottle-necked. The reason I know is because I tried that very same setup and my 970 was choked down to 85K PPD max. The most that motherboard can support is six GTX 750TIs. As for your choice of GTX 970s over R9 290Xs, it really comes down to preference and what you get out of folding. The 970 supports newer projects worth more to the scientific community, but these new projects are BARELY supported with current drivers and PPD/w is sacrificed as a result. The 290X on the other hand is more efficient and has a much more stable output, but only because it has not yet been made to support the newer projects which are hurting the 970's numbers. In my eyes, its the choice between doing a half-assed job in the present or postponing a job until you know you you can do it properly. To each their own.

Sorry for going a little off topic here, but wouldn't that mean that the board is also a no-go in cryptocurrency mining as well? Or do the GPUs in folding work more with the CPU than in mining?

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Sorry for going a little off topic here, but wouldn't that mean that the board is also a no-go in cryptocurrency mining as well? Or do the GPUs in folding work more with the CPU than in mining?

You're dead on. With the older core 15 projects the GPU would work completely independent of the CPU, but with the newer core 17 and 18 units the GPU functions as a co-processor for the CPU. The constant communication requires a crazy amount of bandwidth. This is why you should leave one CPU core free per GPU in your system. For the same reason, the CPU you chose would be an issue. Intel has chosen to limit consumer level CPUs (LGA1150) to a max of 16 PCIe lanes, you would need an enthusiast level CPU (LGA 2011) to fully support more than 2 high end GPUs.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

You're dead on. With the older core 15 projects the GPU would work completely independent of the CPU, but with the newer core 17 and 18 units the GPU functions as a co-processor for the CPU. The constant communication requires a crazy amount of bandwidth. This is why you should leave one CPU core free per GPU in your system. For the same reason, the CPU you chose would be an issue. Intel has chosen to limit consumer level CPUs (LGA1150) to a max of 16 PCIe lanes, you would need an enthusiast level CPU (LGA 2011) to fully support more than 2 high end GPUs.

Ah ok, thanks! :)

I've seen a lot of complaints about the "ULTIMATE" naming and parts choices in this build log from earlier today, and I wanted to address those people a bit in this post.

I wanted to do a distributed computing thing because I like shining a light on that community, I had a badass case to work with, and I had a lot of great looking obscenely powerful hardware around me - but due to some time constraints I had to move pretty swiftly on this project and, even though I wasn't able to source exactly the right parts in time for this launch, I really wanted to call out all of the great work you guys do in both the LTT F@H and Boinc communities.

With these things I could have slumped back, made this exact same computer but taken out one of the GPU's and it could have been the "Demon Red Build Log" or some crap. It would have been cool but not special in any way. It would not have helped the distributed computing communities. No extra PPD would have been generated, no extra eyes to the distrib computing forum, just a bunch of views

Instead we got a TON more views on the distributed computing forum, I explained briefly what these projects are and showed people where to go for additional information, I created a computer that will contribute PPD to these projects, and I showed people that you can mix GPU's with folding and BOINC which is HONESTLY not all that documented and could help to generate a lot more PPD if people have last gen off brand GPU's laying around.

And honestly guys.. Did you not hear me state you could use virtually any processor? Did you not hear me call essentially every performance component overkill except the GPUs? I think energy would be better spent trying to guide people who are new to the community than just complaining about "oh, you didn't use 6x 970s..." Yes, that would have been badass! For sure! It also would NEVER have happened because no one is going to give me 6x 970s for this project...

TL:DR I think this project created a lot of good. Hopefully it made some people curious about F@H and Boinc, or even just distributed computing in general.

Well, I guess the 7 GPU machine would still be suitable for Boinc, seeing as there are many projects that don't require high transfer speeds....

# 7 PCIe  Risers with the 3x PCIe hub.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

(+ Risers of course)

I think you need a CPU core per GPU for optimal performance. I also don't know if that many GPUs would work fine together, why not the i3 with 2 290x and 2 980, so you can still get the best of both worlds?

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

I still really don't get this project outside of a very limited context.

For Linus and crew, it makes sense because they have access to vast resources and therefore can easily build such a rig. But what about everyone else?

If you're selling computing power for scientific research, then power consumption is going to be your main concern here. Buying dedicated servers would be a much better bet. The same goes for crypto currencies.

Rendering projects doesn't make sense here either, the way it's built is wrong.

It also doesn't make sense as a day-to-day computer, as you can simply build a normal build then stick on the folding stuff later.

So unless you have lots of money or parts to throw at this, why does this in any logical way make sense? It's not that it's overkill, just that there aren't people who this works for.

I would have had dual xeon plus as many gpus as possible. Its clear budget is not an issue. So dual xeon/multigpu workstation makes far more sense. It looks like a gaming pc too much is agreed.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Why not a dual-core Xeon, much better for this?

GPUs are much faster than CPUs for folding (and BOINC I think), so the budget would be better spent on the GPUs

In the case you're referring to "BigAdv" projects which were specifically for CPU only, they were retired on the 31st Jan 2015

I still really don't get this project outside of a very limited context.

For Linus and crew, it makes sense because they have access to vast resources and therefore can easily build such a rig. But what about everyone else?

If you're selling computing power for scientific research, then power consumption is going to be your main concern here. Buying dedicated servers would be a much better bet. The same goes for crypto currencies.

Rendering projects doesn't make sense here either, the way it's built is wrong.

It also doesn't make sense as a day-to-day computer, as you can simply build a normal build then stick on the folding stuff later.

So unless you have lots of money or parts to throw at this, why does this in any logical way make sense? It's not that it's overkill, just that there aren't people who this works for.

1. Buying dedicated servers is not a better bet. The hardware that you buy now can still be used for the next 10 years, and even more, with your only cost being the power bill. Buying computing power from someone else is better in the short term, as you don't have to invest in the hardware, but after some time, the profit you payed for the seller out weigths the cost of a purchase of your own.
  2. I agree that the build isn't optimal.
  3. To be honest, from the similarity with a gaming PC, I believe this was more of a "hey you gamers, how about you join FAH/Boinc with your rig?" video, rather than being an actual build suggestion for someone interested in build a PC dedicated exclusively for it.

1. Buying dedicated servers is not a better bet. The hardware that you buy now can still be used for the next 10 years, and even more, with your only cost being the power bill. Buying computing power from someone else is better in the short term, as you don't have to invest in the hardware, but after some time, the profit you payed for the seller out weigths the cost of a purchase of your own.
  2. I agree that the build isn't optimal.
  3. To be honest, from the similarity with a gaming PC, I believe this was more of a "hey you gamers, how about you join FAH/Boinc with your rig?" video, rather than being an actual build suggestion for someone interested in build a PC dedicated exclusively for it.

For #1, I meant that if you were selling, not buying.

Do we have any Information on the Folding on this machine.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.