ULTIMATE Distributed Computing Build Log

Folding@Home and Boinc are both great programs, and our forum has an amazing team for each... So we wanted to show off what we consider to be the ULTIMATE distributed computing PC!

I'm going to list out the components as well as provide a source or two for where you can get them   :)

I can't tell you where to buy this stuff, but I do lean towards NCIX for the Canadians (and International viewers if their pricing and shipping costs work out for you) because they're our bros, and for Americans, Brits, and a couple other regions, the Amazon links below are affiliate links, so of course every little bit helps   :)

CORE COMPONENTS

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Unlocked Eight Core Processor with HyperThreading

SSD: Kingston KC310 960GB x2

Motherboard: ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

Video Card 1: ASUS Matrix R9 290X

Video Card 2: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X

RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400mHz

Power Supply: NZXT Hale 90 v2 1200 Watt

Cooling Components

CPU Heatsink: NZXT Kraken X61

Haven't watched the video yet, but why didn't you go with a cheaper CPU and more GPUs. It'll give better PPD for the same price.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Dang this overkill do... still the case does not support the motherboard so getting all that expensive tech in there is not recommended.

I know that the build was sponsored and that you have to use the parts that were given to you. I get that. I understand that you guys don't have the flexibility to do whatever you want, as if you had the raw money from each part.........

...but this wasn't "Ultimate" AT ALL! From a Boinc/FAH builder's perspective, this was just like building a gaming PC with a 500$ case and 64gbs of RAM, but a 100$ GPU. Aka "garbage".

From the "points" perspective, a 4-way Gtx 970s / 290s would have offered MUCH more power, while costing around the same or less (dem titan....). Likewise, the 5960k is almost useless; the money would be better spent on GPUs. And that's not to mention the use of PCIe Risers, in order to allow 7-way GPU configs.

Ofc, you could argue that you are going for Boinc CPU oriented projects; in that case, you'd be better off with a muti PC farm, with a few i5s and some 300w Gold PSUs (TFX format, Seasonic) and a bunch of HDs.

While I DO appreciate the initiative a lot, I would not agree with the title. This is not a Folding/Boinc machine. This is just another gaming rig. You guys are free to build whatever you want, but it would be nice to, at the very least, say "don't buy any of these parts we're recommending, go to the forum and ask them for an actual rig instead".

(Sponsors gonna hate....)

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks for the folding team shoutout! I think its great to be able to donate a few watts and some CPU cycles to curing things like Alzheimers!

One caveat: The GPU choice was... eh. I'd have to go with @Imakuni on this one.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Obligatory -> watch your powerconsumption. You'll get a huge bill for running stuff like this 24/7.

So what's this different from any other gaming PC?

Difference is, instead of making an actual folding/Boinc rig, they grabbed a gaming PC and said "let's install the software and call it a day". Just like many stores sell PCs with an i7 CPU and no GPU, but still call it a "gaming PC", because people don't know what a gaming PC actually is.

As I said, this was a sponsored build, hence the non-optimal specs. Still, I thought that the LTT group had a bit more ballz and only released videos that are actually correct (at the time).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I completely agree with Imakuni. Building a dedicated folding computer is all about optimizing for maximum PPD per dollar. But this build is more of a fancy gaming computer that has both Nvidia and AMD cards. Building a milk crate folding computer with four (or more) 290 cards would have been something different and new compared to the multitude of gaming builds which we see all the time.

I'd love to know what kind of PPD this rig is able to achieve when configured properly. Something worth keeping in mind is that you should free up one CPU core/thread per GPU that you have actively folding. While I don't necessarily agree with some of the GPU choices, I'm glad Luke decided to use GPUs from both teams in this rig. Each side has their strengths and its worth having a mix, especially if you are donating to both BOINC and F@H. The only thing I would have done different is that I would have swapped the 5960X for a 5930K and stuck at least one R9 295x2 in there with the Titan X instead of the single R9 290x. Actual bandwidth requirements depends on the specific project you are donating to, but as long as you have enough PCIe lanes available, the first priority should be cramming as many GPUs in the build as possible even if it means sacrificing CPU core count.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I think the first video i disliked from the LinusMediaGroup,not that the build is bad....

but the build is supposed for distributed computing and this seems just a random overkill build ...

Its like when building a system for some purpose, you need to choose components which are lease slightly inclined to the main purpose ..

A distributed system doesnt need to have a motherboard designed for Gaming for once... Not that it cant be used , but a distributed COMPUTING system doesnt need So many SATA ports provided by that  motherboard and other features that might be useful for a gamer

Its just like you are trying to use stuff caz someone sponsored it .....

some time should have spent to find a stable motherboard, probably cheaper to save cash which after saving in every component can be used to get a extra GPU which would increase its computing power...

Having 2 approx ssd are also big face palm its good that he least mentions about that in the video.

Point being you tried to build a system that was capable for doing everything /// which defies the purpose of it being TAILORED for distributed computing .

Instead of doing something this overkill ,a more experienced option would have been adding another card and spending on that rather than having spent on entire system

Moreover, the MOST important thing that should be considered in these builds is the power to performance ratio as a system designed for distributed computing needs to be on most of time.

You cant justify 10% increase in performance by spending 50% more power...

In short, luke, seriously i personally think instead of studying each component and then doing the build, you just build another general purpose overkill system

Should have researched a bit , studying the power and computing factors least ( we can ignore the initial setup cost if you really want to spend too much like in the video )

I know that the build was sponsored and that you have to use the parts that were given to you. I get that. I understand that you guys don't have the flexibility to do whatever you want, as if you had the raw money from each part.........

...but this wasn't "Ultimate" AT ALL! From a Boinc/FAH builder's perspective, this was just like building a gaming PC with a 500$ case and 64gbs of RAM, but a 100$ GPU. Aka "garbage".

From the "points" perspective, a 4-way Gtx 970s / 290s would have offered MUCH more power, while costing around the same or less (dem titan....). Likewise, the 5960k is almost useless; the money would be better spent on GPUs. And that's not to mention the use of PCIe Risers, in order to allow 7-way GPU configs.

Ofc, you could argue that you are going for Boinc CPU oriented projects; in that case, you'd be better off with a muti PC farm, with a few i5s and some 300w Gold PSUs (TFX format, Seasonic) and a bunch of HDs.

While I DO appreciate the initiative a lot, I would not agree with the title. This is not a Folding/Boinc machine. This is just another gaming rig. You guys are free to build whatever you want, but it would be nice to, at the very least, say "don't buy any of these parts we're recommending, go to the forum and ask them for an actual rig instead".

(Sponsors gonna hate....)

Agree totally. Of course, yeah, you would not actually build this if you were actually building a dedicated Distributed computing system. Something nondescript, in a quiet yet cool case, and power efficient as possible are generally more important than...anything else in a home-based system. 

I feel this would have been better named "Gaming system with Distributed computing themes". 

Reminds me... I need to fix my machines... and get them running again. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Folding Team 223518 FTW

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Build was completely messed up!

Was a gaming pc and not a distributed computing one!

Moar gpuzzz?

Folding Team 223518 FTW

All hail our mighty leader, Whaler_99!

#I want that use award too......

I get the concept, but i dont understand the sofware part, how do you send tasks to this computer?

Shows you where to get the case.. More like searches NZXT Case on NCIX and Amazon for you..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146205&cm_re=noctis_450-_-11-146-205-_-Product

It's on pre-order, you're welcome.

It shows the case in the NZXT link, lol. When it's available on Amazon & NCIX we'll update.